Your first deer rifle?

my family didnt deer hunt, so didnt get my first deer rifle until i was 19. My parents got it for me for Christmas and gave it to me early as i was going to my buddy from college house down east for two weeks to deer hunt on their farm. it was a Howa 30-06 package gun. Ironically i didnt kill a deer with it that year but killed 3 with my shotgun doing man drives with them. Just had sat in the safe for a few years and this summer i pulled it out and gave it a full make over. cerakoted the barrel and action, put a trigger in it. put a nice scope on it and a carbon fiber stock. looking forward to taking it out again this year.

The gun I killed my first two deer with was my grandpa’s (Remington 700?) 243. After that my parents got me my first deer rifle, a 1943 Mosin Nagant for $99 from Cabelas. It even came with the bayonet. Somehow that thing is an absolute tack driver and I still take it hunting somewhat frequently, although I have since acquired a few more rifles that see action much more consistently.

kkp005

WKR
I used the gun my dad always had in his truck.
It’s was an H&R single shot 223 with a $40 Walmart Bushell… we shot 55gr pmc fmj’s and I can’t remember a single deer, hog or coyote every taking another step after being shot with it

Shot my first couple deer in my childhood with a 243 with a chopped stock for shorter LOP. Didn't to much hunting through college, but got back in heavily after my grandpa passed away. My Dad gave me a new in box 80's german import weatherby clone in 7mm Rem Mag which became my first hunting rifle about 8 years ago. Grandpa liked magnums 300WM, 7mmRM, and 264WM are all in his safe, but he hunted Alaska some and chased Elk in New Mexico every year back in the 70's-late 90's.

One day in the somewhat near future I hope to book a Cow elk hunt, but for now, the 7mm Mag is my main deer rifle.

OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Well I’d rather overkill then under kill. What’s the brand on the 7RM?
Shot my first couple deer in my childhood with a 243 with a chopped stock for shorter LOP. Didn't to much hunting through college, but got back in heavily after my grandpa passed away. My Dad gave me a new in box 80's german import weatherby clone in 7mm Rem Mag which became my first hunting rifle about 8 years ago. Grandpa liked magnums 300WM, 7mmRM, and 264WM are all in his safe, but he hunted Alaska some and chased Elk in New Mexico every year back in the 70's-late 90's.

One day in the somewhat near future I hope to book a Cow elk hunt, but for now, the 7mm Mag is my main deer rifle.

ianpadron

WKR
My folks got me a Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06 when I headed West after college as a graduation gift. Never killed anything with it, as I went down the smaller, short action cartridge rabbit hole pretty quickly once the backcountry bug bit me.

It's now sitting in my Brother in laws shop waiting for it's time to shine since I loaned it to him as he didn't have a rifle. Good reminder that I need to get him on a bear here shortly

Savage 99A in .250-3000 my grandpa bought me in a pawn shop. Killed my first blacktail with it at age 9 in '94. Didn't kill another deer with it until 2020. To me, this will always be the quintessential hunting rifle and cartridge.

99A.jpeg

Astute observers may notice something funny on the muzzle. In 2018, I had it rebarreled by McGowan. It's now 18 inches and threaded 1/2-28. My next kill with it will be suppressed.

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
Well I’d rather overkill then under kill. What’s the brand on the 7RM?
I was thinking about this the other day when someone asked the question about using an M1 carbine for deer hunting, and if it was “enough gun” to use.
I find it ironic that we talk about being under or over powered with a firearm yet we will hunt with a 45 pound bow….

OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking about this the other day when someone asked the question about using an M1 carbine for deer hunting, and if it was “enough gun” to use.
I find it ironic that we talk about being under or over powered with a firearm yet we will hunt with a 45 pound bow….
I had friend who’s dads go to deer rifle is a M1 carbine. I do think there is a time and place for most cartridges.

I’m not a bow hunter. Personal reasons im not going to get into.