Wyoming Random Draw Is No More?

manitou1

WKR
They pretty much are. Even though (like many other western states) most hunting is done on federal public land. Almost all of which is paid for by nonresidents. Just like the huge chunk of WGF budget funded by nonresidents . Just like almost all the WY tourism $$$ come from nonresidents.

But, hey, (even though they pay for most everything and we’re all fellow Americans) - screw ‘em! 👍
Guess what? Those of us that live here actually pay the taxes, eat at restaurants, buy our land and homes and spend almost all our $$$ here. Your tag fee pales in comparison. Not even a drop in the bucket.
Property taxes have tripled in three years for us.

WKR

WKR
I fell into the preference and bonus point buying frenzy 5-6 years back and now at this point in life I can't wait to just burn them, make some memories and never get back in.

Now that I finally live in a state that has good opportunities and multiple species that are drawable, im done with chasing points in 5 different states. Especially with the way things are going for non resident hunters.

5-6 years ago I didn't have any other option of I wanted to hunt elk or antelope on a consistent basis. It was just deer and bear.

It's application season, and so I find myself digging deep in 2024 draw odds and regulations. I've been applying for Wyoming for a few years now hoping to be the lucky guy to draw a random tag for bighorn sheep, moose, or mountain goat, but it looks like the commission may be trying to do away with that entirely for sheep and moose.

Currently there has to be more than 4 available non resident tags in a unit for them to issue one of those tags through the random draw. For sheep, there is only one unit that meets that requirement, and only two units for moose. However, if you look at their draft regulation for 2024, there isn't a single unit with 4 or more available nonresident tags.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would effectively end all randomly issued tags for sheep and moose, and the only way to be drawn now is with max points. Is this really true?
It looks that way unless they make a change to bonus points. I dropped out of the WY sheep draw a couple years ago because it seemed impossible with only one potential tag and far from max points.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
IMG_0600.png

IMG_0603.png

IMG_0602.jpeg

Good luck to the top 20 Non residents from the other 12,137 of us 👍 Draft showed 3 NR tags for Unit 5 that take the one random tag away.

Need to check the odds on the SuperTag, probably should up my number of tickets for that for future years.

While mathematically a poor choice, the random non-resident tag(s), the dream of living some of my retirement years in Wyoming, and the fact that I could afford the preference point kept me in the game. Taking away the first and scratching at the third justification, I just don't know if I will keep at it.

I think Wyoming will have to switch to a bonus point system for the non-res big 3. My justification above made very little sense to very few people. I think without the random tag(s) it now make zero sense.

Similar as others. I gave it up two years ago when these changes went into effect and walked away with 15 moose points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro