Your Second Layer?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Good question. One for you - what have you tried that did and did not work all that well, or why are you asking?

I would say a 1/4 zip fleece hoody, but I'd freeze my ass off most of the time if that was the case. So have been layering a FL Sawtooth vest with fleece hoody for that "on the move" scenario you give, which obvoiusly isn't just a 2nd layer since I add to it. I think when it is cold, it would be more efficient to use an "active insulation" type layer that is warmer and perhaps lighter than a fleece. To answer your question - best fleece replacment I have found, for me, is an arctyrex atom lt hoody to balance weight, breathability, fit, and warmth etc. I run cold honestly so I'd still have a fleece under it most times.

I've tried doing it a lot of different ways (this is all when cold, like < 20F, when above that no need):
- with a down or softshell vest
- a baselayer + kuiu kenai or patagonia nano air. Using dead bird atom lt is my favorite right now.
- a baselayer + fleece + softshell (works reasonably well, throw puffy over that), fleec + softshell vest
- with FL brooks sweater (worked decent but not great for obvious reasons, wanted to see how it would do with sweat).
- baselayer + FL catalyst (worked pretty damn well, I just don't like the catalyst cut)
- baselayer + sawtooth jacket (this is a pretty $ combo, but sucks in the rain/snow)

I got the new SG Cirque jacket to wear all day when it is really cold and I am cruising around in rifle. We'll see.

Looking forward to the responses here.
I have used several over the years.

My favorite was the hybrid jacket from Kryptek but they don't make it anymore. I used the Sawtooth but I'm a sweater and it doesn't dry very fast and if it's raining it will never dry out. I really like the hybrid jacket from Rab but it kept ripping. For the last two years, I have used the Peloton 240 but it's almost too warm and I'm lazy about taking shit off and on. Great piece of gear though. Thick non bonded fleece might be the answer because I am a little husky and run hot chasing @Jim Carr around the mountains.

Last edited:
OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Towards the end of the season I grabbed a SitkaArrowhead (division of Sitka-their tactical line) Alpha Direct mid-layer hoody. This was purchased based on the very good experience I had with Sitka's Active hoody (also Polartec Alpha Direct)- which sans sleeves is only good for earlier season stuff.

I really like my Sitka Core Heavyweight hoody, but this jacket simply outperforms it on the move.

It's highly breathable, which means if it's windy- I have to add a windshirt over it.

It's the best active layer I've owned to date and I've owned a lot of them :)
Full ZIp?

Tick

WKR
Kelvin vest for spot to spot hiking. 240 or Jetstream if slow hunting.

I try to make myself slow down instead of stripping a layer. Couple years ago had a 6X bull walk up at 14 yds while I was tangled up taking a jacket off.

Lowg08

WKR
I’m a horrible sweater too. I’ve not found the perfect set up yet. Been a trial and error thing for me too. Im also interested in the responses. If I wear the Klamath over my base. They are both soaked. Wore a chama exp over my base. Soaked both of them. Im
Still soaked when it’s only a 150 base layer in 15 degrees. I did try the sawtooth vest. Same issue as you. I start with hip vents open and the whole 9

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Full ZIp?

it's full zip w/ two zipped hand pockets, nice functional hood, the outer fabric breathes really well, but provides a modicum of wind/precip protection; no inner fabric- it's just "naked" Alpha Direct

Clarktar

WKR
From late October to December on hunts where I hike in the dark, get to a spot, glass for a few hours at daybreak then move and glass all day I pretty much have my BL figured out, But I am constantly changing what I take for a second layer. Most of the time this is my outer layer till I stop to glass. What are you guys using?
Outdoor research deviator hoody. Check out the review on outdoor gear lab. You can find them on eBay (OR discontinued).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I’ve had the same problem for years. I’ve finally found a good system. For me, I use a SS merino 125 base layer, Kuiu Peloton 97 zip t, and then a Jetstream jacket. The merino keeps me warm, the light synthetic wicks the moisture away, and the Jetstream adds more warmth with the fleece backer and stops the wind. It works for me. I bring the LPP to finish off my top layering system because my mid layer isn’t the warmest.

Lowg08

WKR
it's full zip w/ two zipped hand pockets, nice functional hood, the outer fabric breathes really well, but provides a modicum of wind/precip protection; no inner fabric- it's just "naked" Alpha Direct
I was just looking this up. This may very well be an ideal piece.

bruno59

WKR
I have been wearing a core medium weight or core heavyweight and a kryptek bora vest the last couple of years here in montana has worked pretty good

Towards the end of the season I grabbed a SitkaArrowhead (division of Sitka-their tactical line) Alpha Direct mid-layer hoody. This was purchased based on the very good experience I had with Sitka's Active hoody (also Polartec Alpha Direct)- which sans sleeves is only good for earlier season stuff.

I really like my Sitka Core Heavyweight hoody, but this jacket simply outperforms it on the move.

It's highly breathable, which means if it's windy- I have to add a windshirt over it.

It's the best active layer I've owned to date and I've owned a lot of them :)
Is this the mid later jacket you are referring to?

I’ve been wearing the peloton 200 and been pretty happy with it but i get to be a sweaty mess. So if it’s going to be a hard hike i just go with the base layer and when i get to the stopping point i put on my mid layer and puffy and let my base freeze solid over a tree branch

Sitka Kelvin Active. This is exactly the scenario this jacket was intended for. I sweat a ton even when ita super cold (well bow zero) if I'm moving. The active is the only mid layer I've ever found that can keep up with the moisture in those situations.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I have been using a Patagonia Nano puff vest the past few years. Its an orange color so its handy during rifle seasons.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is this the mid later jacket you are referring to?

yup- that's it

I've written Sitka about the Active Hoody- great piece for early season, but the lack of full sleeves isn't going to cut it mid/late season

they've got the right fabrics and fabric weight down pat, the hood is perfect- just add full sleeves- done

j33

WKR
I do a super light black Diamond wind layer for 2nd layer above my Peloton 97, been wanting to try a synthetic vest or jacket instead of those two as I struggle with the same as you.

Peloton 240 never worked with me, too hot. I have a strong fleece 210 that works much better for active hunts. Sitka Traverse was also way too hot, strong-fleece doesn’t block wind as good as the 240, not as warm, more durable and that kangaroo pocket is wicked.

I’d try an active insulation or a strongfleece 210 or 260.

Ac338

WKR
First Lite or smartwool 150 LS with a Sitka core heavyweight hoody. I’ve bounced around but this is my go to for the majority of my season.

jd1006

WKR
It’s the 240 vest for me from Kuiu. Adds wind resistance and some warmth, but we very little weight cost. I alternate between light weight merino, peloton 97, and the SG Helio hoody underneath that depending upon what I’m doing and temps.

If layering specifically under another out layer, I have a RAB Flash Alpha Direct full zip that becomes second layer, but it is too delicate to wear on its own as an outerlayer.

Black diamond makes a vest called the First Light Vest that I have been wearing into the colder weather when active…awesome layer.

In very cold weather situations, the Patagonia Nano Light Hoody is added.

I just got the Grumman Vest and the Kelvin Active Hoody and both has some promising ways to be used, but I’ll get some field time with them before I say anything.