You might be a backpack hunting obsessed Rokslider if....

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I am home for a few days working, while Luke chases sheep in the Brooks Range before we both take off again next week for Moose, caribou, and grizz. Our house is a disaster, with gear strewn from one end to the other and every chore that can wait being procrastinated until the season slows down a little at the end of September. Although things are a mess around here, I am realizing that it doesn't bother me much as it would under other circumstances because it's for such a great cause :) That being said, I have noticed a couple things that are pretty funny.

You might be a backpack hunting obsessed Rokslider if....

The items on top of the dryer that came out of pockets during laundry include a lighter, two havalon blade wrappers, several flavors of GUs, a shell casing and one of those oxygen absorbers from MH meals

Your fridge is pretty much empty, and your pantry is lacking multiple staple items but you have cases of Mountain House, Instant Oatmeal, clif and Lara bars and energy gels packed and at the ready

You used more minutes on your Sat Phone this month than on your cell phone (that would be Luke)

You can list all the items in your pack, with weights and prices off the top of your head

Your car is parked outside, because the garage is full of tents, backpacks, and other miscellaneous gear that needed to dry out before the next trip

You spent your "vacation" time this year sleeping in a floorless shelter, wore the same clothes for 11 days without a shower, packed heavy loads up and down hills in the rain ....and you loved it!

You would rather read hunting stories and live hunts on Rokslide.com than watch tv, read anything else or sleep :)

Curious if we are the only one with these issues? Can anybody think of any more?

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
You stare at a topo map for countless hours sitting on the floor, your wife tells you that you need to do something else minutes later she catches you on the computer looking at another map of the same area

swat8888

WKR
Your entire christmas and birthday wish lists are comprised solely of the new gear you want for the next hunt. Mine are usually hyperlinked so they don't screw up and buy the wrong model that is 2oz heavier.

You receive and send more mail than small companies with all the stuff you buy and sell trying to upgrade....this is 100 times more applicable since I got into bow hunting.

You wish all those home depot, iTunes, and other gift certificates you got were for Kuiu, Kifaru, etc.

You have topo maps with your honey holes under lock and key but leave your truck unlocked at night.

swat8888

WKR
You spend weeks searching the Internet for the cheapest commercial flight but don't hesitate to drop several grand on a 3 hour bush flight.

your dining room table is topo map central and the other half is covered with fuel cans, stove, pot, mtn house, havalon, camera, gps, tripod, spotter. kitchen table has 2 rifles waiting to be cleaned. the formal living room that doesn't get used much is also home to stretched out sleeping bags, wool clothes air drying all over the house on anything that will hold a hanger. 3 boot dryers.

today was the first time I've mowed my lawn in over a month
hadnt weed whacked since june
you own at least 4 tents
you have a separate closet than is to remain free of unnatural fragrance where all your hunting/backpacking gear is stored

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
You receive and send more mail than small companies with all the stuff you buy and sell trying to upgrade....

Haha, soooo true! I am on first name basis with the guys at the Wasilla post office. When I walk in they say, "look Becca's here....better get the handtruck!"

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
You repack your pack every day trying to figure out how to cut a few more onces each time. The wife thinks I am nuts.

BuckSnort

WKR
You haven't subscribed to Cable or Satellite TV for 3 years because after work and rushing home to check hunting websites then looking at gear list's and Topo maps there just is not enough time in the day to waste any minutes watching TV...

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
You repack your pack every day trying to figure out how to cut a few more onces each time. The wife thinks I am nuts.

Do it annually for about a decade, she'll develop a certain roll of the eyes, and slight grin that speaks volumes

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
You complete a 2+ hour workout feeling far less pain because you realize you have saved 8oz's out of your pack by buying a new sleeping pad! ;)

Last edited:
You haven't subscribed to Cable or Satellite TV for 3 years because after work and rushing home to check hunting websites then looking at gear list's and Topo maps there just is not enough time in the day to waste any minutes watching TV...
so true! I'm only at the 2 year mark...

Google earth takes an hour to install on a new pc vs the standard 5 minutes for normal people. Sure GE is up in 5 minutes but you also have to load the Best data layer overlay, topo overlay, GMU overlay, property owner overlay and upload waypoints from your last dozen scouting trips....

Really it's a sickness!

Shrek

WKR

I'm going on six years without a tv in the house. If I have time to sit and watch tv I have time to do something productive.

BuckSnort

WKR
Speaking of Google Earth... I am addicted to it... I have a virus on my computer that won't let me use it for some reason so I am stuck to use GE on my smartphone... But there's only so much one can do with the phone app.... Almost considering getting a new computer so I can use Google Earth.... Oh well...I guess there's worse things to be addicted to...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
You might be a RokSlider if you've spent a total of 9 days in your own bed at home since beginning of May....:D

Or only have 12 hour turn arounds between week long sheep hunts.