Wyoming Elk Preparation

OP
M

maine

FNG
Be mobile, not sure you’re if you’re going archery or rifle, but I’d keep a mobile camp by the truck until I find elk.
This definitely seems the way to go. Will be doing archery and rifle but mobility seems crucial.

OP
M

maine

FNG
If you have never been there, I would definitely make the trip there. Finding trailheads, camp spots, confirming road conditions, knowing where and what is available in town, etc. That will take a day and will prevent you from wanting time during season.

As for the hunt, if you are new to backpacking, I would take your gear with you and give everything a trial run overnight. You can also find glassing spots, elk sign etc.

Walking the trails will tell you about foot traffic during the off-season. Or horse traffic.

Sometimes I've picked a great basin to hunt, only to go in and find several outfitter camps.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
These are great points thank you. Will definitely make a scouting trip or two to get a lay of the land so I don’t burn time during the season. And having many backup options if things don’t work out, too much pressure, can’t access certain spots, etc

OP
M

maine

FNG
60 miles south of Jackson is largely out of the grizzly core range. Its possible to see them that far south but it would be rare.

Dont sweat only being able to get 2-3 miles from your truck. That is more than plenty. Wouldn't waste your time or the bio's asking about areas, that country is all solid for elk. Dont worry about the private ranches. So much NF land that will hold elk all season long. Pick a basin that looks like it should hold elk and go hunt it. Lather, rinse, repeat until you find them. Good luck!
This is helpful and great to hear. I needed to hear this. Thank you!

wytx

WKR
Like 60 miles south seems to have a bit lower populations besides the bighorns for the western region.
Sorry, read as to being closer to Jackson area.
You should be fine. They may wander down that far but not core area for sure.

Get a game bird licenses too, some dusky and ruffed grouse over there.

Also if you find domestic sheep where you want to hunt, find another spot.

Marble

WKR
These are great points thank you. Will definitely make a scouting trip or two to get a lay of the land so I don’t burn time during the season. And having many backup options if things don’t work out, too much pressure, can’t access certain spots, etc
In the meantime, learn how to use a diaphragm call and bugle tube. Lots of sources on line. You don't have to sound like a world champion elk caller. You need to understand what the elk are saying and what you are saying back.

Learn how wind moves in the mountains. It isn't ab exact science.

Lastly, be humble. I think the average new elk hunter takes 5-7 years to kill their first animal.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk