Wyoming Elk Preference Point

CSperl

FNG
I'm 19 and want to start putting in for Wyoming elk preference points. As far as I understand, I only have to pay for the point for a couple of years until I want to actually apply for a tag. Is this right? Also, as far as I understand, I need a guide for wilderness areas. Does this all sound correct?

Yes, you only pay for the point until you apply for a license. Yes you need a licensed guide working for an outfitter in a wilderness area. But there is certainly plenty of good hunting outside of designated wilderness areas.

Smfigari

FNG
To break it down, you can beginning applying for tags in the draw next year. You won’t have enough points to be automatically allocated a tag, but could get lucky and draw one in the random section of the draw. If you are unsuccessful you will receive a refund and can then buy a preference point.

You will repeat this process until you are lucky enough to draw randomly or have enough points for the state to guarantee you a tag based on your position in the points pool.

Jaquomo

WKR
Buy them if you can afford it and chalk it up to an in investment in the hunt. If you get lucky in the random draw, great. Otherwise you're working foward a goal. A general hunt is better than many mid point units in other states, mostly.

LostArra

WKR
To break it down, you can beginning applying for tags in the draw next year. You won’t have enough points to be automatically allocated a tag, but could get lucky and draw one in the random section of the draw. If you are unsuccessful you will receive a refund and can then buy a preference point.

You will repeat this process until you are lucky enough to draw randomly or have enough points for the state to guarantee you a tag based on your position in the points pool
Without knowing your annual hunting budget and time available to hunt, I would follow up this advice with starting now, apply for a cow tag as a second choice (does not affect your points if you draw) or a reduced price cow/calf tag (also does not affect points) in the area you are interested in. Just get in the elk woods as soon as possible. You will learn so much about the area and actually hunting elk so when you do accumulate enough points or hit the random you will be much better prepared to kill that bull.

Sitting at home for 5-10 years waiting to draw a tag and finally hunt an elk has never been a good plan for me. Accumulating a bunch of points without actually hunting does not increase your chances of success but hunting an area for 5 years definitely does.

cataylor4

FNG
Good plan! You do need to keep buying them or they "expire." You can skip a year, but not two in a row so stay diligent and mark your calendar for the annual preference points purchase.

Also agreed on the cow/calf (type 6) tag - great way to learn the area. And great meat!

You need a guide or a resident guide, so if you know a Wyoming local who will take you out, that works, but they do have to fill out some paperwork with Wyoming.