XLR Element For Hunting and Competition

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a good idea.
Just wont work for anyone that uses the built in arca rail for tripod shooting as thats directly where you would attach to your tripod.
I have a RRS arca/picatinny clamp on my tripod. I lock it in using the short pic rail you see on the end of the fore end. Same rail I attach my bipod to. I’ve found that carrying the rifle is best right in front of the magwell. It was uncomfortable have a rail right there under hand. I’ve found no difference in my ability to make shots at distance with my tripod locked further out on the fore end. All rails flex a little, so I lock in with the target a few mils high in the scope, and the crosshairs settle in nicely.

I really like the chassis for shooting off a tripod. That and folded Up in a pack is handy for carrying.
yes folding options add to that versatility, forgot to mention, add a little weight though so for the ounce counters you can get the same effect for the pack in/out by just loctite the castle nut on the buffer tube and then the butt stock spins on and off to the same spot, call it the poor mans take down or the ultralight take down option ;), I have a gen 1 xlr folder at 4.0 oz, new ones are 4.5 and mdt ones about 8.0 oz but despite the weight penalty I found adjustment is a thing, you can have some slop and or pitch that may drive an obsessive nuts like it did me...so I'm out on the folders, and the loctite castle nut take down was my solution, much happier and saved 1/4 to 1/2 lb to boot

like that tip with the heat gun and that product for cold carry on aluminum complaint, you won't forget your gloves as easily with an aluminum chassis though lol, agree the hand around mag well carry is where I find the one hand carry point also so it wouldn't take much of that stuff to warm that area, it's making me think maybe some application of 'doctor muffs fuzzy stuff' that the bowhunters slap all over their aluminum risers for silencing etc. might be a possible option also, I'm gonna go dig through my archery gear now and see about modding mine up around the mag well, so for those that don't know what 'fuzzy stuff' is, it is a product that is basically camo mole skin and most of us have mole skin in our packs, highly flexible very sticky soft pad, but bow hunters put it on risers, site housing ring, wherever their arrows may contact the riser while loading so there's no 'tink' sounds to scare game when nocking arrows, any archery shop should have a similar product maybe just not named 'fuzzy stuff' like the product I used awhile back on all my bow setups, it adheres excellent to aluminum and easy to replace when worn, easy to apply as well

Last edited:
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
yes folding options add to that versatility, forgot to mention, add a little weight though so for the ounce counters you can get the same effect for the pack in/out by just loctite the castle nut on the buffer tube and then the butt stock spins on and off to the same spot, call it the poor mans take down or the ultralight take down option ;), I have a gen 1 xlr folder at 4.0 oz, new ones are 4.5 and mdt ones about 8.0 oz but despite the weight penalty I found adjustment is a thing, you can have some slop and or pitch that may drive an obsessive nuts like it did me...so I'm out on the folders, and the loctite castle nut take down was my solution, much happier and saved 1/4 to 1/2 lb to boot

like that tip with the heat gun and that product for cold carry on aluminum complaint, you won't forget your gloves as easily with an aluminum chassis though lol, agree the hand around mag well carry is where I find the one hand carry point also so it wouldn't take much of that stuff to warm that area, it's making me think maybe some application of 'doctor muffs fuzzy stuff' that the bowhunters slap all over their aluminum risers for silencing etc. might be a possible option also, I'm gonna go dig through my archery gear now and see about modding mine up around the mag well, so for those that don't know what 'fuzzy stuff' is, it is a product that is basically camo mole skin and most of us have mole skin in our packs, highly flexible very sticky soft pad, but bow hunters put it on risers, site housing ring, wherever their arrows may contact the riser while loading so there's no 'tink' sounds to scare game when nocking arrows, any archery shop should have a similar product maybe just not named 'fuzzy stuff' like the product I used awhile back on all my bow setups, it adheres excellent to aluminum and easy to replace when worn, easy to apply as well
The XLR folders do add a little weight, but I have zero slop in mine after adjusting them properly. It's the best folder on the market in my limited experience.

The XLR folders do add a little weight, but I have zero slop in mine after adjusting them properly. It's the best folder on the market in my limited experience.
and straight as an arrow coming off the back end of the chassis? my gen 1 when adjusted to no slop pointed a little to the right..opposite of me ;) , although it wasn't short and shrivelled

agree if going folder the xlr is the one to choose, just beware to all that like anything there's little nuances and things most don't consider or talk about until they have one in hand and set it up themselves, I learned that I won't be buying another folder as there was a kiss solution available with a dab of loctite :)

and like so much gear I've bought over the decades, it sits idly in a box of despair with a lot of company

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I reached out to Talon grips, they haven't had any requests for mlok rails or anything so if you want to see these cut out specifically, shoot them an email at [email protected] I showed them the chassis and also said if they make mlok rails lets say 1.5" wide, it would be universal with minor trimming on a lot of chassis, and AR fore ends. the more emails they get the more of a chance we have of making a cool product.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
I reached out to Talon grips, they haven't had any requests for mlok rails or anything so if you want to see these cut out specifically, shoot them an email at [email protected] I showed them the chassis and also said if they make mlok rails lets say 1.5" wide, it would be universal with minor trimming on a lot of chassis, and AR fore ends. the more emails they get the more of a chance we have of making a cool product.
WE? You trying to steal my idea?
Just kidding. It would be cool if they made premade strips, but it’s not that big of a deal to cut it out myself. I buy the sheets and cut out grips for my handgun, using the old one as a pattern. It’s way cheaper.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a sniper and PRS competitor with my XLR chassis with the folder. I’m as picky as anyone about my stock adjustment and fit. I’ve had absolutely no issues with the folding mechanism. Even though it adds weight, I keep it on my hunting rifle since it keeps my suppressor below the top of my head when folded and strapped to my pack. I can immediately open the stock and make a shot, instead of trying to thread the stock back in.

