Would you buy this scope?

ElPollo

WKR
I replied to this thread without reading all the responses first. Went through those afterwards and found it interesting. I find it refreshing that the majority of the responses are so positive given where the rifle scope industry has been headed in the last few years with a preponderance of giant, gamer, PRS scopes that I have no interest in.

Others are positive but with qualifications that are basically saying, yeah but only if add all the other stuff every other manufacturer is making except durable or lighter. Physics and economics are unfortunately a thing. You can’t add the kitchen sink and still come out more durable, lighter weight, and cheaper.

Everything is a trade off and we should be honestly evaluating our needs. I take Ryan’s initial post as an effort to gauge interest in a scope that has everything you need for 95% of western hunting and none of the stuff you don’t. Durable internals, a good reticle that makes the need and extra weight of illumination unneeded, a useable reticle that works well with the magnification range in the first focal plane, a reasonable magnification range that will get 99% of shooters to ranges that their skills allow and still get them on target quickly and get back on target after the shot quickly, good enough glass to get the job done until past legal shooting hours, and do it all in a package that is as light and as compact as you could make it.

There are lots of special case scenarios that make up the other 5% of western hunting or other applications. We should recall the old addage of good, cheap, fast… pick two. If I can get a scope that does what Ryan is suggesting with the weight he is talking about, I’m happy. I’ll probably keep it set around 6-8x and only adjust it for range work or in rare hunting circumstances. I will also hope they are successful enough to make additional scopes for the other 5%, other applications, and for weirdos like myself who are happy with light, compact, and durable 6-8x fixed power hunting scopes with good reticles.

And finally on the cost, in case we haven’t been paying attention, shit has gotten more expensive over the past few years. A Trijicon 10-mile is $1700-1800, the Maven RS 1.2 is $1200. Is it reasonable to expect something that is an improvement to be less expensive? If they can make it, for $1200-1500, I’ll buy one on the first run and probably one a year after that for 2-3 years until they make my ideal fixed scopes. Then I’ll buy probably around 4-6 or so of those right out of the gate to use until I am too old to hunt.

Lawnboi

WKR
OR just keep up on production for both. I am probably in the minority here but prefer MOA because that’s all I’ve ever used and see no issues but would not be opposed to switching if a scope like this was made in MIL only. It sounds like the perfect scope that we’ve all been wanting for way too long. This is very exciting stuff!
Swap now.

Look at the maven. Both moa reticles have been available.

Shraggs

WKR
Even on a tight budget;

First year one for tikka 1, second next year for tikka 2. Regardless of price.

If is as summarized elpollo ie Ryan/Form specs and $1000 one a year for 2-3 years. So 4-5 total

Pretty interested in fixed 8 and not say a fixed 6 since that came up by folks I trust…

And;
So reading this awesome thread I’m speculating which if the companies that have a proven model have the foresight to partner with a project like this. NF has the best but are rigid and not listening to hunters on reticle. I’ve held off on the maven…. Own lots of trijcon to and high regards for their products and how they manage.

Trijcon probably is most shocked by the maven 1.2 success in a market they want. They really are a reticle and couple ounces away from this product.

If the brand says Trijcon on a new model I would have so much confidence in sustained quality, production, etc. and my credit card would reflect that.

ElPollo

WKR
OR just keep up on production for both. I am probably in the minority here but prefer MOA because that’s all I’ve ever used and see no issues but would not be opposed to switching if a scope like this was made in MIL only. It sounds like the perfect scope that we’ve all been wanting for way too long. This is very exciting stuff!
Mil is the way. The only reason to continue with MOA is to deny that the creator of the universe loves 10s or to say, “meh, speed and accuracy aren’t that important.”

atmat

WKR
Even on a tight budget;

First year one for tikka 1, second next year for tikka 2. Regardless of price.

If is as summarized elpollo ie Ryan/Form specs and $1000 one a year for 2-3 years. So 4-5 total

Pretty interested in fixed 8 and not say a fixed 6 since that came up by folks I trust…

And;
So reading this awesome thread I’m speculating which if the companies that have a proven model have the foresight to partner with a project like this. NF has the best but are rigid and not listening to hunters on reticle. I’ve held off on the maven…. Own lots of trijcon to and high regards for their products and how they manage.

Trijcon probably is most shocked by the maven 1.2 success in a market they want. They really are a reticle and couple ounces away from this product.

If the brand says Trijcon on a new model I would have so much confidence in sustained quality, production, etc. and my credit card would reflect that.
Brand really doesn’t matter for function. Most of these are all built at the same place to standards the brand owner decides

The only benefit of a reputable brand I see are resale and any warranty work if needed.

Dave0317

WKR
I think a big issue in this market is like many others, they know what the consumer wants, and they can make it, but they can profit more by convincing the market they need other things.

Why sell a fixed 6x that lasts forever when you can convince someone that a 3-9 is better? Once you have sold them some 3-9s, you release the 4-16, then the 3-18, then the 5-30. Always preaching more power is better, more multiples of erector/mag capability, bigger objective, etc. Like car and cell phone manufacturers changing things every year. Make updates, sell more stuff.

Mojave

WKR
I think the reason for hitting a 4x mag vs 5x or 6x is it would make the eyebox more forgiving, which I would take all day over a high end mag. 12 is plenty. But, I'm just guessing, I have no idea if that's the way it works.
I have a 1.8-14x50 Zeiss. It is 36 or 34mm tube.

They now make it with a 30mm Tube. It is first focal plane, but they are $3500.

I took it in trade on a Blaser, so I don't have that much in it.

Crazy awesome scope, shoot driven hunts with it, stalk and hunt out of a stand.

Killed 3 roe bucks with it this year.

SouthPaw

WKR
At the stated specs, I'd want one on at least two rifles, maybe three. Especially if it says NF/Trijicon/SWFA on it. However if this is to be a S2H/UM product, I will not partake in a pre-sale and it will get a year of 'soak time' in the market before I buy given the Rokstok struggle this year.

Last edited:

Jimbee

WKR
If you made that scope smaller and lighter, with a zero stop and capped windage, included slightly larger hash marks in the reticle for my aging eyes, still made it durable, and could keep it in stock, I’d pay double at least.
Yeah, but I'm trying so hard to be content with the stuff I already have.

chindits

WKR
I would probably buy the OP scope but not till I upgrade my backpacking spotter scope

Much more use and enjoyment in my spotters than rifle scopes, it’s just a utility and priority thing

DavidReed

FNG
Scope specs:

FFP 3-12x40 to 3-12x44mm

Consistently holds zero through 3-foot drops and 3,000 rounds of constant use.

The reticle is specially designed for 25 to 600 yards, with bold outer posts and correct center aiming references.

Zero Stop

Low profile top turret.

Capped windage.

Large eye box

Good glass

20oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, I'd be in for 4 at least.

@Ryan Avery What do you mean by special reticle; the basis of design and function?

amassi

WKR
It's always nice when deer will pose for you long enough to switch back and forth between sighting implements.

The guy he quoted is hunting a 2pt max area so probably shouldnt be shooting at too many bucks that don’t pose for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk