Your take on classified ad "price deleting".

BigSky

WKR
What's anybody else's take on deleting prices from classified ads? I know, I know, first world problems. Anyway, it's a forum for conversation on topics and this one is annoying, not life-changing, but annoying. When I try to sell something I look for two things. First, I look for someone else who has posted a WTB ad. That's a topic for another time. Then, I check to see what others have sold for or, at least, what they have listed for. If they have sold, it was probably sold somewhere near the final listing price. However, it is extremely difficult to do "market research" when people delete their ad, assuming it sells quickly enough or they edit their ad to replace the asking price with the word "sold". Is it so hard just to ad the word "sold" to your ad rather than deleting the price in inserting "sold" in its place. And before anybody jumps down my throat, I don't think the buyer and seller should be required to disclose the deal they reached.

As a tangential topic, I think it is wrong to delete your whole ad so that there is no reference for the parties involved when a conflict may arise later as to "what was included" or "claimed condition" or "promises made" or other terms that may end up in dispute. My pucker factor goes through the roof if, immediately after I have consummated a deal as a buyer, I see the entire ad from the seller has been deleted. I'm not trying to stir the pot I would just like others take on my original topic. As usual, it's probably just me.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
I agree and it's bothered me as well. Not sure why they do that. I like to see what things are going for. I thought the mods did it?

Adjacent to your post, I realized not too long ago you can mark it as sold yourself which is a nice feature.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
It automatically locks once you change the prefix to sold. Pretty easy, just select the “…” at the top or bottom of the original listing, select edit then there’s a green arrow next to the prefix that opens a menu where you select “sold”.

as someone who sells its not wise to delete your sold history, thinking from a marketing point of view doesn't seem logical.

Wrench

WKR
I hate when the price disappears. Sometimes I get on a buying spree and forget if the price includes shipping....etc.

gburk

WKR
I would like to hear from someone on the other side of this argument - why remove the price? I never understood it.

Axle

FNG
Never understood why people delete the price, makes no sense. Leave the price and definitely lock the thread and/or mark the pedic sold.
I sold some stuff on a different forum years ago. If it was a popular item or I priced it cheap or something, I would sometimes delete the price and write "$ SOLD" so people would stop sending me messages about it. Even if I changed the title to "This is Sold" people would still be sending me messages about it.

Taking away the price seemed to solve that problem for the most part.

I sold some stuff on a different forum years ago. If it was a popular item or I priced it cheap or something, I would sometimes delete the price and write "$ SOLD" so people would stop sending me messages about it. Even if I changed the title to "This is Sold" people would still be sending me messages about it.

Taking away the price seemed to solve that problem for the most part.
I can see how that makes sense, thanks for explaining it.

Yes the mods would very much appreciate if you marked your item as sold and lock the thread.

Like putting a shopping cart away, those that don't do it shouldn't be afforded the luxury of using it next time.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk
This actually made me laugh but I’m in agreement.

I would like to hear from someone on the other side of this argument - why remove the price? I never understood it.
There really is none. It evens out the playing field between buyer/seller. Any market manipulation you could achieve on a tiny hunting classifieds forum is easily undone by a couple seconds of research on other sales sites.
I’d be way more worried about scams when moving big $$ for some of these optics, which is why I don’t use the classifieds.