Zeiss Victory SF review: 10x vs. 8x

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
Always nice to have some 8x around for shed hunting, can cover a lot more ground quickly with your eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue72

WKR
I’m a huge 7x guy…so naturally I prefer 8x over 10x

However, when trying to find something that is difficult to see, 10x makes a huge difference

so I own both

good example is hidden game over a mile away or Messier objects when looking at the night sky. Some don’t even show in 7/8x

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m a huge 7x guy…so naturally I prefer 8x over 10x

However, when trying to find something that is difficult to see, 10x makes a huge difference

so I own both

good example is hidden game over a mile away or Messier objects when looking at the night sky. Some don’t even show in 7/8x

No argument from me

Hefe1980

FNG
Thanks so much, this is the best review by far that I have found for these binos.

I currently hunt out west and carry a pair of Zeiss 8x42 Ht's as my primary and have been considering a lighter more compact pair. I was considering a pair of 8x32 terra ED's until I spent some time at the Cabela's counter looking through a pair. Maybe I'm just spoiled with my HT's, but I really just didn't care for them.

What about the conquest 8x32's? I can't get my hands on a pair to try in person, I'm guessing they are somewhere in between?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks so much, this is the best review by far that I have found for these binos.

I currently hunt out west and carry a pair of Zeiss 8x42 Ht's as my primary and have been considering a lighter more compact pair. I was considering a pair of 8x32 terra ED's until I spent some time at the Cabela's counter looking through a pair. Maybe I'm just spoiled with my HT's, but I really just didn't care for them.

What about the conquest 8x32's? I can't get my hands on a pair to try in person, I'm guessing they are somewhere in between?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
hey thanks man

be sure and read that other review by Roger Vine that I linked at the end of my review. He goes deeper than I did and may have even mentioned the Conquests. I haven't tried the Conquests so can't offer much more than you usually get more, although in smaller increments, as you pay more in good glass.

While I really enjoyed these 8x32 SF's.. I am absolutely in love with the Swarovski 10x32 NL's. Anyone considering an alpha 32 should try both the SF's and the NL's before deciding.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
While I really enjoyed these 8x32 SF's.. I am absolutely in love with the Swarovski 10x32 NL's. Anyone considering an alpha 32 should try both the SF's and the NL's before deciding.

Agreed. I wish I could’ve done a side-by-side. I did look through the NL my friend @ntrlbrnhunter had on a hunt last fall but that was my only comparison.

DrewskiMT

FNG
Thank you for your efforts Robby, and the entire team at Rokslide! Been watching and loving your video reviews for years and once again, as usual, they are always THE BEST!

Keep up the good work. Now I gotta get back to work so I can buy some 8x32 SF's. And yes, it is just simply "a thing" that people are either 8x people or 10x people.... Ford/Chevy potato poetahtoe. Plus 1 for 8x!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for your efforts Robby, and the entire team at Rokslide! Been watching and loving your video reviews for years and once again, as usual, they are always THE BEST!

Keep up the good work. Now I gotta get back to work so I can buy some 8x32 SF's. And yes, it is just simply "a thing" that people are either 8x people or 10x people.... Ford/Chevy potato poetahtoe. Plus 1 for 8x!

Thanks man!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I already own the SF 10x42 and love them but I'm looking to get a second/smaller pair. What are your thoughts on me adding the SF 8x42 to my collection? Worth it or not?

Ohh man! Tough question. But pretty sure you don’t need both powers.

Guess if you hunt from the truck and you’re able to swap powers easily, and you have plenty of expendable income, then you could justify both.

Last night I was glass in for about an hour with some 10 X Vortex UHD off of a tripod, and 10 X are awesome on a tripod. But once I start handholding them, I just don’t like them as much.

Definitely first world problems here. Wish I could be more helpful man.

My apologies, I meant to say 8x32. That way they are smaller and lighter for walking or sitting in a stand.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My apologies, I meant to say 8x32. That way they are smaller and lighter for walking or sitting in a stand.

OK, if you can afford both, I think you’ll be really happy to have a smaller set of optics handy. Do it!

TURNER208

FNG
Robby,

Great review! I am and have been looking at these for awhile, but have always been a 10x and wanting to try to go with 8's for the many reasons you and others list. I am mostly hunting mule deer in idaho in high country terrain or some quaky patched stuff mid elevation as a background. With 8x do you see a big disadvantage vs 10x in glassing this type of country at around a mile or so?

Shea

FNG
Robby,

Great review! I am and have been looking at these for awhile, but have always been a 10x and wanting to try to go with 8's for the many reasons you and others list. I am mostly hunting mule deer in idaho in high country terrain or some quaky patched stuff mid elevation as a background. With 8x do you see a big disadvantage vs 10x in glassing this type of country at around a mile or so?
8x32 would be a perfect addition imho. Just sayin. ;). I like 8x42 for everything. I use some ten year old Leica black leather 8x42s that weigh less than most at 26oz. They work great for me. I don’t like the higher mag for long glassing sessions because I am sensitive to eye strain. Or maybe I’m just sensitive 😂

TURNER208

FNG
8x32 would be a perfect addition imho. Just sayin. ;). I like 8x42 for everything. I use some ten year old Leica black leather 8x42s that weigh less than most at 26oz. They work great for me. I don’t like the higher mag for long glassing sessions because I am sensitive to eye strain. Or maybe I’m just sensitive 😂
Thanks for the input! I’m not a hard sell on these 😂 but just need some convincing that I won’t be missing out!

Matt G.

WKR
Seems like there is not much of a benefit of having an 8x32 vs 8x42 or 10x32 vs 10x42. How much more light is caught be the extra 10 mm objective? Sorry I having this debate and cannot get my hands on all 4 to look through. Any difference in looking in the shadows or is does the difference tend to be only early and last light.