WTH happened?

KHNC

WKR
Back in the 70's I got a shot at my Dr's office, and afterwards the Dr just stood there talking to my mom and I for a bit. Next thing I know, I'm dropping like a rock. Woke up on the floor with them over me. The Dr said "happens all the time", and that's why he stayed with us and actually caught me as I was going down.

My dad told me about the "shot lines" in the Air Force back in the 50's, where it was like a gauntlet. Everybody walking down the line and getting hit with needles on both sides all the way down the line. He said lots of guys were dropping like flies.
Same in the 80's when i walked the same line. Guys in front and back dropping. Fortunately , I wasnt one of the unlucky ones.

WCB

WKR
Had a flu shot once before our first child was born. Our doctor recommended it, 🙄. The next day I basically got the flu and was super sick for a week. It was the first and last time I got the flu shot. Not saying what's right or wrong but we don't get flu or covid shots.
100% same thing here...first kid did it at the doctors recommendation. A couple weeks later caught the flu and was as sick as I have been in 20 years. Never again.

To the OP...my sister I think passed out once or twice when getting the flu shot...but IMO very odd that both of you that have never had reactions had it happen at the same time.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Only reaction I’ve ever had was a vasovagel reaction to a nurse digging in my arm to find a vein, hit a nerve and all the sudden the sweat started popping…

^^ My wife has nerve damage from the same experience. It's getting better, but 8 weeks later she still can't raise her arm above her head without pain ^^

Do you know how pharmacy technicians like those at big box stores are trained to give immunizations? They take an online class. The virtual class + study time is 20 hours. If you get a C minus you pass and can jab people.

So if/when it's an option, I go to an RN or doc for vaccinations.

Sounds like vasovagal syncope (aka passing out). It can be brought on by a lot of things, including getting a shot. A drop in blood pressure like that is likely not directly caused by any vaccine, but rather your mental reaction to it. I hope everyone recovers okay.
I have a very bad vasovagal response to shots/needles. I've passed out more times than I can count after getting a shot or giving blood.

I have learned to lay down and elevate my feet when giving blood or getting a shot. Since I've started doing that, I have not passed out.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Pick your poison, boys. A good friend of mine was an anti-vaxxer. "COVID is BS and the vaccine is a joke." Obviously he never got the vaccine. He died of COVID last winter- 62, non-smoker, in good health before getting it. There are risks with getting vaccines (they're unlikely and most are small) and there are risks of getting what the vaccine is trying to prevent. Pick your poison...

I realize the audience receiving this post won't be very receptive to it. My friend is still dead though and my statement about risks being on both sides of the equation is 100% accurate. Thank goodness we live in America and can each still make the choice of how we want to deal with our personal health issues, rather than having them shoved down our throats by the government. Let's keep it that way...

Not trying to be an azzhat regarding your friend, but I wonder if he "died of" or "died with" Covid. 62 is mighty young (especially since I am older) but there were all sorts of shenanigan's at play with Covid like testing what control a gubment can get away with, massive amounts of money to be made and other less than honorable activities enriching a few or giving power to a few. I read a story (did not verify) early in the pandemic of a Chicago woman dying of Covid. She was 108 and was counted as one of the ~600k Covid deaths. I also read (again, do not verify) that a death from Covid kicked in Gubment monies to all involved. Follow the money as they say.

Look up iatrogenic deaths per year. Depending on the study, the low is number is 50k and high is 200k. That's every year and 100% preventable. 1000's of healthy people die every year from the most insane ways like car accidents, slipping when getting out of the tub, falling off ladders, the above and you name it.

And your last comment about each being able to make choices is simply not true. 1,000's upon 1,000's lost their jobs because they did not get vaccinated.

For me, it's all about percentages and the mortality rate was just not there to stop the world like we did as well as restrict our freedoms like was done. If the mortality rate was high, say > than 10-20%, then implement measures to try to control the uncontrollable.

Again, this is just my 2 cents and is worth exactly what the reader paid for it.

Eddie

Last edited:
A lot of people hold their breathe in anticipation of getting a shot and their brain semi freaks out a bit too. It can cause fainting and nausea.

At 16 I wouldn't think a wooping cough vax is necessary, but then again I'm not a Dr. but a good Dr. will probably tell you that most vaccines aren't necessary when you factor in absolute risk and overall health

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
A lot of people hold their breathe in anticipation of getting a shot and their brain semi freaks out a bit too. It can cause fainting and nausea.

