Your perfect elk rifle

I don’t care how much effort it takes to carry my gun around. In addition to boots it’s truly THE most important piece of gear an elk hunter has. The words “moment of truth” come to mind. When I finally found a bull and finally got in position to have an opportunity I want the best tool for the job. One I’m comfortable with of course BUT actually more importantly one that is going to anchor a bull in its tracks. So mu rule of thumb is forget about sweat and hard work. Shoot the heaviest hitting gun you can handle. That varies by user. There are several ways to tame recoil so if you need to do that DO IT! I won’t even bother mentioning calibers, bullet weighs etc. Elk aren’t deer! Elk don’t live in deer country! Whatever you get top it with a darn good scope and then go to the range and do your homework.

There are several ways to tame recoil so if you need to do that DO IT!
This is what a LOT of guys need to hear but won't listen.

"You won't feel or think about the recoil when you shoot at an animal!"

You may not actively think about it, but a flinch isn't something you actively choose to do - otherwise you could just turn it off. Therefore, when you take the shot with that unbraked/unsupressed 300 megamag, guess what's gonna happen on the shot?

You know what's not manly - wounding game because you're too much of a stubborn jackass to admit you can't handle the recoil your rifle produces. If you can't shoot more than 5 shots off the bench without getting jumpy - its too much rifle... period. Either brake/suppress it, or move down and adjust your tactics accordingly.

dk88

FNG
Most of my elk hunting is still hunting thick county with my tikka t3 superlite with a nikon monarch scope, its super light combo for carrying all day. If I am hunting spot and stalk with a chance for longer shots I pack my savage custom shop 338 win with a 24" med heavy barrel and burris veracity scope with custom turrets.

Both guns like accubonds.

Hansoman

FNG
Put the Spartan adapter on it and then buy their Spartan to arca adapter so you can use your tripod too
How would putting a 4 in arca plate on the bottom of that Clymr. Think that would work? Waiting on my Clymr and have been thinking about doing that

Cole97

FNG
300prc 25” bartlein sporter barrel. Lone peak action. Diamond trigger. McMillan stock. Swaro X5I. Little heavy for my liking but heck of a shooter with 212’s. Plan to reload bergers when more in stock.
Just built 280AI on Defiance Titanium action. Diamond trigger. AG stock. Proof barrel with Z3 3x10 scope and weighing 7 lbs loaded I’m hoping it’ll be the ticket with 143 hammers after break in. Good luck.

SwiftShot

WKR
Remington 700 action Titanium. Proof Research carbon barrel 20 inch 300 PRC in a MDT HNTR 26 stock. Put a Nomand TI Dead Air Silencer on it.

I'am a recurve bow hunter mostly . I do own a couple good rifles including a 1874 Sharps Pedersoli in 45-70 . However my favorite for me is my Browning bolt action medallion in 270WSM . I have on it a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 that I bought brand new in the box @ a yard sale for 45 bucks .