Wyoming 2nd season Dates

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
I'm applying for -2 hunt and the dates are Oct 5th-31st. The -1 hunt starts Sept 25th.

If I skip the opening week Oct-5th and go the following week would that negatively effect my hunt or make it better?

jbelz

FNG
Probably won't matter because all of the easy-to-find/kill bucks will be dead on the 25th.

wytx

WKR
The easy to find young bucks ill get killed that opening week.
Hunting during the rut usually makes it easier to find the mature bucks, they are with the doe groups or harems.
Rut is usually during Oct.
If a wintering area , late can be very good.

OP
Hun10-freak

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
I really want my dad to have a good hunt, any advice is appreciated. We will be South of Casper is that considered a wintering area?

dkime

WKR
I'm applying for -2 hunt and the dates are Oct 5th-31st. The -1 hunt starts Sept 25th.

If I skip the opening week Oct-5th and go the following week would that negatively effect my hunt or make it better?

If you have the time and the patience to build enough points for -1 tag you would be well served.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Hun10-freak

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like the second season should have pretty good hunting in this particular unit. Last year the -1 hunt had a success rate of 88.10 and the -2 had an 86.10 success rate. (500 tags for each hunt)

manitou1

WKR
The easy to find young bucks ill get killed that opening week.
Hunting during the rut usually makes it easier to find the mature bucks, they are with the doe groups or harems.
Rut is usually during Oct.
If a wintering area , late can be very good.
The Wyoming pronghorn rut begins in late August and ends in late September.

baz77

WKR
I had a doe tag during a -2 hunt years ago and could have shot multiple bucks I would have been happy with if I had a buck tag nothing huge but lots of good represents goats..this was back before the big winter kill a couple of years ago ..that unit no longer has -2 hunt.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Aside from area specific stuff (because not all type 2 are the same), the biggest factor that can affect your hunt is weather, which you have little control over. Best to pick a time that works for you and go hunt.

Wyo_hntr

WKR

Depending on the unit it won't matter. There will still be plenty of decent bucks around

OP
Hun10-freak

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
These dates worked great for me because I'll be elk hunting in Oregon the last week of September.