Zeiss Victory SF review: 10x vs. 8x

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
8/17/21 Update: Final Review is here

Previous Discussion:

I’m losing track of all the optics reviews we got going on. Sorry for all the sticky’s in the optics forum!

When Zeiss released these a few months ago, I told them I’d love to test them in both powers. I’m an 8X guy, but I know a lot of you guys on here like the 10X platform. So they sent me a loaner pair of each.

Today I hit the resolution chart at mid-day.

I set them both up on tripods at 50 yards.

0d7c89c486174dc4438430bbc8262e98.jpg

Edge-to-Edge performance was equal in both powers.

Focusing on the center group on the chart, naturally the 10X could resolve one more element than the 8x. To be expected.

When I moved the 10X back to 60 yards, 20% farther to account for 20% more power (#unscientific), I was surprised to see the 10x still could resolve one more element. Usually adding distance levels the playing field. Impressive.

570456189104c2b64bd7da4e0760135e.jpg

The 8x could resolve only to Element 3 at 50 yards.

dfb705be881b25eebf582f01751ceda3.jpg

The 10x could resolve Element 4 at 50 and 60 yards.

Then I waited until after sunset to do some lowlight testing. I did it on a video as I think it best illustrates the points. I tested FOV & depth-of-field too.

If you don’t have five minutes, 10x guys stay with the 10X, 8X guys, you know why I’m staying with 8x- steadier, more FOV, and better depth-of-field.

And if you don’t need a combo RF/Bino, these little Victory "semi" compacts are really good. I’ve never really liked compact binoculars but I could see myself hunting with these. I put them both against the 8x42 Swarovski EL TA in the same conditions. The TA beat them (in twilight/resolution but with an objective that is 10mm bigger, so that's expected) but not by much at all. I wouldn’t be afraid to hunt with the Victory SF, even in low light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks Robby. Always enjoy your comparisons. Wanted to put this photo up for other wanting to compare. It is super easy to convert that 322RC head to mount both binos on the same tripod (and I’d used the bigger more stable Swarovski of the two you are showing)

77E10103-71AC-4001-B1EE-049637AEDEA8.png

And with a little bit of foam to line things up, a guy can get a little carried away 😊

19C4FE30-BCFB-4477-AC35-1CF17FC9957E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Robby. Always enjoy your comparisons. Wanted to put this photo up for other wanting to compare. It is super easy to convert that 322RC head to mount both binos on the same tripod (and I’d used the bigger more stable Swarovski of the two you are showing)

View attachment 283484

And with a little bit of foam to line things up, a guy can get a little carried away

View attachment 283487

Steve!!!! We’re going to change your screen name to The Comparator

My 322 is out in the field right now so I can’t look at it. Did you drill a hole in the side of it for that other mount? Or is it just an available 1/4-20 hole?

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I have the SF 8X32 and love them, but it took a bit to adjust them so I wasn't plagued with blackouts. I can now use them comfortably and they are all I need. Roger Vine does an excellent review of the 10X32's and he says they're the best 32mm binoculars he's ever tested, but to put that in perspective he also says in comparison to the Conquests; "All those little refinements do sum up to make the SFs a significantly nicer binocular ... but three times nicer? Go ahead and treat yourself to the SFs, knowing the Conquests were probably all you needed."

We're mainly birders that do daily walks. For this purpose, we'd like high-quality glass that's also easy to take for our 3-5 mile outings. My wife is an ornithologist, so I have an insta-expert for bird ID. For work, she's used a pair of Swaro EL 10x42 SVs for the last decade. Fantastic, but heavy.

I demoed (by purchasing) several new models including the Swaro 8.5x42 EL Field Pros, the Swaro 10x32 CL B, and the Zeiss 8x32 Victory SF. We did several weeks of side-by-side comparison. Nearly all of this was during daytime hours, an hour or two after dawn, and sometimes near dusk. IMHO, the Zeiss 8x-32 SF were the finest pair of binos we'd used. My wife was stunned, honestly. Within a few days, we'd have the "who get's the Zeiss" discussion before our walks.

A/B comparision with the Swaros showed almost no discernable optical differences. Perhaps the contrast was a tad better in the Zeiss, while the Swaros had a tiny bit better crispness at the edge of the frame. CA was clearly better in the Zeiss. Ergonomics also enormously favored the Zeiss. Far lighter than the 42 Els, and better balanced.

