Your Elk Hunting Rifle

That's a sweet set up
Thanks. It’s very effective in thicker timber and brush. Using the long eye relief scope(or peep), I keep both eyes open, so it’s easier to get on target. Light and small so it’s easier to carry in the thick stuff.

It’s not a long range shooter for me. My comfortable distance with this rifle is only 300 yards or so. Any past that I pick up the 28 Nosler or 300RUM.

All I did was set my length of pull and work up a very accurate load. It certainly ain’t a fancy gun…..Not like some of the guns posted….there are some nice setups out there!

But I look at my firearms like tools. They each have a purpose. This one and my Marlin 30-30 are my brush busters.

Proof Research MTR in 7 PRC, 24" barrel shooting 155 grain Hammer Hunters at 3,140 fps. Right now it has a Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44 on it, which actually hasn't been half bad, but I plan on getting a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 eventually. So far I haven't drawn an elk tag, but when I do this is my go to.
The only other thing I would change is having a 20 or 22" barrel so I could shoot suppressed and shave a couple of inches off, but I'm still waiting on my suppressor so that's not a huge deal for right now .

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpeg
    IMG_1030.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 22
Thanks. It’s very effective in thicker timber and brush. Using the long eye relief scope(or peep), I keep both eyes open, so it’s easier to get on target. Light and small so it’s easier to carry in the thick stuff.

It’s not a long range shooter for me. My comfortable distance with this rifle is only 300 yards or so. Any past that I pick up the 28 Nosler or 300RUM.

All I did was set my length of pull and work up a very accurate load. It certainly ain’t a fancy gun…..Not like some of the guns posted….there are some nice setups out there!

But I look at my firearms like tools. They each have a purpose. This one and my Marlin 30-30 are my brush busters.
Nice. I agree, I look at firearms like tools. And I love the 30-30 , that was my first deer rifle. Killed many whitetail with that gun. Great short range brush gun.

Nice. I agree, I look at firearms like tools. And I love the 30-30 , that was my first deer rifle. Killed many whitetail with that gun. Great short range brush gun.
Without a doubt, it’s a hammer.

When shooting deer with it at 100 yards or so, I could always hear the audible THUMP of the bullet making contact….and usually they drop in their tracks.

Wby Mark V ULtraLwt 338/06 Ackley Improved, Hammer 175 Leupold 2.5x8
Backup Kimber 8400 Classic 300 WSN Hammer 154 HHT Sightron Big Sky 3 x12
Well, gave the 300 WSM to my SIL, bought another Wby 338/06 barrel to ream out to the 338 RPM. After being set back for the Ackley ream, it didn't leave enough shank to set back more. I will shoot either the 175 HH or the factory 185 TTSX, whichever shoots the best. Got my Kimber 84L Classic .270 back from the SIL ( I'm just using it to make some memories with it. ) It really likes the 110 TTSX, anything 130, and shoots very well with 150gr anything. When I first got this rifle, I had it sent to "300 Below" for cryo treatment/ It certainly kept this skinny barrel from walking rounds when hot! Love it!

Last edited:
My elk hunting rifle is a custom 300 Remington Ultra Mag with a 26" carbon wrapped MullerWorks barrel, throwing 225 grain Hornady bullets at 3,075 fps with 1/4 MOA accuracy, topped with a Nightforce NX8 riflescope.

My elk hunting rifle is a custom 300 Remington Ultra Mag with a 26" carbon wrapped MullerWorks barrel, throwing 225 grain Hornady bullets at 3,075 fps with 1/4 MOA accuracy, topped with a Nightforce NX8 riflescope.
Wow! That’s impressive velocity for such a chunk of metal!!! What kind of barrel life are you getting?

My 300RUM is only at 3,001 average with a 200 grain Accubond over a charge of Retumbo. SD of 7 fps. No slouch, but your load sounds like a sledge hammer.

Wow! That’s impressive velocity for such a chunk of metal!!! What kind of barrel life are you getting?

My 300RUM is only at 3,001 average with a 200 grain Accubond over a charge of Retumbo. SD of 7 fps. No slouch, but your load sounds like a sledge hammer.
I've got around 600 rounds down the pipe and she is doing just fine so far. I am using Retumbo as well, with SD in the single digits. My load does not have signs of pressure, but my SD & ES both got worse as I bumped the charge up so I stayed right where I'm currently at. My first load was using 210 grain Berger's and I was pushing them at 3,100 fps. They got impossible to find anywhere so I switched to the Hornady 225 and have had great results on game and on the range.

I've got around 600 rounds down the pipe and she is doing just fine so far. I am using Retumbo as well, with SD in the single digits. My load does not have signs of pressure, but my SD & ES both got worse as I bumped the charge up so I stayed right where I'm currently at. My first load was using 210 grain Berger's and I was pushing them at 3,100 fps. They got impossible to find anywhere so I switched to the Hornady 225 and have had great results on game and on the range.
Nice.

Same here. As I pushed it a little faster accuracy and velocity fell off. So I stayed with that and fiddled with OAL. I like it, the gun likes it, not sure if an animal will like it. Haven’t tried it out as I don’t do many rifle hunts that require the MAG.

Back