Wyoming HB 00600: Dang those "grass-gobbling elk"

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got this from Gary Fralick, Wyo Bio. Did a search and couldnt find it. If it's up somewhere else, PM so I can pull this one so all the discussion stays in one place:

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2024/0...rs-for-grass-gobbling-elk-could-break-budget/

HB0060: Excess wildlife population damage amendments.

Another significant bill that we are following is HB0060: Excess wildlife population damage amendments. This bill brought by the Joint Agriculture, State and Public Lands & Water Resources Interim Committee is an amendment to current statutes relating to damage claims. It proposes to include Elk specific damage to forage and grass as eligible for reimbursement at a rate of 150% of fair market value.

Wyoming Wildlife Federation is against this bill as it is written and will be asking representatives to reduce the reimbursement rate to match fair market value to better align with existing statutes. HB0060 has been referred to the House Appropriations Committee and will be discussed today, Tuesday, February 20th in the evening. You can tune in here.

@realunlucky

sasquatch

WKR
We are becoming a society that does not value wildlife and the outdoors.

We just want to encroach on vital habitats as we ourselves keep overpopulating uncontrolled. We need to plow under habitats to put up more cement and lush green yards that we can keep watered for nice pictures. And anything that affects us negatively must be demolished and killed off.

Unchecked, one day we will live like ants and have to eat tofu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WCB

WKR
We are becoming a society that does not value wildlife and the outdoors.

We just want to encroach on vital habitats as we ourselves keep overpopulating uncontrolled. We need to plow under habitats to put up more cement and lush green yards that we can keep watered for nice pictures. And anything that affects us negatively must be demolished and killed off.

Unchecked, one day we will live like ants and have to eat tofu.

Since when was this not the case? Many ranchers and farmers would shoot on site any elk, deer, antelope etc they found on their property. Then they discovered they had a value so tresspass fees became a thing and leases and more outfitters/guides. Now a lot of these guys can double dip. Charge hunters, while not allowing enough to cut back the population on their ranch...deny access to people who would happily shoot a few elk, then charge the government (taxpayer) for having too many elk on their place.

I know a bunch of good ranchers that like the wildlife around, take care of their land, and let people hunt. They get too many elk or deer on their place. They let people come and kill some does or cows.

sasquatch

WKR
Since when was this not the case? Many ranchers and farmers would shoot on site any elk, deer, antelope etc they found on their property. Then they discovered they had a value so tresspass fees became a thing and leases and more outfitters/guides. Now a lot of these guys can double dip. Charge hunters, while not allowing enough to cut back the population on their ranch...deny access to people who would happily shoot a few elk, then charge the government (taxpayer) for having too many elk on their place.

I know a bunch of good ranchers that like the wildlife around, take care of their land, and let people hunt. They get too many elk or deer on their place. They let people come and kill some does or cows.

I never said it’s new. However, it’s is compounding and getting worse through MORE development which pushes MORE of the herd onto these properties.

Look through enough post of mine, I’ve said before that if a ranch is looking for Tax handouts they should have to provide something somehow to the tax payer. I am against the hypocrisy and double dipping. However I know it’s not so simple without intruding on landowner rights.

Mighty funny they deny any hunting and then want a hand out.

I wouldn't want to be in charge of the private land/wildlife conflict.

"I should get access or the ranch gets nothing"
"I should be able to get compensated for the states citizens animals competing with me trying to make a living"

ETC

Sometimes I think game and fish should just call out everyone's bitching. If a rancher complains about the wildlife the game and fish can go in there and wipe them out on that ranch.

Maybe the rancher will decide it's not a big deal to allow some wildlife on the ranch?

Maybe the rest of the citizens of that state will decide they need to compensate landowners more for their animals competing with the landowners animals?

Or maybe neither sides will agree, the game and fish eliminates the wildlife the rancher is complaining about, and then both the rancher and the citizens can bitch at game and fish.

dixon4420

FNG
the landowners want the best of both worlds. I cant tell you how many i have seen openly complain to the game and fish and govt, but at the same time refuse to let anyone on their land to hunt. I cant tell you how many landowners i have approached and its 100% No so far over the course of 10 years. If they do consider letting you on they want like 2000 just for access not guaranteeing you see or harvest an animal. obviously some will pay it, but the average person like me will no. i have offered 500 dollars for access under the expectation they only get the money if i harvest and clearly none of them thought that was beneficial for them

t_carlson

WKR
Just went and read the actual text. It is "not less than 150%" so that is the MINIMUM payment.

I'd like to know how they will determine which grass has been eaten by elk and which grass has been eaten by other critters. Do cattle and elk bite grass differently? And how do you determine the amount of grass they consume??? Shouldn't the state at least get a credit for the fertilizer wild animals drop on their property?

The best part might be where lease holders of public land get compensated...for their grazing leases that are usually pennies on the dollar in the first place.

So in essence, you could lease a piece of state land for $10,000, let the critters eat it down, then get a minimum payment of $15,000 from the state. You could get paid to do nothing. Sounds like an opportunity to me...

Hnthrdr

WKR
Good friend of mine is dealing with this issue first hand… they love and want the deer and elk on their property, but there is a neighbor that wants them wiped out… claimed 20k in damages to his corn… but then the plan was to shoot them at night with thermals and the. Drive all over the corn to recover them… guessing that would do some damage We are talking a herd of 10-20 animals in eastern Wyo

Jaquomo

WKR
I never said it’s new. However, it’s is compounding and getting worse through MORE development which pushes MORE of the herd onto these properties.

Look through enough post of mine, I’ve said before that if a ranch is looking for Tax handouts they should have to provide something somehow to the tax payer. I am against the hypocrisy and double dipping. However I know it’s not so simple without intruding on landowner rights.

Mighty funny they deny any hunting and then want a hand out.

One of the ranchers leading the charge on this initiative said the reason why he didn't want hunters coming in to thin the elk was because they would run the elk off his ranch. Ironic, since he purports to want elk off his ranch.

What he really means is that a bunch of hunters shooting cows might chase off some bulls he can sell for $15K.

Just a side note -- early in the spring I have a number of cow elk that show up on my place to calve. They have minimal impact to my hay. However after July 4th they return as a herd and tend to bed as a lump and mash large bunches of hay too flat to pick up with a swather. 5 - 10 are not a big deal but 80 - 100 are devastating to a hay harvest. For a month I have to disperse them with fireworks so I have something to harvest. After I get my hay in and have rebaled many of the bales 2-3 times as they molest them all night long, they feed at will but by then they start to migrate towards the winter range and have to work like hell to find one. If I had to contend with a bunch of idiots during the fall my disposition would degrade accordingly.

I don't have pivots and depend on the ranch for my income so I fully understand the ranchers perspective.