Youth Hunt Opportunities/Tags/Hunts etc

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
My son is 8 years old (will be turning 9 this october) and this past fall the hunting bug bit him...... very hard....lol Anyway he wants to do it all and keeps talking about going on hunting trips with me etc.

I have listened to a few podcasts that I found regarding youth hunt opportunities out west etc. And I was wondering if any fellow roksliders cared to shed some light on some youth opportunities out west or even midwest, etc. I have looked at some of the Texas youth hunts as well. From what I am researching there are opportunties for reduced price tags, special hunts, or if like I draw a tag, I can pick up a youth tag for him as well in certain states.

If you don't want any specific info on the web, as always feel free to send via Private message.

KenLee

WKR
If you can score someone to take him on early youth Saturday in South Carolina, there is no tag or license needed. Different date youth days for the 4 separate game zones, so there are options on timing

Not sure of your budget, but Alaska has some of the best opportunities for youth in the country. No age restriction. Under the age of 10, they can punch any tag on behalf of a licensed hunter (you). So you could go on a deer hunt and both kill multiple deer (dependent on unit) or a black bear hunt in some units and both shoot a black bear. Past the age of 10, they can hold their own tags.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
If you can score someone to take him on early youth Saturday in South Carolina, there is no tag or license needed. Different date youth days for the 4 separate game zones, so there are options on timing
thanks I may look up the dates, usually their season's are pretty early down there, we also have youth day in Virginia and West Virginia I can get him on easily

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Not sure of your budget, but Alaska has some of the best opportunities for youth in the country. No age restriction. Under the age of 10, they can punch any tag on behalf of a licensed hunter (you). So you could go on a deer hunt and both kill multiple deer (dependent on unit) or a black bear hunt in some units and both shoot a black bear. Past the age of 10, they can hold their own tags.
that may be out of my state worker budget, but regardless I will research it lol. That is one state I hadnt thought to look at, thank you very much

KenLee

WKR
He could hunt without any fees, but needs a licensed hunter at least 21 I think with him.
I'd offer, but I always have 2 borrowed midgets already spoken for morning and afternoon/evening.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
If looking to special youth only hunts/seasons, I believe you will find 10yo being the minimum required age for Alaska and few other mountain states, and then the rest being 12yo. As WS mentioned above, in AK your kiddo could punch your or another supervising adult on a regular adult hunt, but can’t do youth hunt or participate in the draw system until 10yo (at the time of the hunt applied for, not entering the draw system).

I believe AZ, NM, CO, and one other state is also 10. Huntinfool has a list of youth hunts and age requirements for each state’s draw system—I use them for entering all the states for sheep for myself and starting this year my now 11Yo daughter. While their service has some costs for the adult, adding a kid is mostly just the tag cost. Even if you don’t use a tag draw service, their websites can often have some good info on what states offer specific youth hunts.

KenLee

WKR
If looking to special youth only hunts/seasons, I believe you will find 10yo being the minimum required age for Alaska and few other mountain states, and then the rest being 12yo. As WS mentioned above, in AK your kiddo could punch your or another supervising adult on a regular adult hunt, but can’t do youth hunt or participate in the draw system until 10yo (at the time of the hunt applied for, not entering the draw system).

I believe AZ, NM, CO, and one other state is also 10. Huntinfool has a list of youth hunts and age requirements for each state’s draw system—I use them for entering all the states for sheep for myself and starting this year my now 11Yo daughter. While their service has some costs for the adult, adding a kid is mostly just the tag cost. Even if you don’t use a tag draw service, their websites can often have some good info on what states offer specific youth hunts.
South and North Carolina have no minimum age for youth hunt. I have no clue on other states.

Felix40

WKR

New Mexico has no minimum age.

Colorado is 12.

CMF

WKR
To put in for New Mexico you will need hunter education, but you can get that online now at any age. NM has been good to us, my 11 yo son drew elk last year, and my 14yo daughter drew oryx this year. There is info here on the hunter ed: https://theoutdoortribe.com/hunter-education-how-to-get-certified-any-age-or-residency/
Colorado has a NR youth elk tag for $107 and youth have priority in secondary draw. My daughter drew a decent tag this year, but we had to return it since she had the oryx tag too.
Montana, you can purchase a youth deer license and maybe elk too, if you draw a license.
My 9yo killed his first deer this year(in MS) and completed his hunter ed, so I'll probably start applying him this year.

BrentH

WKR
My son is turning 10 soon, so I have been compiling my list.

New Mexico - No age requirement
Washington - No age requirement
Oregon - 9 under the mentor program, 12 to apply for tags I believe.
Idaho - 10 years old
Other western states are either 11 or 12 years old.

Arizona youth mentored camps for elk, deer and javelin and youth tags were what my kids did from age 12 till they turned 18. Cow hunts line up to fall break, javelina tags hit school holiday. Game wardens & real solid volunteers help on the youth camps.

Like mentioned no age limit in WA and NM. Both have youth only draws that are decent tags. I know Nebraska is like $10 for a youth doe tag. Not sure on age limit though. I believe SD is also like $10 for a youth doe tag. Same thing on age.

WA has a lot of bears and the tag is cheap for non res youth.

Another thought is to take him to the midwest/west where he is allowed to kill coyotes and kill coyotes for a week. He would get a lot more action and seeing a coyote running into the call is pretty fun. Maybe even skin 1 out and make a hat or a set of mittens.