Wyoming Thorofare Elk Questions

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Have you though about a mid summer pack trip somewhere else to get some experience? No need to drop 8K to get experience
I hadn't thought about that but that's a great idea to get some experience with horses in the backcountry with a lower cost and also more time to learn the horse stuff.

On a somewhat related note, is anyone aware of any meat packers in the area and/or a place I could put llamas up overnight? Shoulder is causing me to miss the archery hunt but I have a chance at the rifle hunt, so doing some brainstorming on ways to pull off a hunt this year.

LA Hunter

FNG
To put Llamas up for the night? You can 'put them up' almost anywhere you lay your head at night.

Do you mean renting them? Llama rental places closest to the thorofare would be Idaho Falls-ID, Cody-WY, and Dubois-WY.

Somewhat unrelated to this thread but I was wondering what the veteran throfare hunters recommend as far as rifles? My options are 300 Win Mag with 4.5 x14 scope & 7mm Rem Mag with 6 x24 scope.

Somewhat unrelated to this thread but I was wondering what the veteran throfare hunters recommend as far as rifles? My options are 300 Win Mag with 4.5 x14 scope & 7mm Rem Mag with 6 x24 scope.
I'm not an expert at anything but both of these would be more than adequate. Pick the one that you shoot the best. Your bullet choice is probably more important

I was more thinking about the scope. The 6x24 is pretty big so didn’t know bout them packing it in. Thanks for the reply!

DanMan

FNG
Definitely needs to fit in the rifle scabbard.
That's a question for your outfitter. He will know which scabbards they use and what will fit in them.

wyosteve

WKR
Might not be a bad idea to take your own scabbard to be sure the rifle/scope fits in it. Outfitter's scabbards are usually not 'one size fits all'.

I didn’t read all of the comments here but….

You don’t need an outfit. You just need Horses. You already have a good start. You just need the ability to get further back in. Call Chad from Yellowstone Horses and tell him you’d like to lease two horses. On the way in you can ride one and pack one. On the way out you can hike and get everything out in one trip. Their horses cater to tourists all summer long and in 12 years of leasing I have never had a single problem with any of their horses. Since you live there, you might make an early trip and pack some feed in to where you want to camp.

The only scabbard you need. They make a nice bow scabbard too.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

elkliver

WKR
Yes, Either of those rile options are perfectly fine. Elk will still be dead

elkliver

WKR
I was more thinking about the scope. The 6x24 is pretty big so didn’t know bout them packing it in. Thanks for the reply!
Good points mentioned above, if you want to use a rifle with a larger scope, you may need to provide your own scabbard. Part of it would depend on how you will be hunting. If its just a mater of packing it into a base camp, your regular rifle case may work but would not be practical if you are riding out everyday and need to put it in scabbard. Call the Outfitter and talk it over

MtnW

WKR
Lots of good advice. My main rifles I like to use on horseback hunts have 25” barrels and longer length of pull and 42MM scopes. I decided early on to have a Elmer Kieth style fully enclosed leather full length zippered scabbard made. Glad to have had it many times busting brush to have that added protection. Not one of the outfitters I have hunted with had a scabbard that would fit these two rifles. Early on most of my elk hunts were horseback .

Lots of good advice. My main rifles I like to use on horseback hunts have 25” barrels and longer length of pull and 42MM scopes. I decided early on to have a Elmer Kieth style fully enclosed leather full length zippered scabbard made. Glad to have had it many times busting brush to have that added protection. Not one of the outfitters I have hunted with had a scabbard that would fit these two rifles. Early on most of my elk hunts were horseback .
Thanks!

mntnguide

WKR
They are not going to pack your rifle case 30 miles. They are gonna put your rifle in the same scabbard you will use all hunt. Most likely Brandon has a bunch of bigger Outfitter supply type scabbards that accomodate a bigger scope. You are not the first hunter to bring one. 1st rifle, should be plenty of elk and getting closer shouldnt be a huge issue. you'd be fine with either rifle. But if you are worried about your bigger scope, you could buy that Outfitter supply Protector version, its on sale on their website. I leave my gun in it most the year as a padded case anyway

cole96

FNG
I paid $8500 for my 2024 1st rifle season hunt. Sept19 thru 28th.
That’s not a much as I thought it would be. The other outfitter I’ve spoke to about booking, which is most likely 2028 or so, said price would be about 12-13,000 by then he thinks for his hunt.

mntnguide

WKR
That’s not a much as I thought it would be. The other outfitter I’ve spoke to about booking, which is most likely 2028 or so, said price would be about 12-13,000 by then he thinks for his hunt.
If you havent called Triangle X Ranch, you should. They are right next to Yellowstone in terms of area, and are a great outfit. I spent 5 years there, and enjoyed the hell out of it. Best camp i ever worked in. Top notch hunting, food and stock. And usually they can fit people in earlier than some of the booked out outfits, cause they only book on word of mouth for the most part. Worth a call if you are looking to go sooner than later.

eoperator

WKR
If you havent called Triangle X Ranch, you should. They are right next to Yellowstone in terms of area, and are a great outfit. I spent 5 years there, and enjoyed the hell out of it. Best camp i ever worked in. Top notch hunting, food and stock. And usually they can fit people in earlier than some of the booked out outfits, cause they only book on word of mouth for the most part. Worth a call if you are looking to go sooner than later.
I am booked with tri x, last I spoke with them they were booked 5yrs out.

mntnguide

WKR
I am booked with tri x, last I spoke with them they were booked 5yrs out.
last year most their booked clients didnt draw, and they had weeks open and pulled camp early. Always worth a call to anyone who is wanting to put their name on a list for earlier than 5 years. Good luck with your hunt when it happens!