You've carried a suppressed rifle far and wide

Antares

WKR
You need to be aware of what “expansion” means in this regard. At 1,400fps the nose barely starts to open (caliber size at best), and the wound created is no better than a blunt tipped field point arrow.

For a 308, especially a short barreled 308, you want to be in soft bullets- ELD-M’s, TMK’s, etc. Maybe the ELD-X’s, though even those aren’t needed.

Would you include the A-MAX in that list? That's what I shoot in my 20" .308.

You need to be aware of what “expansion” means in this regard. At 1,400fps the nose barely starts to open (caliber size at best), and the wound created is no better than a blunt tipped field point arrow.

For a 308, especially a short barreled 308, you want to be in soft bullets- ELD-M’s, TMK’s, etc. Maybe the ELD-X’s, though even those aren’t needed.

Agreed on the expansion point and that's why I'm keeping it at a 400 yard gun, where the velocity should be 1800 or so. That's what (for example) a 300 win mag should be doing at 750.

I'm hung up on the TA for it's soft tip and solid shank. I've shot a lot of deer with the eld-m and the amax of old at 2000 ish impact velocities. Always impressed with the damage done to internals on a chest shot, worried that a big animal like an elk needs a sturdier bullet.

What I should do is get a scope with a useful reticle to slap on the 270 win and go after them again with that. 136 TA at 3050 mv blew straight through a shoulder and out the ribs at 330. Or grab a tikka and cut it to 20.

Analysis paralysis? Probably.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Agreed on the expansion point and that's why I'm keeping it at a 400 yard gun, where the velocity should be 1800 or so. That's what (for example) a 300 win mag should be doing at 750.

I'm hung up on the TA for it's soft tip and solid shank. I've shot a lot of deer with the eld-m and the amax of old at 2000 ish impact velocities. Always impressed with the damage done to internals on a chest shot, worried that a big animal like an elk needs a sturdier bullet.

What I should do is get a scope with a useful reticle to slap on the 270 win and go after them again with that. 136 TA at 3050 mv blew straight through a shoulder and out the ribs at 330. Or grab a tikka and cut it to 20.

I have used TA’s quite a bit and have killed with them, including elk, down to 1,970’ish FPS. The wound channels are ridiculously narrow below 2,100’ish FPS. Below 2,000’ish FPS they are creating 9mm FMJ sized wounds. The “expansion” they advertise is advertisement.

This, does not create a good wounds-

D8C9F7B9-40BA-41D8-A3F9-DEA1582CEABE.jpeg

Below about 2,200fps you are not getting permanent secondary wounding effects (temporary stretch cavity) so only what the bullet physically touches is damaged. With near 100% weight retention- which means no fragments to increase wound size, you are getting FMJ pistol bullet wounds. If someone is good with that, ok. But that’s factually what they are doing. TA’s are great bullets for people that are shooting magnums at animals sub 300 yards or so, with the occasional 500’ish yard, and who believe high weight retention is good. 300 RUM, 28 Nosler, even 7RM- yeah. A 16” 308 win used past 300?

Elk are not magical and do not need anything more than an ELD-M or AMAX. I average around 15 elk each year that I am directly apart of, and almost all are killed with ELD-M/X, TMK’s, or Bergers.

Thanks for the
Elk are not magical and do not need anything more than an ELD-M or AMAX. I average around 15 elk each year that I am directly apart of, and almost all are killed with ELD-M/X, TMK’s, or Bergers.

Thanks for the data points! I have a really solid eldm load, sounds like the ticket.

Your comment does reflect my single experience with TA if I'm honest with myself - tiny holes in and out with limited internal damage.

OP
Trackselk

Trackselk

WKR
-deleted my post.
Ha, I was on page 2 and answered the question Form already elaborated on, I'd listen to him...

Last edited:

JSMITT6

FNG
I have had 26" rifles for a few years and just last year did a 20" barrel... I am never going back to anything over 20". The shorter the better!

ElPollo

WKR
I think the real “Ah ha!” moment happens at 18”.
Agreed. I currently have a 16” 6.5 creed and an 18” 300 WSM that use an AB Raptor 8-stack with a 3” reflex. Would not go longer. I prefer more can and less barrel whenever possible.

OP
Trackselk

Trackselk

WKR
Very happy with the velocities i'm getting out of the new 18" 22 creedmoor. Looks like the final loads are going to end up between 3400-3500 fps with a 70 grain mono (bulldozer 2).
18" of drop at 500 with a 300 yard zero. Now that's a trajectory that really limits the chance of wounding something...

Rambler

FNG
Not trying to be the “pressure police”, but Hodgdon has published and pressure tested data for .22 Creedmoor. I’d encourage all .22 Creedmoor owners to look at it!

Last edited:

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
90% of folks hunt suppressed in NZ. The South Island of NZ has narly steep mountians. Most of those are over barrel suppressor options which reduces the amount of muzzle forward supressor you need. My recommendation is go as light as possible on a hunting rifle. I use dpt suppressors when in NZ (not really an option in the US unfortunately), pretty sure they're the lightest out there?

Thoughts on the 16.5 308 for elk? I have a shorty that I love and trust completely for accuracy out to 500.

Was thinking with the velocity it's probably a 400 yard gun at the most, but I like being closer anyway. My 178 eld-m load goes 2450 with an ultra 9 on the end, factory 175 gold medal closer to 2400.

Planning to buy some 175 terminal ascent to check out for accuracy this year in prep for another rifle hunt. Federal specs the minimum velocity for this bullet at 1400 FPS which is about 700 yards according to my calcluators. Not taking any shots near that far, so looks okay.
I limit my 18" barrel to 400 or less, usually 300 or less. But I'm a person who enjoys a huge margin for error when shooting at living things. When I reach past that I'm running a 22" seekins havak element in 300 win on elk or the same in 6.5 PRC for lopes and mule deer. But that shorty 308 does great for lots of scenarios. Killed a pile of elk with it in the timber.

OP
Trackselk

Trackselk

WKR
Not trying to be the “pressure police”, but Hodgdon has published and pressure tested data for .22 Creedmoor. I’d encourage all .22 Creedmoor owners to look at it!
I agree, I paid the $20 for a year of XXL reloading data, and good thing I did, as I didn't even get close to book max before I had a leaky primer. Mono bullets with no pressure relief grooves...