Wyoming general season elk tags

jmh00043

FNG
I have 4 points in Wyoming (non-resident) which usually is enough to draw a general season tag. There are around 150,000 nonresidents that have points (1-15) and around 7,250 tags total are given out yearly. Roughly 55,000 people in front of me if I ran the numbers correctly. I wanted to get yalls opinion on the limited entry elk units. Is that more of a pipe dream now?

GoBig

FNG
By no means an expert on Wyoming, I have burned my points the last two years on LE deer and LE elk. I would think most LE elk units are a pipe dream, A unit that takes 7-8 now will be at 12-13 when you get to 7-8.

sharpbb14

FNG
likely a pipe dream, but coming from a resident who was just a non resident last year, I would encourage you to burn them ASAP. I'm not a huge Randy N. fan, but he made a good point that if a particular state legislature is talking about making a new rule, or change to the existing rule, then it is only a matter of time. The 90-10 rule will more than likely happen for elk, deer and pronghorn in the near future. That will decrease the LE tags available for NRs. if they maintain the tag quota, the general tags will probably increase when the LE tags decrease. All speculation, but that is what I got

Djacker

WKR
Burn those points and go hunt. You could always draw a random LE tag but I wouldn't bet on it. I've been chasing a LE unit for a few years. I'm always 1 point behind. Currently at 11, should have went general years ago.

I burned 5 last year on a GEN unit after looking at several units that were within reach. Glad I did! Now I need to get rid of my 6 or so antelope points.

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure 4 points will be 100% draw on general tag this year. I have noticed several people cashing in quite a few points on general tags.

I am not sure 4 points will be 100% draw on general tag this year. I have noticed several people cashing in quite a few points on general tags.
I agree. Talked a buddy into dragging his brother into a party app my buddy had 4 I told him to have a better shot just do the party app and get rid of the points

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Many many people buy points just as an addon with no intent of going anytime, let alone soon. The vast mintory are those that track point spread. If everyone applied who were sitting on the sideline in WY this year, the bottom of the floor would rise way above to the level of possibly even NV as a NR.

Apply, don't apply. Lots of fear spread, and who knows, those influencers probably are getting paid by WY just like in AZ to drum up some more business.

I think there are some LE hunts that take a few more points than a GEN that might be worth it as long as you're still hunting elk somewhere else.

I think there are some LE hunts that take a few more points than a GEN that might be worth it as long as you're still hunting elk somewhere else.
I’d agree with that, but that GEN tag is no slouch either . In saying that, a good draw tag up there must be like taking candy from a baby.

I’d agree with that, but that GEN tag is no slouch either . In saying that, a good draw tag up there must be like taking candy from a baby.

There are probably good and not good areas for the GEN. If you're a dude new to it, no connections, no intel, no scouting, a GEN might be pretty tough.

The LE tags are more of a sure thing, IMO.

In a lot of cases I'd take a GEN over an LE tag because the GEN is more of a sure thing. There's a number of LE tags (the winds come to mind) in units that have a lot of wilderness and are dependent on weather. Assuming you're a DIY nonresident, you're dependent on that weather to push the elk down. With a GEN tag you don't need the weather, just pop over to another GEN unit with high country and no wilderness and get into bulls no problem. That's not to mention wildfires.

GEN tags may require more flexibility but you can work around more problems since you have way more options.

There are probably good and not good areas for the GEN. If you're a dude new to it, no connections, no intel, no scouting, a GEN might be pretty tough.

The LE tags are more of a sure thing, IMO.
For sure! I we t in blind typical internet scouting, and as the post above mentioned, I was able to bounce around and finally got what i was looking for. This was archery, not sure how Gen rifle elk is, I’m sure it’s not as good.

I also feel the GEN tags are going to be 1-2 times in your lifetime the way things are going. Maybe if the switch to unit specific tags it may help, but we’re going to be at a solid 4 this year in the regular maybe a bit more.

Last edited:
4.1 is my guess. That .1 puts you in a whole other bracket than people with 4 even.

I think you should apply for a general license this year in the special draw and go hunt. The quality of hunting in general areas is good enough to outweigh waiting for anything else.

I would trade my 8 points for having hunted the general 2-3 times by now if I could go back in time.

Over the last several years, I have had 2-3 Colorado elk hunts every season and did not feel like I was missing out. Nor did I really have a limited unit in mind to commit to. I always assumed that when I got to five or so, I would have some options. But now, the tags that took 3 points require 7. The same units that didn't appeal to me at three points still don't appeal but they take twice the points. If you're not at the top, you're always a point behind.