Wyoming type 1 vs general

Kws82590

FNG
this is my first time purchasing points in western states and while looking at draw odds for some of the units in Wyoming i noticed that there is a type 1 license and a general license for the same unit but the type 1 requires 15 or more points to have a chance to draw but in that same unit you can draw a general license for 3 points why would someone wanna wait till they accumulated 15 points for a type 1 when they could just hunt the general season? Other then the start date for the season what is the difference or advantage?

If I understand it correctly each unit in WY has 25 percent of the tags go into the random draw the rest go to the high points people. I'm guessing the people that drew with three were the lucky ones in the random draw.

mntnguide

WKR
You're most likely looking at one of the migration hunt units... and yes, it is vastly different come that time of year the amount of elk you will see and quality of bulls you can wait to find

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kws82590

FNG
You're most likely looking at one of the migration hunt units... and yes, it is vastly different come that time of year the amount of elk you will see and quality of bulls you can wait to find

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
I guess i will have todo some more research into it

WYELK83

FNG
As stated above, a type 1 is likely hunting later in the season and targeting migration elk. A general tag is likely hunting in September/October.

go_deep

WKR
Going out in a limb and going to say your looking at the generic general license map and the hunt area that is 15 points to draw does not allow general license holder to hunt there.
If I just put in NR Southern general region, on the map 124 has the appearance that you can hunt it, which you can not, you have to have the LQ license for 124 to elk hunt there.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
There are a handful of areas that have a general season and a LQ season also. Sometimes the LQ is a couple weeks before the gen opens or sometimes it’s a later season LQ. The benefit is fewer hunters and less pressure. Some of the LQ are also during the rut while the gen is after.