Wyoming general season elk tags

Mojave

WKR
I want a quality hunt when I go. I messed with gohunt today and chose units with at least 50% public land and a 30% chance to kill a bull. I also reset my points to zero, so as not to mess up the metrics.

This is rifle, either general or draw

2-10% draw odds, so not impossible!

40 units in Wyoming with a rifle general draw

43 units in Wyoming with the special draw

28 units in Arizona

10 units in Montana special draw

56 units in Montana limited entry

15 units in New Mexico

Colorado has zero units fitting this bill

Utah has zero units in Special Elk Draw

Utah has 1 unit in OTC

Nevada has zero units for bull elk in these parameters

Oregon has 1 unit for Rocky Mountain Elk and no units for Roosevelt elk in these parameters

Washington has no units for Rocky Mountain Elk and

Alaska has 2 units for Roosevelts

The logic that only New Mexico and Idaho are good deals is often touted.

I'd do some research, maybe you'll have better lucky applying in some states that you thought were off limits for anyone who didn't have 5-10 points going into this.

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
I want a quality hunt when I go. I messed with gohunt today and chose units with at least 50% public land and a 30% chance to kill a bull. I also reset my points to zero, so as not to mess up the metrics.

This is rifle, either general or draw

2-10% draw odds, so not impossible!

2% odds is one tag every 50 years… not impossible but not far from it!

Mojave

WKR
2% odds is one tag every 50 years… not impossible but not far from it!
If you apply for all your elk options, all your deer options all your antelope options in all available states doesn't that increase your odds?

I thought there was a statistical advantage called a Monte Carlo model that allowed for this. The increase was tremendous.

Oddly enough looking at the breakdown of PP approximately 120k point holders out of a total 165k have 4 or less points. There are not that many in each point category above.

Now ask yourself how many tags are drawn with 5 or more points. It's not a ton.

tdhanses

WKR
Oddly enough looking at the breakdown of PP approximately 120k point holders out of a total 165k have 4 or less points. There are not that many in each point category above.
There are only 7250 elk tags.

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Sure those high point holders could nuke the system, but that would both take all of them out of the game in the future, and also require a MASSIVE shift in behavior across a random group of people. Highly unlikely.

cgasner1

WKR
Sure those high point holders could nuke the system, but that would both take all of them out of the game in the future, and also require a MASSIVE shift in behavior across a random group of people. Highly unlikely.

Some may average down with a kid or hunting partner and just say the hell with it I’m going hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Some may average down with a kid or hunting partner and just say the hell with it I’m going hunting

And i wouldn’t blame them for it! It’s what I’d do. But i think that behavior is already represented in the patterns we’re looking at over recent years.

cgasner1

WKR
I would agree but you never know when a guys kid is coming of age to hunt and it’s time to go

Zim

FNG
Our group is cashing in at 5.33 hoping that will be enough. I think with the special fee increase failing we will be safe.

I want to go bad this fall after having my 25 point Colorado hunt stolen last year due to a virus from hell. Never again. Flu shot booked for August 15th this time.

Last edited:

cstab

FNG
Our group is cashing in at 5.33 hoping that will be enough. I think with the special fee increase failing we will be safe.

I want to go bad this fall after having my 25 point Colorado hunt stolen last year due to a virus from hell. Never again. Flu shot booked for August 15th this time.

Dang brother, that really sucks about last year. I can’t imagine!

Zim

FNG
Dang brother, that really sucks about last year.

Ya well I guess that’s the risk we all take. The thing was I figured I’d be safe as it was a long 5 weeks scout/hunt so I’d have time in case of illness, unlike a five day rifle hunt. But no my flu struck on the worst day (1st) and held on forever. It was the worst flu of my life, worst than my 2020 Covid. Had to go to Urgent Care which I’d never done before. I lost three full weeks, including all the top wallow season 1st-16th.

thewoods

FNG
Have a fr

Points are irrelevant in the random. Good luck!
Yeah, I worded it incorrectly. was just stating how many points - which won't be enough. Hoping to pull one random. Points may be relevant in the next year or so if creep don't get me

Mojave

WKR
Mojave said:
General will take 6-8.

Sure! I'll bet you that if someone has 8 points they will get drawn for a general elk tag in WY in 2023.
Yes, I think it is nuts that it takes it.

Points versus paying for a guided hunt in BC. The BC thing is leaning heavily toward being a better deal.