I’m a hunter (in long range hunting forum), and if speed is the name of the game my rig is already built and in my hands, or once were actually past any boundaries and in huntable country with some chance of running into game it’s in the kifaru gun bearer, both of which will whoop dropping your pack and snapping your folder together. But until we get to that need, a take down rifle of any kind works great and don’t need the extra 1/4-1/2 lb in a folder. It’s a cool luxury you pay a weight penalty for and maybe works great for other things outside of hunting. And some of us are far fussier than others on lines and precision. I can look at your car and body panel gaps not right and a droopy corner will stand out to me instantly.

Add more fack around and you add more find out lol. That’s a folder imo.

Don’t get me wrong, love being able to shrink and stuff in packs, I ran a k95 for years, but a pure hunters needs may not be the same as a sniper or prs competitor’s needs. Just sayin...the minimalist ‘hunters’ among us will never go away.

Weighting of the perspectives you’re gonna run into on a chassis system for combined disciplines all here. Got a sniper/prs heavy lean and an all hunting heavy lean. It’s not an easy bridge to gap imo. There’s a lot of noise that can be eliminated for the hunting end of it, best of luck hitting the 50/50 on it.😉

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
I’m a hunter (in long range hunting forum), and if speed is the name of the game my rig is already built and in my hands, or once were actually past any boundaries and in huntable country with some chance of running into game it’s in the kifaru gun bearer, both of which will whoop dropping your pack and snapping your folder together. But until we get to that need, a take down rifle of any kind works great and don’t need the extra 1/4-1/2 lb in a folder. It’s a cool luxury you pay a weight penalty for and maybe works great for other things outside of hunting. And some of us are far fussier than others on lines and precision. I can look at your car and body panel gaps not right and a droopy corner will stand out to me instantly.

Add more fack around and you add more find out lol. That’s a folder imo.

Don’t get me wrong, love being able to shrink and stuff in packs, I ran a k95 for years, but a pure hunters needs may not be the same as a sniper or prs competitor’s needs. Just sayin...the minimalist ‘hunters’ among us will never go away.

Weighting of the perspectives you’re gonna run into on a chassis system for combined disciplines all here. Got a sniper/prs heavy lean and an all hunting heavy lean. It’s not an easy bridge to gap imo. There’s a lot of noise that can be eliminated for the hunting end of it, best of luck hitting the 50/50 on it.😉
My Chassis rifle ended up weighing a lot less than most people's traditional looking rifles. They really are quite ideal if you're going to be shooting up really high from a tripod. That's undeniably nice to have. Something like flat open ground with tall grass.

DEW0341

WKR
eb706bc9672ab03c0bb2f28d4c11f417.jpg

I hunt with this. 12.8 pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
Over the last few years, I have swapped out a few of my more traditional stocks with Element Chassis from XLR. I find that I really like the versatility and ergonomics, and I like to keep my rifles similar to each other to help with consistency. I also like the fact I can add or remove weights to go from competitions to backcountry hunting with the same chassis.

I'm working on an article that will talk about the pros and cons, so I wanted to start a thread for discussion and questions. Let me know your thoughts!

This is my Tikka 300 WSM in the Element 4.0 MG

View attachment 460245
Are you using the long action chassis and the 3.56 mag for your 300WSM? Or the Short action version. Thanks in advance

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
My son and dad both shot their bucks in Colorado with my Tikka 6.5-06 AI that sits in an Element 3.0 MG. The barrel is 18" to accommodate the suppressor. This year I loaded the 142 ABLR at 2950 fps.

Dylan shot his buck off a rock at 298 yards using the Javelin Pro Hunt bipod.

20221101_104312.jpg

IMG_20221101_202933_888.jpg

My dad shot his buck standing with my Vortex Radian tripod at 200 yards.

IMG_0323.jpg

Last edited:
My son and dad both shot their bucks in Colorado with my Tikka 6.5-06 AI that sits in an Element 3.0 MG. The barrel is 18" to accommodate the suppressor. This year I loaded the 142 ABLR at 2950 fps.

Dylan shot his buck off a rock at 298 yards using the Javelin Pro Hunt bipod.

View attachment 478037

View attachment 478038

My dad shot his buck standing with my Vortex Radian tripod at 200 yards.

View attachment 478039

My article will be dropping soon.

View attachment 485714
night hunting and suppressors...ugh, you Muricans have it made ;)
nice rigs