Your Elk Hunting Rifle

JK47

Lil-Rokslider
That's a sweet set up
Thanks. It’s very effective in thicker timber and brush. Using the long eye relief scope(or peep), I keep both eyes open, so it’s easier to get on target. Light and small so it’s easier to carry in the thick stuff.

It’s not a long range shooter for me. My comfortable distance with this rifle is only 300 yards or so. Any past that I pick up the 28 Nosler or 300RUM.

All I did was set my length of pull and work up a very accurate load. It certainly ain’t a fancy gun…..Not like some of the guns posted….there are some nice setups out there!

But I look at my firearms like tools. They each have a purpose. This one and my Marlin 30-30 are my brush busters.

Proof Research MTR in 7 PRC, 24" barrel shooting 155 grain Hammer Hunters at 3,140 fps. Right now it has a Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44 on it, which actually hasn't been half bad, but I plan on getting a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 eventually. So far I haven't drawn an elk tag, but when I do this is my go to.
The only other thing I would change is having a 20 or 22" barrel so I could shoot suppressed and shave a couple of inches off, but I'm still waiting on my suppressor so that's not a huge deal for right now .

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpeg
    IMG_1030.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 56
Thanks. It’s very effective in thicker timber and brush. Using the long eye relief scope(or peep), I keep both eyes open, so it’s easier to get on target. Light and small so it’s easier to carry in the thick stuff.

It’s not a long range shooter for me. My comfortable distance with this rifle is only 300 yards or so. Any past that I pick up the 28 Nosler or 300RUM.

All I did was set my length of pull and work up a very accurate load. It certainly ain’t a fancy gun…..Not like some of the guns posted….there are some nice setups out there!

But I look at my firearms like tools. They each have a purpose. This one and my Marlin 30-30 are my brush busters.
Nice. I agree, I look at firearms like tools. And I love the 30-30 , that was my first deer rifle. Killed many whitetail with that gun. Great short range brush gun.

JK47

Lil-Rokslider
Nice. I agree, I look at firearms like tools. And I love the 30-30 , that was my first deer rifle. Killed many whitetail with that gun. Great short range brush gun.
Without a doubt, it’s a hammer.

When shooting deer with it at 100 yards or so, I could always hear the audible THUMP of the bullet making contact….and usually they drop in their tracks.

RevJim

FNG
Wby Mark V ULtraLwt 338/06 Ackley Improved, Hammer 175 Leupold 2.5x8
Backup Kimber 8400 Classic 300 WSN Hammer 154 HHT Sightron Big Sky 3 x12
Well, gave the 300 WSM to my SIL, bought another Wby 338/06 barrel to ream out to the 338 RPM. After being set back for the Ackley ream, it didn't leave enough shank to set back more. I will shoot either the 175 HH or the factory 185 TTSX, whichever shoots the best. Got my Kimber 84L Classic .270 back from the SIL ( I'm just using it to make some memories with it. ) It really likes the 110 TTSX, anything 130, and shoots very well with 150gr anything. When I first got this rifle, I had it sent to "300 Below" for cryo treatment/ It certainly kept this skinny barrel from walking rounds when hot! Love it!

Last edited:
My elk hunting rifle is a custom 300 Remington Ultra Mag with a 26" carbon wrapped MullerWorks barrel, throwing 225 grain Hornady bullets at 3,075 fps with 1/4 MOA accuracy, topped with a Nightforce NX8 riflescope.

JK47

Lil-Rokslider
My elk hunting rifle is a custom 300 Remington Ultra Mag with a 26" carbon wrapped MullerWorks barrel, throwing 225 grain Hornady bullets at 3,075 fps with 1/4 MOA accuracy, topped with a Nightforce NX8 riflescope.
Wow! That’s impressive velocity for such a chunk of metal!!! What kind of barrel life are you getting?

My 300RUM is only at 3,001 average with a 200 grain Accubond over a charge of Retumbo. SD of 7 fps. No slouch, but your load sounds like a sledge hammer.

Wow! That’s impressive velocity for such a chunk of metal!!! What kind of barrel life are you getting?

My 300RUM is only at 3,001 average with a 200 grain Accubond over a charge of Retumbo. SD of 7 fps. No slouch, but your load sounds like a sledge hammer.
I've got around 600 rounds down the pipe and she is doing just fine so far. I am using Retumbo as well, with SD in the single digits. My load does not have signs of pressure, but my SD & ES both got worse as I bumped the charge up so I stayed right where I'm currently at. My first load was using 210 grain Berger's and I was pushing them at 3,100 fps. They got impossible to find anywhere so I switched to the Hornady 225 and have had great results on game and on the range.

JK47

Lil-Rokslider
I've got around 600 rounds down the pipe and she is doing just fine so far. I am using Retumbo as well, with SD in the single digits. My load does not have signs of pressure, but my SD & ES both got worse as I bumped the charge up so I stayed right where I'm currently at. My first load was using 210 grain Berger's and I was pushing them at 3,100 fps. They got impossible to find anywhere so I switched to the Hornady 225 and have had great results on game and on the range.
Nice.

Same here. As I pushed it a little faster accuracy and velocity fell off. So I stayed with that and fiddled with OAL. I like it, the gun likes it, not sure if an animal will like it. Haven’t tried it out as I don’t do many rifle hunts that require the MAG.

Tex68w

WKR
My buddy had Altus build him a 300 PRC on a Terminus Kratos for this year, it turned out great! I am not much for the paint on the optic but it works if that's your thing. We sighted it in and tried out a few different factory loads ultimately landing on Hornady 212 ELD-X as the best overall performer. The ELD-X was the only sub 1/2 moa amongst the group.

QjdynaU.jpg

I slapped together a 308/6.5PRC (both barrel/cal options) on a Zermatt Bighorn TL3. I am planning to run it as a 308 for this season. I have yet to get it out to see what it likes best, I am hoping it lands on the 168's or 178's.

27Ouqh1.jpg

AJkjJZO.jpg

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
Never posted on this before as I didn't have an elk rifle, per se. Have only archery hunted elk. Trying CO 1st rifle this year and bought a Bergara Wilderness Ridge in 7mm RM.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk