Wyoming Elk Preparation

OP
M

maine

FNG
Be mobile, not sure you’re if you’re going archery or rifle, but I’d keep a mobile camp by the truck until I find elk.
This definitely seems the way to go. Will be doing archery and rifle but mobility seems crucial.

OP
M

maine

FNG
If you have never been there, I would definitely make the trip there. Finding trailheads, camp spots, confirming road conditions, knowing where and what is available in town, etc. That will take a day and will prevent you from wanting time during season.

As for the hunt, if you are new to backpacking, I would take your gear with you and give everything a trial run overnight. You can also find glassing spots, elk sign etc.

Walking the trails will tell you about foot traffic during the off-season. Or horse traffic.

Sometimes I've picked a great basin to hunt, only to go in and find several outfitter camps.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
These are great points thank you. Will definitely make a scouting trip or two to get a lay of the land so I don’t burn time during the season. And having many backup options if things don’t work out, too much pressure, can’t access certain spots, etc

OP
M

maine

FNG
60 miles south of Jackson is largely out of the grizzly core range. Its possible to see them that far south but it would be rare.

Dont sweat only being able to get 2-3 miles from your truck. That is more than plenty. Wouldn't waste your time or the bio's asking about areas, that country is all solid for elk. Dont worry about the private ranches. So much NF land that will hold elk all season long. Pick a basin that looks like it should hold elk and go hunt it. Lather, rinse, repeat until you find them. Good luck!
This is helpful and great to hear. I needed to hear this. Thank you!

wytx

WKR
Like 60 miles south seems to have a bit lower populations besides the bighorns for the western region.
Sorry, read as to being closer to Jackson area.
You should be fine. They may wander down that far but not core area for sure.

Get a game bird licenses too, some dusky and ruffed grouse over there.

Also if you find domestic sheep where you want to hunt, find another spot.

Marble

WKR
These are great points thank you. Will definitely make a scouting trip or two to get a lay of the land so I don’t burn time during the season. And having many backup options if things don’t work out, too much pressure, can’t access certain spots, etc
In the meantime, learn how to use a diaphragm call and bugle tube. Lots of sources on line. You don't have to sound like a world champion elk caller. You need to understand what the elk are saying and what you are saying back.

Learn how wind moves in the mountains. It isn't ab exact science.

Lastly, be humble. I think the average new elk hunter takes 5-7 years to kill their first animal.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

FlavaDave

FNG
I am going on my first elk hunt this year and drew a general tag in the western zone of Wyoming. I reviewed the harvest data and herd populations in the various areas, made a spreadsheet and map and narrowed it down to a handful of units I am considering, based on where the grizzly population is the lowest as I will most likely be going solo. I won’t say the units because I know that’s frowned upon but feel free to DM me. It will be south of Jackson/Dubois. I subscribed to outdoor class (didn’t find it super helpful) and ElkNut (helpful) and have been watching some videos on scouting, tactics, etc. I’ve also been exercising and rucking in the mountains to prepare physically. I’m just wondering what else I can do to prepare, which books/videos/content I should follow to make the most effective use of my time for the next two months. I’m having a hard time narrowing down the huge swaths of land to where I should hunt. I am in MT and can make a few scouting trips. Should I call the local biologists to get a sense of pressure in the area, which areas of private ranches they tend to move toward, burn areas, etc? I’ve archery hunted deer for a number of years and am looking forward to the new challenge. I’m really just only going for a legal bull, maybe even a cow. Sorry if this post gives FNG energy, just really excited for the hunt and want to make sure I’m on the right track, and shift gears if need be. Also, if anyone else is going solo and want to help each other out, feel free to message me.
I just drew a leftover cow/calf license in a western unit as well, south of Jackson... feel free to DM me as we might be in the same unit and perhaps we can work together if so.

Bptenn01

FNG
Once every 4-5 year tag, grizzly country, no access to wilderness...I would consider hiring a guide for WY. Don't know if that's an option but that is my .02...I've gotten several emails from outfitters in the West zone that are looking for hunters and discounting their fees.
I drew a NR tag close to Yellowstone, would you be willing to PM or email me the list of outfitters? First time hunting out west.

CBar

FNG
We've gotten grizzlies on game cameras clear down to Cokeville, so don't rule them out. Sure, not their "core area" but this is NW Wyoming. Be prudent, which it sounds like you are.
Our rut has been pushing later into the end of bow season with the temps the last 3 years so I'd agree with the "don't worry about being the next best elk caller" and stash the bugle. I've watched 10x more bulls gather their cows and run away from dudes calling out here than the other way around. I'd be cautious of cow calling in areas you don't have great visibility. My buddy called in a griz to 40 yards while hunting north of Pinedale last Fall, bowhunting solo. Never saw it til the head popped up. Terrifying.
The area you're describing does have some wilderness that will be off limits to you unless you:
1. Hire a guide
2. Make friends with a resident, who can get a free non-commercial guide license to take you in there for up to 72 hours.
But as noted above, there's more NF and state land in that zone than you could cover in a season.
Dressing out your first elk will be quite an adventure. Some P cord to help hold the opposite leg out of the way will be worth its weight if you're doing this thing solo.
Biggest piece of advice I can give is, it'll be hard. Just keep hunting. Good luck!

OP
M

maine

FNG
We've gotten grizzlies on game cameras clear down to Cokeville, so don't rule them out. Sure, not their "core area" but this is NW Wyoming. Be prudent, which it sounds like you are.
Our rut has been pushing later into the end of bow season with the temps the last 3 years so I'd agree with the "don't worry about being the next best elk caller" and stash the bugle. I've watched 10x more bulls gather their cows and run away from dudes calling out here than the other way around. I'd be cautious of cow calling in areas you don't have great visibility. My buddy called in a griz to 40 yards while hunting north of Pinedale last Fall, bowhunting solo. Never saw it til the head popped up. Terrifying.
The area you're describing does have some wilderness that will be off limits to you unless you:
1. Hire a guide
2. Make friends with a resident, who can get a free non-commercial guide license to take you in there for up to 72 hours.
But as noted above, there's more NF and state land in that zone than you could cover in a season.
Dressing out your first elk will be quite an adventure. Some P cord to help hold the opposite leg out of the way will be worth its weight if you're doing this thing solo.
Biggest piece of advice I can give is, it'll be hard. Just keep hunting. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. That is terrifying. What happened with the grizzly encounter did it just walk away? Did it realize your friend was a human? There does seem to be plenty of non wilderness areas where I want to hunt. Wish I knew someone local though to hunt with.

CBar

FNG
Thanks for the advice. That is terrifying. What happened with the grizzly encounter did it just walk away? Did it realize your friend was a human? There does seem to be plenty of non wilderness areas where I want to hunt. Wish I knew someone local though to hunt with.
My buddy gave a “WHOA BEAR” and the bear stopped, stood up to get a better look, went back to all four and turned. My buddy then backed out, packed up camp and moved to a totally new zone. He was pretty shook up. You’re fine to call, just do so in zones you can see all around you.

rw79

FNG
I’d recommend two things:
1. Mark Livesay’s e-scouting course called Treeline Academy.
2. Buy and read, “Training for the New Alpinism”.