youth opportunities

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
I have been doing a little research here, but not finding much.... wondering if there are any youth hunt opportunities that I should be looking into (limited hints that are OTC for youth or something like that).... my son has got the hunting bug big time, and if there are OTC hunts that he can do I dont want him to miss out!

Alaska allows 9yr olds to buy their own tags. AZ and Wy allow youth to buy points at 10 and hunt at 12. Plenty of deer in TX, SC, Al

We're in Minnesota, he hunts the youth waterfowl hunt and youth deer hunt In MN, I was going to take him on a bear hunt next fall, but I recently found out he needs points to draw (I thought it was OTC for youth in MN). I'll start buying him points in the spring, but looking for hunts we can do in the next few years that don't require points, and I'd prefer to stick to big game.

New Mexico used to have a couple of awesome youth only cow elk seasons. But, they changed it this year so non-residents are no longer eligible. Hoping they change it back, but thats doubtful. They still have youth only deer seasons. These hunts are through a draw and you probably won’t get any of the good units as a non-resident. But, you will almost definitely draw something. I am doing one of those hunts with my 12 year old daughter in a couple of weeks.

If you’re looking to bear hunt Oregon isn’t bad for out of state hunters. Just a general hunting license and fall non resident bear tag is needed. If he’s under twelve you can mentor him on your tag. Mid August is a great time as the bears are hitting the blackberries pretty hard.

I'm part of the National Wild Turkey Coundation. We have Jake's program where we take kids 12 and over. Look into your local chapter to see if its something they do. With our program every kid gets a gun of some type.

I took three kids each of the last three years. Its awesome.

Man being in MN look at turkey hunts. Super exciting, easy tags to get and cheap. MO,KS,NE,AR. All have youth hunts and couple of those place youth tags like $14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! We do hunt turkeys here as well, I have access to lots of private land for turkey hunting.

Nebraska offers a really good youth hunting program, youth permits doe permits are cheap and the season is long.

In Oregon you can buy him points (buck deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and I think antlerless deer) from age 9 on he can hunt on his own tag at age 12. For those who hunt Oregon they can sign the child up for Mentored youth from age 9 to 16 and they get one point each year that they can use for any hunt. In addition kids can get a first time tag. I think the program work like this, they have to put in for a hunt and not draw it and if the hunt has a minimum amount of tags like 150 for deer and 250 for elk (or something like that) they can use a first time garenteed youth tag. We also have alot of youth only deer, bear and elk tags. Lots of the elk tags are good unit wide antlerless tags good for begining of August to end of November. PM me if you want more info on what units you may want to look at.

Nebraska is way to cheap for non residents. . . I live here - sigh!

While there isn't tons of public land to hunt, there is some, and there are also some willing land owners along river coridors that have way to many deer.

Youth Non resident tags cost . . . . Wait for it. . . $8. That's not a typo, it's $8. Age limit is 10 for deer. Turkeys are also $8 for youth with no minimum age,. Turkeys are also damn near a problem in many areas, making permission easier to come by.

So for $319 for yourself and $8 for your kid you could be hunting deer in Nebraska! Or for $139 for yourself and $8 for your kid you could be turkey hunting. . . Or hell do both, fall turkey season is open during rifle deer season and you could do a combo hunt.

Just stay in a hotel, or support a restaurant in one of the small towns to help support them, since we are basically giving away youth tags!!!

But reality is it is a great deal!

Also if he's into archery, youth statewide antelope tags go for $13.50. . . Think adult price is just over $185

*I included habitat stamps for adult prices but not kids, non resident youth may need them- $30

I have been doing a little research here, but not finding much.... wondering if there are any youth hunt opportunities that I should be looking into (limited hints that are OTC for youth or something like that).... my son has got the hunting bug big time, and if there are OTC hunts that he can do I dont want him to miss out!
I’ve done awesome youth hunts with my teenage sons for antelope in NM and mule deer in Idaho. Also, if a parent obtains a general deer tag in Montana the children can obtain deer tags at reduced price. Montana can be a great hunt for youth because in the right areas deer populations are high.

Back