Also, for our vision, I found it easy to find a sweet spot in vision with both the Zeiss and all the Swaros. If I'm really picky, the Swaro's have ever-so-slightly longer eye relief, which is good as we both wear glasses. For both brands, we were able to easily find a viewing position that showed the full-frame through glasses, including the lovey little 10x30 CLs. Actually, the CLs probably had the easiest view of all these, thanks again to that "optical box", though the FOV was limited compared to the ELs and SF.

Given all this, I sold the Swaro 8.5x42s and kept the Zeiss 8x32 SF and Swaro 10x30 CL B to go with my wife's long-lasting older 10x42 ELs. Again, in my opinion and considering all factors in my use case, we prefer the Zeiss 8x32 SF over the Swaros, though any of these are outstanding binos. The ease of use of the Zeiss, including the low weight, excellent balance, and superior focus knob swing things in their favor. Of course, YMMV.

BTW, the little Swaro 10x30 CL B is a gem as well. This has an incredibly easy view, via the "optical box", and its small size means that I'm often grabbing that pair when I head out alone for a quick morning walk.

MGq7Ka1.jpg

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Steve!!!! We’re going to change your screen name to The Comparator

My 322 is out in the field right now so I can’t look at it. Did you drill a hole in the side of it for that other mount? Or is it just an available 1/4-20 hole?

That head comes drilled and tapped in both locations...there are a couple rubber plugs that you just pop out and you are good to mount in either (or in our case, BOTH) locations.

JDZ

WKR
Thanks for the review. These types of things really help the majority of us that can hardly find a place to look through quality glass, much less compare some side by side or purchase multiple pieces.

When I moved the 10X back to 60 yards, 20% farther to account for 20% more power (#unscientific)

For future reference, if you had 8x at 50 yards, you would have to move to 62.5 yards to level the playing field for 10x. 10x is 25% more power than 8x.

8x/50 = 10x/62.5

'cuz math...

Ronb

WKR
Keep in mind. On a tripod the 10’s do resolve better at equal distances. But they may not in the real world due to hand shake. Or even brightness at dawn or dusk. Even on a tripod, if its not rock solid you might not see the gains from the 10’s. That’s why many choose the 8’s.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the review. These types of things really help the majority of us that can hardly find a place to look through quality glass, much less compare some side by side or purchase multiple pieces.

For future reference, if you had 8x at 50 yards, you would have to move to 62.5 yards to level the playing field for 10x. 10x is 25% more power than 8x.

8x/50 = 10x/62.5

'cuz math...

You’re welcome. And yes thanks for the math. Do note my disqualifier in the original post. “#unscientific”. Hahahah

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind. On a tripod the 10’s do resolve better at equal distances. But they may not in the real world due to hand shake. Or even brightness at dawn or dusk. Even on a tripod, if its not rock solid you might not see the gains from the 10’s. That’s why many choose the 8’s.

Yes Ronb. That’s why I’ve stayed with 8x too all these years. Used 7x for over a decade and was happy with those too.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We're mainly birders that do daily walks. For this purpose, we'd like high-quality glass that's also easy to take for our 3-5 mile outings. My wife is an ornithologist, so I have an insta-expert for bird ID. For work, she's used a pair of Swaro EL 10x42 SVs for the last decade. Fantastic, but heavy.

I demoed (by purchasing) several new models including the Swaro 8.5x42 EL Field Pros, the Swaro 10x32 CL B, and the Zeiss 8x32 Victory SF. We did several weeks of side-by-side comparison. Nearly all of this was during daytime hours, an hour or two after dawn, and sometimes near dusk. IMHO, the Zeiss 8x-32 SF were the finest pair of binos we'd used. My wife was stunned, honestly. Within a few days, we'd have the "who get's the Zeiss" discussion before our walks.

A/B comparision with the Swaros showed almost no discernable optical differences. Perhaps the contrast was a tad better in the Zeiss, while the Swaros had a tiny bit better crispness at the edge of the frame. CA was clearly better in the Zeiss. Ergonomics also enormously favored the Zeiss. Far lighter than the 42 Els, and better balanced.

Also, for our vision, I found it easy to find a sweet spot in vision with both the Zeiss and all the Swaros. If I'm really picky, the Swaro's have ever-so-slightly longer eye relief, which is good as we both wear glasses. For both brands, we were able to easily find a viewing position that showed the full-frame through glasses, including the lovey little 10x30 CLs. Actually, the CLs probably had the easiest view of all these, thanks again to that "optical box", though the FOV was limited compared to the ELs and SF.

