Your thoughts on which Nightforce ?

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my situation. I currently have 1 NXS 3.5-15 x 50 that I will keep it. I have two guns that need scopes. One is a 7MM Mag the other is a 6.5 PRC. Both are new custom rifles.

First question, which gun gets the 3.5-15 x 50.

The second gun will get either the NX8 2.5-20 x 50, NX8 4-32 x 50 or ACTAR 4-16 x 42.

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Will use both guns for hunting to the gun’s reasonable limits. 7MM elk size animals and 6.5 deer size.

I do not have experience using the scopes but I bought the NX8 2.5-20 and returned it. I ended up buying the ATACR 4-16x42 in MOA but never mounted it. I think I’m going to get the same one in MILs and sell this one. It’s a sweet scope.

IDShane

WKR
I have 4 - 4-32 x 50's on my guns and I love them. I really like to have the consistency in all of my guns they are mostly set up the same way just different calibers.

I have 2 NXS 5.5-22x56s and 2 NX8 2.5-20x50s. Me personally, I’m an NX8 2.5-20 fan. I specifically did not go with the 4-32. I’m also a SFP fan for hunting.

Edit… oops, I have 3 NX8 2.5-20s. I’m putting the 3rd on a new build.

I’m a big fan of the 4-16 ATACR. It would work for any of them out to further than you want to shoot. Slap it on the more compact rifle and start shooting

inkedspot

FNG
I use two (2) 2.5-20 F1 NX8 and one 2.5-10 NXS. You didn't list it in your post but consideration would need to be given to whether the other scope that is not the 3-15NXS is first focal plane or second.

I love the 2.5-20 F1 NX8 but the reticle is very fine and with my eyes it is not of much use until the scope is at minimum of 6x, realistically 8x. That cuts the useful range of the scope a bunch. If one of the rifles would be used in an area where you need low magnification to be able to take a fast shot on a close target - put the second focal plane scope 3-15 NXS on that rifle. It will leave you with a useable reticle that you can see at 3x.

Just my $0.02

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
I love my sfp 2.5-20 nx8 with moar reticle for hunting. Have and have had several other nf scopes including atacrs, but I think the nx8 2.5-20 has been my absolute favorite.

The 11 yard parallax is nice and I love the floating dot reticle that the sfp version has.

The compact size is nice, but can be a bit of a challenge to mount depending on setup.
Never had an issue with eyebox. I think most people who do have eye relief issues can't get the scope back far enough due to the short tube of scope and running out of space. Take the time to mount properly and this is a non issue.

Good luck with your search

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses. I actually have the two NX8s and the ACTAR 4-16 are all first focal.

Wrench

WKR
They all balance differently. Pick the one that looks and feels right. You can't out shoot any of them at even elr hunting ranges. There's no wrong answer.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve used all 3. I have several NXS 3-15x50’s. Great scope, but at the max I want in SFP. The little NX8 is a fickle one, hard to get behind. It didn’t stay long. The big NX8 is great, but the reticle is mostly unusable below about 8x in ffp. The SFP model is just dumb. It’s my preferred dedicated LR scope where any short range shots will be unlikely. The ATACR is optically great, I just have no need for a 34mm tube. Can make some rifles feel top heavy too.

Soooo, I say put the NXS on whichever one might see some shorter range duty (although it still plenty capable at LR), and the big NX8 on the dedicated LR gun.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Great question JFK. Two reasons. 1. A client/customer has already had all 3 delivered to my house said keep them all or keep one and return the other two to him. 2. For decades I used other brands and decided to take the Nightforce leap 18 months ago. I loved the NXS. So staying with nothing ventured nothing gained. Trying something new. I am hoping to find one with better clarity and max power and with better parallax than the NXS.

SDHNTR

WKR
Great question JFK. Two reasons. 1. A client/customer has already had all 3 delivered to my house said keep them all or keep one and return the other two to him. 2. For decades I used other brands and decided to take the Nightforce leap 18 months ago. I loved the NXS. So staying with nothing ventured nothing gained. Trying something new. I am hoping to find one with better clarity and max power and with better parallax than the NXS.
The NX8 glass is a marginal step up from NXS. May or may not be worth it to you considering the natural tradeoffs that come with an (unnecessary) 8x erector. I sure wish Nightforce would make a NX4 or 5, or something to that effect. Or a 4-16 with ATACR glass in a 30 mil tube.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Going to look further this week, but right now the winner would be one of the NX8s

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, here is where I am with this. I continue to really like the NXS when compared to the others. All great products, but th NXS is being discontinued soon and already hard to find. I have the other three in hand. I am going to go with the NX8 4-32 x 50. Here is why. It is very similar to the NXS 3.5-15 x 50 in size. Looks good on those rifles. The optics are great. The reticle on 16 power in FF is the same size or smaller than the NXS on 15 in SF. I like that. I have the option to go up for reasons state by others. And as for the lower power, I played a lot with it today and if take 2 seconds to reach up and turn the illumination on you can see just fine at 4 power.

I did not like the ACTAR 4-16 x 42. Just never “got into the scope” right on those rifles. Clarity etc all great. Just not a good fit for me and that rifle style.

I did like the NX8 2.5-20 x 50 a lot, but it does not provide any advantages over the 4-32 as I saw it.