Wyoming antelope advice

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
Ya as all of us can relate, the timing is the hardest part. Where are you finding data on the antelope numbers dropping ?
On the WGF website they had a few updates on winter conditions. I also follow Wyoming DOT on Facebook and have seen all the posts about herds of antelope getting hit by trucks. There was also a disease out break that killed a bunch. Quota numbers are on the website and they cut a bunch of tags in a lot of units

wytx

WKR
Winterkill is getting brutal this year in parts of the state.
Red Desert is one area.
You all need to wait and see about quotas before deciding, going to be more tag cuts I bet.
Huge storm today is already piling up feet of snow in areas already hard hit.
Numbers were down before winter and now will be much lower with winter kill.

manitou1

WKR
I would look for a rancher offering a traspaass fee.
I hunted a ranch in nm with 400 sq miles for 500 dollars and wy with half that for 300. It was alot better than waiting for them to cross the line or paying an outfitter
How many years ago was your $300 Wyoming hunt?

Laramie

WKR
A long time ago I would bet.
There are still some cheap trespass fees to be found. One old rancher I know still charges $100 and only let's one vehicle on at a time for antelope. I keep that location to myself.

bmrfish

WKR
Ya as all of us can relate, the timing is the hardest part. Where are you finding data on the antelope numbers dropping ?

Not an official number but we have been hunting the same ranch in northeast for the last 10 years and I would say antelope numbers have dropped at least 75% since when we started. We pretty much quit shooting them the last few years which is probably just as well since it’s gotten hard to draw a tag. Whitetail exploded but then crashed maybe 90% in the last 3 years. Our muleys were doing ok but we will see this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was driving around back roads of Gillette. I saw guys poaching them from the side of the road. Using the fence as a gun rest from the side of a roadway. There were herds of lope everywhere 2 years ago.

Laramie

WKR
I was driving around back roads of Gillette. I saw guys poaching them from the side of the road. Using the fence as a gun rest from the side of a roadway. There were herds of lope everywhere 2 years ago.
Poaching them?

Rich M

WKR
Poaching them?

Yeah - remembering this one. All about shooting from the roadway right of way (was a dirt rd but not a 2-track).

Thread blew up and was surprisingly 50/50 on the poaching vs that's how you hunt antelope sometime responses. About 50% were gonna call the law on the guy.

Was quite interesting.

Laramie

WKR
Yeah - remembering this one. All about shooting from the roadway right of way (was a dirt rd but not a 2-track).

Thread blew up and was surprisingly 50/50 on the poaching vs that's how you hunt antelope sometime responses. About 50% were gonna call the law on the guy.

Was quite interesting.
Ah, I do remember that one.

Wasn't exactly a dirt road. I normally wouldn't run a dirt road with a rental car. Wasn't exactly truck hunting either from inside the fence line. I have no idea why so many people go upset & argued with me. Clearly outside the property fence, and car parked on the side of the public road. Not my problem, I'm not the Antelope police coming in from 2000 miles away. In fact, I'd never call a guy out on that who is carrying a hunting rifle : ) Drove away minding my own business.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I believe the law is 50 feet from the centerline. If they were on the fence it was probably legal. Fence posts make a dang good rest.

Rich M

WKR
Wasn't exactly a dirt road. I normally wouldn't run a dirt road with a rental car. Wasn't exactly truck hunting either from inside the fence line. I have no idea why so many people go upset & argued with me. Clearly outside the property fence, and car parked on the side of the public road. Not my problem, I'm not the Antelope police coming in from 2000 miles away. In fact, I'd never call a guy out on that who is carrying a hunting rifle : ) Drove away minding my own business.

I kept it neutral - referenced the post as remembered - didn't call names or nothing.

Folks got upset cause you called a guy who was doing something that is commonly done, a poacher. Guy was out of the vehicle, crawled over to where he was, used a rest and shot an antelope. Not a big deal.

This is the internet - we all don't agree w stuff and that's okay.

Laramie

WKR
The fact is... if he had permission to hunt the property, he would have been 4-wheeling inside the fence line.
That is a pretty big assumption. The word poaching gets peoples attention and, in my opinion, should only be used when we are sure a hunter has illegally harvested an animal. It is possible to use a fence post as a rest to harvest an antelope legally... even if the driver is in a geo speck and wearing a flat brim. Obviously all the previous comments from the old thread didn't sway your opinion so not sure why I am trying.

I believe the law is 50 feet from the centerline. If they were on the fence it was probably legal. Fence posts make a dang good rest.

The law is out of the road right of way, that means past the fence along the side of the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
The attached is the most recent draft. It do not think it has been finalized.

Attachments

• CH-5-Draft-03-14-2023-3.pdf
    350.5 KB · Views: 6