Given all this, I sold the Swaro 8.5x42s and kept the Zeiss 8x32 SF and Swaro 8x30 CL B to go with my wife's long-lasting older 10x42 ELs. Again, in my opinion and considering all factors in my use case, we prefer the Zeiss 8x32 SF over the Swaros, though any of these are outstanding binos. The ease of use of the Zeiss, including the low weight, excellent balance, and superior focus knob swing things in their favor. Of course, YMMV.

BTW, the little Swaro 8x30 CL B is a gem as well. This has an incredibly easy view, via the "optical box", and its small size means that I'm often grabbing that pair when I head out alone for a quick morning walk.

MGq7Ka1.jpg

Thanks for sharing all this!!! Great info. Nice inventory

Thanks. And i just noted a typo in my writeup. The Swaro CLs we have are the 10x30 B version, not the 8x30 I occasionally referenced. By bad, sorry!

DRUSS

WKR
Great review!!
I got a pair of 8x42 SF last year and think they are great for my coastal hunting and hiking that I spend most of my time doing.

We're still looking for a true compact set as well. Given our good experience with the Zeiss SF 32s, I just ordered a Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. From what I've read, the eye relief is good on these; in fact, some have commented that these are easier to use with glassess than without. I'll post back our experience when they arrive.

We're still looking for a true compact set as well. Given our good experience with the Zeiss SF 32s, I just ordered a Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. From what I've read, the eye relief is good on these; in fact, some have commented that these are easier to use with glassess than without. I'll post back our experience when they arrive.

I have both the Victory Pocket 8x and the 8x32 SF. They are both fantastic. The VP’s are indeed very easy to use. They actually have too much eye relief for me. To get the best viewing experience out of them, I put a pair of winged eye cups on them and then trimmed the wings down by a large amount. The extra diameter created by this holds them just a tiny bit further away from my eyes and is perfect now.
I find myself using them all of the time and taking them places I normally wouldn’t carry binos.
It’s only when I compare back and forth between the two that the huge fov is noticeable on the SF’s.
When I just have the VP’s with me, I hardly every wish for the larger 32’s.

Hence why I have a pair of like new 8x32 SF’s for sale in the optics classifieds : )

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
9524f46d60c80b7c9f632743e00ca69f.jpg

10e374fbb1b836d8eb194726abf2db83.jpg

815aee17a85e15d557d07823f20576ad.jpg

78116d8630a5876f6dfb5e77cb141a20.jpg

OK my son and I spent a weekend hunting sheds. I didn’t tell him what I was up to with this test.

We took both binoculars and traded them off throughout the two days that we were there.

About half way through I asked him if he had a preference between the two binoculars. Keep in mind he’s only 15 years old and doesn’t really grasp the concept of FOV vs power.

With no idea of what I prefer, he said that while the 10X did allow him to zoom in on objects a little better, he just felt that he could “see“ more with the 8X.

This has been my experience for decades. I can’t even really put my finger on it, but that big FOV just seems to work better when glassing. No doubt the 10X is better when you can get a steady and you’re looking at something specific, but for general scanning, I’m still convinced I see more with the 8X

But for the two days that we spent with these optics, I really like the lighter platform of these SFs. You hardly know they’re around your neck.

I really think if you’re taking long steep hikes for your hunting style and you carry a dedicated RF, you’d like these smaller Zeiss binos

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I also have the SF 8X32 and I am also a big 8X32 fan. We did a test years ago glassing for elk using Nikon SE 8X32 and 10X42 and all three people preferred the 8X.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I also have the SF 8X32 and I am also a big 8X32 fan. We did a test years ago glassing for elk using Nikon SE 8X32 and 10X42 and all three people preferred the 8X.

Thanks for the feedback Kenn.

I promise I’m not making this 8x stuff up everybody.

Ten Bears

WKR
I recently purchased Diablos 8x32 SFs and sold my 10x42 ELs since. I have owned the SFs in 8x42 Gen 1, 10x42 Gen 2, Field pro ELs, and now these 8x32 SFs and these are my favorite of the bunch. Pretty much a perfect bino in my opinion.

Now I am looking at some used 12ELs or SLC15’s for tripod use.