Wyoming Unit 7 non-res

avluey

FNG
Yes - put in for two different tags as the last two posters have said. Your friend is going to have a VERY small chance of getting a unit 7 tag as well, unless he's a non-resident who has been saving points for 8+ years. If he's a resident or non-res without the points I would not hitch my wagon to his draw plans. If he's a resident he probably puts in for a tough draw hoping to win the lotto, and when he doesn't just gets his general tag OTC. I'd ask him where he plans to hunt when he doesn't draw and then put in for only that unit as a first choice, then also apply for that unit for cow/calf. There is a FAR greater chance you can both hunt the same area that way. Of course if he's a resident and you are particularly sadistic you can keep putting in for Unit 7 until you get your 9 points then be guaranteed your tag in the trophy unit he keeps failing to draw for the next decade....you know, if his resident luck for special draw areas is as good as mine.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes - put in for two different tags as the last two posters have said. Your friend is going to have a VERY small chance of getting a unit 7 tag as well, unless he's a non-resident who has been saving points for 8+ years. If he's a resident or non-res without the points I would not hitch my wagon to his draw plans. If he's a resident he probably puts in for a tough draw hoping to win the lotto, and when he doesn't just gets his general tag OTC. I'd ask him where he plans to hunt when he doesn't draw and then put in for only that unit as a first choice, then also apply for that unit for cow/calf. There is a FAR greater chance you can both hunt the same area that way. Of course if he's a resident and you are particularly sadistic you can keep putting in for Unit 7 until you get your 9 points then be guaranteed your tag in the trophy unit he keeps failing to draw for the next decade....you know, if his resident luck for special draw areas is as good as mine.
Of course wyoming has insane point creep so he'll draw twice before you even get close enough to sniff a 7 tag.
Be thankful you don't have resident points creep is a bitch

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jofes

WKR
I got the type 6 cow tag this year no problems, its a good bet that if hes got his 8 points you will at least be able to have a cow tag in your pocket.

You will probably draw that tag two or three times before a resident will draw. Our odds suck. I wish we could get preference points so I have a chance to draw at least. If you get a tag make sure to bring your gps. The unit is primarily private land and unless you pay access you may not get on. There are some good bulls on public but they do run to the private like the wagon hound, vr, 44 ranches. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
A resident has a 25% chance of drawing a unit 7 type 1 tag every year. More like that resident will draw that tag 2 or 3 times before he builds enough points as a non resident draw it.

avluey

FNG
A resident has a 25% chance of drawing a unit 7 type 1 tag every year. More like that resident will draw that tag 2 or 3 times before he builds enough points as a non resident draw it.
Ah - didn't check the resident random draw results - 1031 drew out of 4257 first choice applicants...not bad at all.

We put in for 31 where random draw was 84 of 1716.

LostArra

WKR

Non-res would still have a good chance to get a cow tag and be out there hunting. I would rather spend the next 8 years chasing cows than sitting at home waiting for a bull tag and griping about point creep.

jofes

WKR
non-res would still have a good chance to get a cow tag and be out there hunting. I would rather spend the next 8 years chasing cows than sitting at home waiting for a bull tag and griping about point creep.

amen!