XLR Element For Hunting and Competition

We have some very valuable rights. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people attacking those rights constantly.
Not for much longer. This thing(war that's been going on since 2016) goes public in 2023 for and it will move pretty quick from there. ;) I called we will see suppressors in Canada one day probably a couple years ago now but a lot has to collapse and be replaced first. Of course I was mocked, being able to see the future is as much a curse as it is a gift...anyway, we will see if I'm right or not lol. My short barrel low hp rigs are future proofed and waiting for the day we can throw some tbac ultra5's on em. The night hunting for preds I haven't made a prediction on but my guess is we will follow suit there also and we will also finally get to carry and run some AR love too. Canada and USA will become a lot more similar than not when this all breaks loose and cleans up and becomes proper/humanity focused as it should always be. ;)

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, I made it in the article.
I am the one that pulled my barreled action in the middle of a hunter match due to a trigger issue. I was not at all concerned about POI shift because I tested it.
I own 4.0 elements and all my hunting and hunter comp guns are wrapped up in them.
ebc3750c4ab26dc7ecdad201b286656f.jpg
7da797ff1336e4f7c327946e980ae9d6.jpg
500a36b418a3e955e6af5d2f980257cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I hunt where it’s cold and haven’t had an issue using an aluminum chassis. And when it’s cold I wear gloves. I also don’t hand carry my rifle. Next week it’s a high of -14* F one day. I will be out with an Element and I doubt I think about how cold the actual chassis is once.

The only negative I have seen with XLR is their NV bridge for the Element/Atom. If planning to use a NV or thermal clip on I would get a different chassis. I made it work but it was a pain.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, I made it in the article.
I am the one that pulled my barreled action in the middle of a hunter match due to a trigger issue. I was not at all concerned about POI shift because I tested it.
I own 4.0 elements and all my hunting and hunter comp guns are wrapped up in them.
ebc3750c4ab26dc7ecdad201b286656f.jpg
7da797ff1336e4f7c327946e980ae9d6.jpg
500a36b418a3e955e6af5d2f980257cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Thems purdy

264 MHC

FNG
Bit of a dissenting opinion here but I was not a huge fan of my Element 3.0 for my Tikka. Just seemed to not soak up recoil as well as a traditional stock. Also the Carbon Smoke Composites buttstock was originally designed for AR 15’s where the barrel is inline with the stock and I felt the angles were off when on the bolt gun chassis being bellow center of the barrel. That said it was a beautiful piece of machining with excellent fit and finish, and I do use that Smoke Carbon Buttstock and love it on my AR 15s. For me personally I just like the feel of a traditional stock better.

For anyone using this chassis on a Tikka LA, I did come up with a solution for the heavy metal mag. I bought and modified a Magpul LA AICS mag to work that was 3 oz as opposed to the 3.56 metal mag being almost 8 oz.

E6C923A8-B3B9-4390-8441-C5CD88B9E775.jpeg

2B3A172B-5ADA-4F6F-BDA6-2FCB29AFBD5E.jpeg

A8D4A150-9D6B-4691-A79D-09C0595ED01D.jpeg

Did have to sand the top of the feed lips to get it to ride high enough in the mag well but it fed flawlessly once I got done with it.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Bit of a dissenting opinion here but I was not a huge fan of my Element 3.0 for my Tikka. Just seemed to not soak up recoil as well as a traditional stock. Also the Carbon Smoke Composites buttstock was originally designed for AR 15’s where the barrel is inline with the stock and I felt the angles were off when on the bolt gun chassis being bellow center of the barrel. That said it was a beautiful piece of machining with excellent fit and finish, and I do use that Smoke Carbon Buttstock and love it on my AR 15s. For me personally I just like the feel of a traditional stock better.

For anyone using this chassis on a Tikka LA, I did come up with a solution for the heavy metal mag. I bought and modified a Magpul LA AICS mag to work that was 3 oz as opposed to the 3.56 metal mag being almost 8 oz.

View attachment 488782

View attachment 488783

View attachment 488788

Did have to sand the top of the feed lips to get it to ride high enough in the mag well but it fed flawlessly once I got done with it.
I know others who have similar opinions of chassis vs. traditional stock. I like them, but I know they're not for everyone.

That's an awesome tip on the magazine. I may have seen you post that before. I will try that since I already have a couple of those magazines.

264 MHC

FNG
I did that one with a dremel then 80-400 grit progression with a sanding block to get it smooth and fit exactly right. I’d probably use an oscillating multi tool of I did it again because it would be easier to make a straight cut. Measure and mark carefully. Good thing is those mags are fairly cheap.

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone ran a 6.5PRC on a long action in an XLR and been able to feed properly from the magazines? I have a 25PRC I built on a Terminus Kratos and I want to try it in a chassis for my sons. So far I am being told it probably won’t feed correctly.

Thanks
Mark

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Has anyone ran a 6.5PRC on a long action in an XLR and been able to feed properly from the magazines? I have a 25PRC I built on a Terminus Kratos and I want to try it in a chassis for my sons. So far I am being told it probably won’t feed correctly.

Thanks
Mark
Not that is wont feed correctly... but its not going to feed as well as a short action would. I personally have a 6.5 PRC built on a long action and it feeds pretty reliably but I would much rather have it in the short action! It takes a lot of tuning on the feed lips when you have over 3/4" of room in a magazine but it can be done!

Just for clarification this isn't an XLR issue, anyone running a SA cartridge out of a LA aics magazine has ran into it!

ID_Matt

WKR
Not that is wont feed correctly... but its not going to feed as well as a short action would. I personally have a 6.5 PRC built on a long action and it feeds pretty reliably but I would much rather have it in the short action! It takes a lot of tuning on the feed lips when you have over 3/4" of room in a magazine but it can be done!

Just for clarification this isn't an XLR issue, anyone running a SA cartridge out of a LA aics magazine has ran into it!
My 7 SAUM in an XLR is a long action as well. Definitely a lot of work to get the AICS mags to feed consistently. Wish someone would come out with a spacer kit for a long action similar to what you can get for a 6 dasher (HRD or MDT mags). I have a friend with a 3D printer that is going to try making one.

Reactions: XLR

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully Hawkins will make a LA mag for the XLR and it will work as well as the LA Hunter mag does now to feed the PRC with the spacer.

Hondo1

FNG
Looking at ordering an element with a folder, question for those of you with experience, I’m 6’2” with average arm length, either the folder do I need to be looking at the 12.5lop or the 13.5?
Thanks in advance

ID_Matt

WKR
Looking at ordering an element with a folder, question for those of you with experience, I’m 6’2” with average arm length, either the folder do I need to be looking at the 12.5lop or the 13.5?
Thanks in advance
12.5 with folder. The folding adapter will add 1.375 to LOP. I'm the same size as you and have 12.5 with folder, as well as 13.5 with no folder. You can always add butt stock spacers if you need additional length.