Wyoming wilderness as a non resident

wapitibob

WKR
You are perfectly legal to cross a wilderness with a weapon to get to your hunting destination on the other side.
If you happen to be in a wilderness and not with your guide, and a warden asks if you're hunting and you say "yes", you deserve a ticket. There's a reason he asked if you are "hunting". The same reason they will ask if you're hunting when they come into your camp or stop your vehicle on the road. They're just giving you more rope...

Jethro

WKR
In case this is relevant to anyone's WY plans, I went and double checked with 2 more warden sources on the rules of
the resident getting a guide license. The resident only needs to have a valid big game license for somewhere in WY. It
does NOT have to be for the same unit or same species as the non-residents they intend to guide.

Todai16

FNG
In case this is relevant to anyone's WY plans, I went and double checked with 2 more warden sources on the rules of
the resident getting a guide license. The resident only needs to have a valid big game license for somewhere in WY. It
does NOT have to be for the same unit or same species as the non-residents they intend to guide.

Thank you. Going hunting with a resident friend and also had a question about this.

WyoElk

WKR
Opinions don't really matter.
The state can decide because the state controls the hunting, and the Supreme Court has ruled they can control it as they see fit.

Could be an interesting defense......."I wasn't hunting, I was laying under this tree when an elk just happened to walk by so I shot him". No hunting involved.

Good luck. You may have the best situation, however if you are not a resident, or with a resident guide you may face trouble. It's pretty clear. Residents on wilderness, non-residents= ticket. Dont ask me, I'm not a warden but I wouldn't want to be in your situation if you get questioned....

rodney482

WKR
Not just a fine but also being considered an "illegal hunter" "poacher" and "db"

power54

FNG
You could also hunt the thousands and thousands of acres that aren't designated wilderness. Sure, you might have to stay away from the Cody area but there are plenty of other good units.