You Ready?

204guy

WKR
I guess I'll take the lost park, thanks. I'm not very warm blooded and get cold fairly easily if not active. I agree not taking enough insulation with to be able to sit out an a windswept ridge and glass is foolish and detracts from your ability to hunt. Its all tradeoffs I guess. The packing bulk I can handle using an AMR. It's wearing a raincoat over it that things get a little tight. Especially in the neck area I wish Kifaru had used a little less bulky cordage and cord locks there.

Good luck to everyone else.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Flojoe

FNG
I was in DCUA yesterday and creeks weren't high but low ground held water. I saw about a dozen rams but all were too far for accurate judging.

This is good to hear!! Leave tomorrow to start the road trip up that way. Stoked to get up in the mountains!

Got my pack all packed up. Just need to put the food in her. Don't know where 20 days worth of food is gunna fit. The Exo 5500 might be at her limits.

20 Days with an Exo 5500!? You are a better packer than I!

A buddy of mine was in the DCUA yesterday and spotted a legal ram with his spotter from the road!

good luck!

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Bout to pull the plug at the office. Unless things get real sideways I wont look at a computer/device until Aug 22nd.
Good Luck fellas.
AKMAN

Flojoe

FNG
image.jpg

Well here she is all loaded up and stuffed to brim with 18 days of food. 58lbs

Going to the range tonight to double check the gun.....again.....then I should be about ready, I think/ hope.

OP
S

Short on cache

Lil-Rokslider
So last night I was putting the base for my outdoorsmans micro pan head on my Vortex spotter. The dang 3/8 to 1/4 bushing broke!!! I didn't sleep at all last night and called Vortex this morning. He sent me to Sportsmans and called the manager ahead of me. He took one out of a new scope and gave it to me. Saved the day! Vortex truly has excellent customer service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
2990b02ecf4d8573f49e1656ef5d8138.jpg

My pops and I are all packed up but the guns and water. Sitting at 56 & 53 without the guns and water. Super happy with my gear upgrades and our ability to split up the shared items damn near to the pound. I'll blame the three extra pounds he's carrying on this being his first mtn hunt and he just has to have a few items that I imagine he'll wish he left at home.

But he knows better than me

Gonna throw in a bottle of whiskey to make my pack weight even with his.

Good luck everybody!!! Shoot straight and pick the best lines as you go! Stay safe!!

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

deadwolf

WKR
I love seeing everybody all packed up ready to go, and knowing how excited we will be to be out there in a couple days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well fellas, I am a little sad. Today is my birthday, which often provokes introspection and reminiscing on a life's past, and in doing so, I've been thinking about all the past hunts I've had, and the many wonderful memories I've made chasing sheep. But, I am sad in knowing that this year will be the first August in many years that I won't be hunting the elusive ram. In retrospect, it takes me back to my first ram, and all the wonderful memories I've spent in the sheep mountains since. Sheep hunting is not just a hobby, it's not just a job, and its not just a passion, it has become a way of life. I live to climb those mountains, to spend a little time living where the sheep live year after year. But this year, I will be living through you, all my fellow sheep hunters, and the adventures you have, and the stories you will tell.

So, my fellow sheep hunters, I wish you all a great adventure in your pursuits this August. If you are a first time sheep hunter, I wish you the greatest of luck in achieving your goals, and if you are a seasoned sheep hunter, I wish you all the best in finding that sheep of a lifetime. Until then, I can't wait till I get back in September from my job, and hear all the great stories you guys have experienced this season.

Until then, may your aim be steady, and your packs be full......

Josh

(a pic of my first ram, 10 years ago this season)

069_69_zpstdmc3p2i.jpg

Well fellas, I am a little sad. Today is my birthday, which often provokes introspection and reminiscing on a life's past, and in doing so, I've been thinking about all the past hunts I've had, and the many wonderful memories I've made chasing sheep. But, I am sad in knowing that this year will be the first August in many years that I won't be hunting the elusive ram. In retrospect, it takes me back to my first ram, and all the wonderful memories I've spent in the sheep mountains since. Sheep hunting is not just a hobby, it's not just a job, and its not just a passion, it has become a way of life. I live to climb those mountains, to spend a little time living where the sheep live year after year. But this year, I will be living through you, all my fellow sheep hunters, and the adventures you have, and the stories you will tell.

So, my fellow sheep hunters, I wish you all a great adventure in your pursuits this August. If you are a first time sheep hunter, I wish you the greatest of luck in achieving your goals, and if you are a seasoned sheep hunter, I wish you all the best in finding that sheep of a lifetime. Until then, I can't wait till I get back in September from my job, and hear all the great stories you guys have experienced this season.

Until then, may your aim be steady, and your packs be full......

Josh

(a pic of my first ram, 10 years ago this season)

069_69_zpstdmc3p2i.jpg

Well said 907, but there's always goats. Don't know what your situation is but Kodiak goat season goes into March and you shouldn't let all that hard work in training go for not. Plus goat meat, IMO, is a tad taster than sheep.

kaboku68

WKR
My son got a new job and is transitioning from one opportunity to another one. Looks like I am going solo again.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
My son got a new job and is transitioning from one opportunity to another one. Looks like I am going solo again.

Sorry to hear that Thomas but hopefully the new job works out well for him. Regardless, I wish you the best.

My Dad is actually going with us this year. It's pretty much the only time he's hunted more than three consecutive days since he guided for Bud. We're headed deep into some new country I haven't seen before. I haven't slept all that well in a week or more, flat cannot wait. I head in solo on Monday, they'll join me later.

Good luck to all you guys getting ready to head out and safe travels. Please post pics and stories when you return! I don't fly out until the 3rd of Sept but got most of my pack ready other than some food to throw in.

Maverick940

Banned
I read Josh Ellis's post. Truly sad. Probably should break away from that APHA apron string.

Anyway ....

We're still grounded. Still waiting on weather. Today it was the wind that kept us from accessing the canyon we want. Tomorrow looks like IFR. Oh well, just another day at the office, so to speak.

Hell of a lot of rams out there, this year. Probably the most I've seen since before the Mount Spurr eruption.

Going to be a really good year, if the weather happens to ever allow flying.

deadwolf

WKR
Maverick, leaving to make the drive to our fly out right now, do you have a link to the post you're talking about? Pouring rain here in anchorage, looks like the same everywhere

Maverick940

Banned
Maverick, leaving to make the drive to our fly out right now. Pouring rain here in anchorage, looks like the same everywhere

Yeah, I have a 500 foot ceiling and 5 miles, here. And, the wind is supposed to come up to 35 knots, this afternoon.

Not getting into the canyon that I want, that's for sure. It's a one-way on a ridge with a very limited approach that requires a 40 degree right turn.

But, things do look a lot better for tomorrow.

I hear from FAA that the east side of the Alaska Range is going to be bad for another two days, though.

Good luck to all who are heading out or trying to head out! I am back and finally recovered from packing out an opening evening DIY archery stone ram. Already wishing I had a Dall hunt lined up in '17. Might draw in BC......the odds are about 1 in 8.