WTF Kuiu, waterfowl?

I’m surprised they kept the waders under $1k. I really figured they’d be pushing more than that. That being said; I’ll continue wearing my replaceable Allen’s from Bi-Mart lol

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I remember, before Jason passed, how he said they were going to stay focused on "Ultralight Mountain Hunting." He was hyper focused and whitetail/waterfowl weren't in the picture. Who knows if that would have held through today, but their product development has slowed incredibly since they got venture capital, scaled, and he passed.

I remember, before Jason passed, how he said they were going to stay focused on "Ultralight Mountain Hunting." He was hyper focused and whitetail/waterfowl weren't in the picture. Who knows if that would have held through today, but their product development has slowed incredibly since they got venture capital, scaled, and he passed.
I personally heard Jason say that "KUIU is for western mountain hunters, period. We'll never make gear for fat people, women, whitetail or waterfowl hunters."

SloppyJ

WKR
There is a ton of money to be made in the waterfowl industry. If you think big game hunters are psycho, you haven't seen anything yet. lol
This. Avid duck hunters are the most hardcore sub-set of hunters out there. My old boss said "Watch out if you're dealing with any real duck hunter. You have to be partly crazy to do that." He himself used to be just that and he was part crazy... but in a good way.

I think it goes away from their roots but there is a ton of money to be made.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of waterfowl hunters in this country and this may do very well. Sitka is a huge player in this market. Also, apparently wearing waterfowl gear is cool with teens/early 20's as I see kids wearing Banded, Drake, Sitka jackets all the time and many of them do not even hunt ducks. I even see some girls wearing it. If Kuiu can carve out 10% it would be very significant $$.

As a business owner that is very narrow minded approach that leads to companies going under or being bought out..there are probably 5x or 6x more WT and Duck hunters than "Ultralight Monutian hunters" as a business owner why would you cap your market share in any industry?

I want every hunting company to put out duck waders...the more options the better...some of them are gonna be shit and some will be great the market will decide..I will probably patch up my 5 yr old Drakes use them again this yr and let the market decide if there is a better mouse trap.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
As a business owner that is very narrow minded approach that leads to companies going under or being bought out..there are probably 5x or 6x more WT and Duck hunters than "Ultralight Monutian hunters" as a business owner why would you cap your market share in any industry?

I want every hunting company to put out duck waders...the more options the better...some of them are gonna be shit and some will be great the market will decide..I will probably patch up my 5 yr old Drakes use them again this yr and let the market decide if there is a better mouse trap.
Yeah I'm not advocating for that business plan at all, but Weiser's qoute (which I remember reading something similar in a media interview years ago) pretty well sums up what Kuiu used to be (for better or worse) vs what they are now.

I'm all for options - BUT I've noted it has come at the expense of existing product lines. That said, Sitka was pretty stagnant for a good period of time on big game developement when they spoked out on other fronts, so this isn't just a Kuiu thing.

The all synthetic puffy jacket is interesting, only a few oz more weight then my kifaru lpp.

The duffels seem nice also

I don't hunt waterfowl but I can see some crossover or use of the gear/clothing in other areas of hunting.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk