Your favorite hunting knife?

wesfromky

WKR
Just picked it up over the summer, so not field tested yet, but I really like the feel and blade shape of the Esee AGK.

Mosby

WKR
Most of my deer were cleaned with a Cold Steel Master hunter carbon V. Most of my elk were cleaned with an old Cutco serrated edge knife. Back in the day I bought 2 Cutco for $25. Now they want over $100 for 1 but the 2 I have is plenty. Ugly cheap knife but they work.

I don't like the replaceable blade knives. I still use them but I prefer a regular steel knife. I always have more than 1 knife anymore in my pack. I hate dull knives so I bring more than one on day hunts. The Cutco goes on every elk hunt and this year I will take a Benchmade Steep Country and/or maybe a Knives of Alaska Jaeger depending. The Jaeger is slowing becoming a favorite for everything. Very versitile knife.

TaperPin

WKR
The Gerber Ultralight is what I use for the backcountry - even elk hunting - heck, it never comes out of my hunting pack. I’ll also bring a Forschner 5” boning knife - same knife commonly used by butchers.
In my 20s there was a butcher shop that opened a separate building just for game processing and I’d skin for them part time - a Buck caping knife goes down the legs like a zipper and the Buck Skinner makes quick work of skinning. In between each animal all I’d do to keep them shaving sharp was half a dozen very light strokes on a small diamond stick - the butchers all used ceramic sticks.

I‘ve used the same combination since the 1990s and never felt there were better knives for the purpose at any price.

Attachments

• EF6642A4-3140-4F96-9AD1-CE51AC8E1603.jpeg
    EF6642A4-3140-4F96-9AD1-CE51AC8E1603.jpeg
    582.7 KB · Views: 113

49ereric

WKR
Squirrel hunting a pocket knife with flat grind. I skin ‘em before they cool.
for years a western brand fixed blade with 440C is what I had for deer then switched to a buck 110 with 425M steel.
the List goes on an on…

I must be the only one.

Randy Newberg DTS by Gerber. (But I do love my Havalon).

Really like the auxiliary blade for separation of joints.

ColeyG

WKR
Another vote for the Victorinox paring knife. Best $7 a guy will ever spend on hunting gear. Small, light, durable, easy to sharpen, etc. etc. Perfection in my opinion.

rcrfc

FNG
I use my Tyto 95% of the time. But I sure enjoy when I use my Bench Made Hidden Canyon.

This guy kills!

I use the same set up in my kill kit and have a folder in my pocket. My Hidden canyon is S90v for the edge retention.
Pocket folder is a Benchmade mini Adamas folder with cruzwear, or Freek with m4.

Its understandable people have attachments to a particular knife they’ve used season after season for decades, but at some point their steel technology becomes obsolete. Newer Knife steels and replaceable blade knives are really a game changer in after the kill duties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
If I'm wanting to be a weight weenie...... this kit:
View attachment 596000

Funny. My brother took a Victorinox paring knife and reshaped the blade and showed it on another forum. Several knife makers (menefee and others) made knives based on that pattern and called them “16 Bore” bird and trout knives.

We still have some of the original Vic versions but no fancy ones.

grfox92

WKR
I'm currently using a Havalon and have done a bull elk and antelope with it this year and really love it.

That being said, if I was forced to only have 1 knife forever for hunting it would be a Mora with a Smiths drag through sharpener. Dirt cheap, holds an edge for damn near a whole elk and gets back just as sharp with a few drags through the sharpener. Then WHEN I lose it I'm not out a $250 benchmade.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
Funny. My brother took a Victorinox paring knife and reshaped the blade and showed it on another forum. Several knife makers (menefee and others) made knives based on that pattern and called them “16 Bore” bird and trout knives.

We still have some of the original Vic versions but no fancy ones.
I actually got the little Vicky after a member here suggested it. If you can accept its limitations ie; you need to know how to maintain an edge, it punches way, way beyond its weight!
Last time I had this out in the field (I actually mislaid it in the house for a couple of years) it completely gutted, skinned & quartered a cow & calf elk. Yes, I'm hitting it on a little ceramic stick every 5 minutes, but it got the job done quickly & very efficiently!

Reactions: ODB

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a Cabelas Alaska guide Buck knives that has just been a damn good knife. It holds its edge very well, sharpens nicely and just fits the hand really well. I know I could go down the knife rabbit hole and never be seen again but this knife really keeps me from feeling like I need to jump in. I also carry a changeable blade knife but I rarely use it. Not a fan of snapping a blade trying to find where the hell it went. I also think there’s a bunch of those evil little blades left all over the mountains by careless hunters. Nope not a fan at all.