Wyoming Unit 7 non-res

Mz71

FNG
I have the opportunity to hunt unit 7 September 2017 with a resident who knows the area well. I only have one preference point do i have any chance of getting a tag for unit 7? Wyoming's site is confusing the hell out of me with the non-resident rules/odds. Thanks in advance.

jofes

WKR
Even if you cannot get a bull tag based on draw odds, you can get a cow tag fairly easy. This was my first year putting in for a cow tag in 7 and I drew. The truth is though you may be able to get a tag out of the random draw no matter how few points you have. there are others on here who understand the actual odds and % better, Im sure they will chime in.

ssliger

WKR
Your only chance at a any elk tag would be in the random draw and it's about 2.5%. You could draw a cow tag, either the type 4 as s second choice is about 50%. Or put in for a reduced price cow tag, about 88%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mz71

FNG
Thanks guys. Are you aware if there are usually any leftover tags for unit 7? If so are you able to archery hunt with those tags?

OP
M

Mz71

FNG
I will be going for September 2017. Just wondering if there are typically leftover tags and if you are able to archery hunt with the leftover tags.

WyoElk

WKR
Typically there are cow tags left but they go quick. If you buy an archery endorsement after acquiring your tag then you may hunt archery during the designated archery season. After that it converts to a rifle tag.

LostArra

WKR
Why worry about leftover tags until the draw?
You could apply for regular full price draw with cow as second choice or no second choice and also apply for the reduced price cow/calf since it's a separate drawing.
Or apply for both. You could end up with two tags.

The prices stay the same for non-residents for leftover tags except for maybe an application fee.

avluey

FNG
Well that's a tough area my friend - this year's results for unit 7 had 49% of applicants with 8 points draw and 49% of applicants with 7 points draw that paid the additional 'special' fee. In the random draw 4% of special drew (18 of 400 first choice) and 2.5% of regular drew (27 of 1060). As mentioned, much better chance for cow/calf, but your odds of drawing an any elk tag in unit 7 are no better than 5% for another 6 years and that if you pay the significantly higher 'special draw' fee. There are other units in Wyoming that your chances of drawing with 1 or 2 points are pretty solid / virtually guaranteed.

OP
M

Mz71

FNG
Thanks, I think they guy I'll be going with wants to stick with unit 7... Sounds like my best bet will be to put in for first pick special any elk and second pick as antlerless. If no luck, maybe I will be able to snag a leftover tag before the sell out.

LostArra

WKR
Thanks, I think they guy I'll be going with wants to stick with unit 7... Sounds like my best bet will be to put in for first pick special any elk and second pick as antlerless. If no luck, maybe I will be able to snag a leftover tag before the sell out.

Not be contrary but if you are going to enter the special draw I would not put any second choice unless you want to pay the special draw $ for a cow tag.

OP
M

Mz71

FNG
Wouldn't it be $1057 if you drew special any elk tag first pick, if not and drew second pick be $288 for cow tag?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't area 7 draw for residents also how does he know he'll have a tag?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mntnguide

WKR
Isn't area 7 draw for residents also how does he know he'll have a tag?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yes it is draw only for residents as well...And to clarify for the OP just in case...there will not be any leftover bull tags in unit 7 ever...just possibility of cows...the bull tags will always be spoken for in the draws

hunt1up

WKR
Wouldn't it be $1057 if you drew special any elk tag first pick, if not and drew second pick be $288 for cow tag?

There's type 4 cow tags, which are "full price" and are in the same draw as the type 1 bull tags. So if you put a type 4 as second choice you'll pay $1057 for a cow.

You'd be better off just putting in for the Type 1 tag with no second choice, and then enter the reduced cow draw for a type 6 tag. As mentioned, the two draws are separate. Additionally, the reduced price draw won't burn your preference points.

OP
M

Mz71

FNG
OK, I think I understand now. I wasn't aware that If I put in for the special price any elk tag that my secondary choice would have to be at the special price as well.

hunt1up

WKR
OK, I think I understand now. I wasn't aware that If I put in for the special price any elk tag that my secondary choice would have to be at the special price as well.

Not just the special, but also the regular draw. So if you go in the regular draw the cow tag will still be $571.

OP
M

Mz71

FNG
Not just the special, but also the regular draw. So if you go in the regular draw the cow tag will still be $571.

Yeah, I'd be OK paying $577 for a cow tag if I drew one, but not $1057. Since the odds are slim to none with regular or special type 1, I will either put in for regular type 1 primary and a type 4 for secondary. Or just special type 1, then put in for the cow/calf tag. Odds look to be decent in the random draw for the type 4 and the cow/calf draw.

hunt1up

WKR
Yeah, I'd be OK paying $577 for a cow tag if I drew one, but not $1057. Since the odds are slim to none with regular or special type 1, I will either put in for regular type 1 primary and a type 4 for secondary. Or just special type 1, then put in for the cow/calf tag. Odds look to be decent in the random draw for the type 4 and the cow/calf draw.

Just apply for the Type 1 as a "win the lottery" chance and apply for the type 6 tag for $288.