At 16 I wouldn't think a wooping cough vax is necessary, but then again I'm not a Dr. but a good Dr. will probably tell you that most vaccines aren't necessary when you factor in absolute risk and overall health
Whooping cough vaccine wasn't for him. It's for his sister that will be born here shortly

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
Coming to a hunting forum isn't the place to be checking lol
I know. But the ER Dr didn't have an answer other than anxiety from needles. And I don't see how since he has had so many shots before and not one thing had happened before

I started passing out from needles once I was old enough to take them without throwing a fit. I don't ever recall passing out from vaccinations, but have from a dentist's numbing shot (I was 16 at the time), have from giving blood samples multiple times, and have nearly passed out a couple times even into adulthood. One time even watching a video of people passing out caused me to pass out. I just freak out sometimes (needles, blood, injuries to myself and others, public speaking, etc). I'm now 40 and have pretty much got a handle on it. I still get the anxiety but haven't actually passed out in 10 years or more.

OP, I would guess your boy just has some anxiety, and you seeing him smash his face (I'd bet with blood everywhere) freaked you out. Congratulations, you love your boy very much and that scenario scared you. That's just my armchair QB take and is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

When I was 16, I went to my family doctor because I had been sick and needed some meds. The doctor looked at me, wrote the script, and the nurse noticed that I needed a MMR booster. They had me step into a small room near the front, and she gave me the shot. Immediately, things got real fuzzy, and she somehow caught me as I slumped to the floor. Nothing like that ever happened before or after.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
When I was 16, I went to my family doctor because I had been sick and needed some meds. The doctor looked at me, wrote the script, and the nurse noticed that I needed a MMR booster. They had me step into a small room near the front, and she gave me the shot. Immediately, things got real fuzzy, and she somehow caught me as I slumped to the floor. Nothing like that ever happened before or after.
Hopefully he is like you and doesn't happen again. But if it does he says he knows exactly how he felt leading up to passing out, and if that feeling comes on again he will sit or lay down immediately
So if/when he passes out he won't do anything but pass out.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
I started passing out from needles once I was old enough to take them without throwing a fit. I don't ever recall passing out from vaccinations, but have from a dentist's numbing shot (I was 16 at the time), have from giving blood samples multiple times, and have nearly passed out a couple times even into adulthood. One time even watching a video of people passing out caused me to pass out. I just freak out sometimes (needles, blood, injuries to myself and others, public speaking, etc). I'm now 40 and have pretty much got a handle on it. I still get the anxiety but haven't actually passed out in 10 years or more.

OP, I would guess your boy just has some anxiety, and you seeing him smash his face (I'd bet with blood everywhere) freaked you out. Congratulations, you love your boy very much and that scenario scared you. That's just my armchair QB take and is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)
I thought of that scenario, could be it. I sure wouldn't rule it out anyway

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
To try and add a little humor to this thread. When my son was on the EMS gurney. He said "Macie better be pretty darn special, because she hasn't treated us very good so far"
Macie is his unborn/unplanned sisters name.

Last edited:

Scoot

WKR
Not trying to be an azzhat regarding your friend, but I wonder if he "died of" or "died with" Covid. 62 is mighty young (especially since I am older) but there were all sorts of shenanigan's at play with Covid like testing what control a gubment can get away with, massive amounts of money to be made and other less than honorable activities enriching a few or giving power to a few.
The over-reporting and misreporting is absolutely a real thing and complete and total BS. However, he died from COVID as far as I can tell. Totally healthy, got COVID, symptoms were mild for a little bit, then they got worse, then much worse, then hospitalized, then died.

Allergic reactions to vaccines can and do happen. Back in the COVID vaccination days there was a requirement to wait at the administration site for 15 minutes post-injection so you could be treated in case just such a thing occurred.
Just to clarify- syncope or passing out is not an early sign of allergic reaction. If you were allergic you would expect to see a rash, swelling, difficulty breathing, all before your blood pressure got low enough you passed out.

BBob

WKR
Pertussis/Whooping cough isn't something I'd think anyone of any age would want to take a chance on. It likely won't kill you (unless you're an infant) but it can affect you (your lungs) negatively for the rest of your life if you do.

Only reaction I’ve ever had was a vasovagel reaction to a nurse digging in my arm to find a vein, hit a nerve and all the sudden the sweat started popping…

Odd to have two reactions like this one after the other.
The vagus nerve runs through your face into your stomach. What you experienced is most likely exactly what happened to this kid.