Wyoming Elk - Where are you applying?

Wyoming Elk 2024 - Where are you applying

• Total voters

cnelk

WKR
Maybe should have added the RP Cow/calf drawing option since its a stand-alone L/E draw [unless some considered it a L/E option in your poll]

Lots of people apply for it too

fatlander

WKR
Updated 1.16.24...the biggest surprise to me is how many are going to apply in the West Special...evidently $2k isn't a deal breaker.
View attachment 658089

No surprise at all. The special tag is the cheapest part of elk hunting. Especially for guys that have just gotten into in the past 5 years that live back east. Acquiring gear, time off, and travel is a higher barrier to entry. Most guys back east hunt woods goats on single digit acreages, or pay stupid amounts of money to lease land that is higher pressured than a lot of public dirt out west. 700 more bucks to have hundreds of thousands of acres of wild land to explore isn’t stopping them. 700 bucks is less than a handful of trips to the grocery store anymore. It’s not going to get easier to get tags anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
LFC911

LFC911

WKR
Maybe should have added the RP Cow/calf drawing option since its a stand-alone L/E draw [unless some considered it a L/E option in your poll]

Lots of people apply for it too
The genesis of this poll was to see how the new zones and special general tag price affected where they folks applied in the draw.

Laramie

WKR
No surprise at all. The special tag is the cheapest part of elk hunting. Especially for guys that have just gotten into in the past 5 years that live back east. Acquiring gear, time off, and travel is a higher barrier to entry. Most guys back east hunt woods goats on single digit acreages, or pay stupid amounts of money to lease land that is higher pressured than a lot of public dirt out west. 700 more bucks to have hundreds of thousands of acres of wild land to explore isn’t stopping them. 700 bucks is less than a handful of trips to the grocery store anymore. It’s not going to get easier to get tags anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is more than 700...

cnelk

WKR
In theory, your poll could shed some light on this and offer a prediction. In reality, many will answer dishonestly trying to alter odds to benefit them. There is no way to predict the Wyoming draw.

^^^ Exactly. Or not answer at all

kpk

WKR
Updated 1.16.24...the biggest surprise to me is how many are going to apply in the West Special...evidently $2k isn't a deal breaker.

I don't see 2k being a deal breaker for those that want to put in for special. Everything else in life is skyrocketing so the price hike isn't surprising. The reality is that 2k doesn't go very towards anything anymore.

OP
LFC911

LFC911

WKR
Well i did it. Threw my money at a cow/calf again.

You can boil em all you want, but you can never get antlers tender.
you are probably way smarter and more successful for it, not to mention the taxidermy if you catch a good one lol

Interesting poll results...any statisticians on RS that can tell me if the responses are statistically significant? What is the confidence interval or do we need a bigger sample?
Not yet, but perhaps trending towards meaningful (if respondents are truthful). 79 responses (as of this post) in a state that gets 10,000+ applicants isn't quite statistically meaningful yet.

I hear corner crossing is pretty much a done deal so everyone should just throw on their flat bill, apply in 125 and steer clear of everywhere else, just not worth it with all the grizzlies.

Laramie

WKR
I hear corner crossing is pretty much a done deal so everyone should just throw on their flat bill, apply in 125 and steer clear of everywhere else, just not worth it with all the grizzlies.
I know a guy who did that last year. He had a heck of a time fighting all the other guys with the same idea. That ship has sailed.

KF1147

FNG
Hoping to draw my first Wyoming elk tag this year with 5 points in general south. Hope the point dump don’t hit too hard 🤷🏻‍♂️

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
I think everyone should boycott WY draw this year due to price increase! Besides one person…. I’ll be that person 😉

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
The funny part is going to be seeing all the guys putting in special thinking there will be improved odds, only to find out they could have drawn the same tag, with the same points in the regular. Too many guys with points, and too few tags for there to be any significant change in odds with the price increase.