Worst Rifles

Trogon

WKR
Winchester model 260. Almost un-pullably heavy trigger in a non serviceable trigger group. Bolt design causes cocking lever to grind away at the receiver. Awful gun, which is a shame because my dad gave it to me when I was 10.

fatbacks

WKR
Another vote for Ruger Mini 14... fun to shoot, but it is an area fire weapon haha. Will keep it around because it was my dad's favorite rifle for scaring away coyotes at the ranch.

I have an older Savage 111 30-06 with the side button mag release. It’s always shot like crap. But....this was a package deal that came with a cheap Simmons scope and rings. The stock was all over the barrel

I don’t want to spend a ton, but I do want to put good bases, rings, a $300 SWFA, and I’ve already sanded the stock down. Hoping with some good ammo it would turn around. Had it since I was 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Another vote for Ruger Mini 14... fun to shoot, but it is an area fire weapon haha. Will keep it around because it was my dad's favorite rifle for scaring away coyotes at the ranch.

Make sure your aiming directly at them. Don't want to try razzing them by trying to miss. That's the only way your going to accidently hit them. I looked into what it was going to take to make a mini 14 a good shooter 10 years ago or so. It was somewhere around $1500. So twice the cost of the gun new. I remember the 30 round mags always jamming up too.

Haven’t had too many poor rifles. Not a fan of the gritty actions on Savage rifles I’ve owned. I have intentionally avoided all the modern “budget” rifles but wouldn’t have high expectations. Have had plenty of poor shotguns... several mossbergs, an 11-87, Winchester SX3, H&R’s, a BPS that would sometimes fire the follow up shot on closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AirborneEScouter

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Usually stories like that include the word "had", not "have". I don't have room for lemons in my safe. No offense, just an observation.

Jeremy
I would agree. But this is no ordinary rifle - I joined the army with my best friend back in 2005 - his family was like my own and treated me the same. His dad taught me how to deer and squirrel hunt as a matter of fact. Just before we joined, my buddy’s dad bought the then “new” Browning BAR and that got all of us talking about our favorite rifles and what we would buy if money were no object. My friend tragically died in a car accident at the age of 20 just before deploying to some secret hell hole in the Middle East. About a year later my friends dad gives me a gift certificate to cabelas and tells me they’re holding a browning a-bolt white gold medallion and he had bought me a leupold vx3 to go with. All stainless and matching everything. Best looking rifle I own. It’s a 6.5lb 300wsm that kicks like a mule and won’t group less than 1.5” with everything I’ve shot out of it, which is about 10 different types of ammo. So you see, it’s not something I can just send down the road. It will stay in my safe and hopefully my children’s safes and so on. It looks good in the safe though, promise you that

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
A Savage bolt action 22 rifle that I won in a raffle last summer. Likes to fire about every 1 in 15 trigger squeezes. Googled it and turns out it was a common issue so I have to send it to Savage.

OXN939

WKR
Expectations play a big part here, I think. Remlins have gotten a few votes on this thread, but I have one that does perfectly fine for its intended use within 150 yards. Handy little rifle that you don't have to feel bad about abusing.

SCAR 17 has a worse factory trigger than some squirt guns I've owned.

Remlin levers for sure. JM stamp or forget about it.

I bought the stainless laminate expensive one of these and it was the biggest POS....just flaws all around cosmetically and very inaccurate off the bench. Got rid of it after 1 month. Supposedly they have got it together now but I'm hesitant.

Sled

WKR
remington 7400 .243 -- not very accurate and had issues cycling.

remington in general -- worst triggers i've owned and the actions and bolts all need serious work to come close to a factory ruger american, tikka, cheap savage, etc.

worst gun i've ever owned was a stoeger m2000. laundry list of issues. good for nothing. it didn't even make a good boat paddle.

mmac

WKR
Browning a bolt stainless stalker 25-06. It is the only rifle I could never get to group at all. Loved the caliber and only thing I used it for was close woods white tails. Shotguns are more accurate. Sold it to cabelas and still feel bad about passing it onto someone. Got a Kimbet Montana in same caliber because I had so many 25 caliber pills, that kimber is awesome for me.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Remington 700 xcr in 338. Trigger was recalled, stock was flimsy and could easily be twisted to touch the barrel by hand, and the chamber wasn't head spaced properly. With Remington, nosler and winchester brass you couldn't close the bolt. I should have just unloaded it, but ended up taking it apart and building it into a custom 375.

I’ve had 2 Kimber Montana’s. Neither one shot better than 2.5 MOA. Kimber CS walked away from it and I wasn’t interested in rebarreling new rifles.
My Kimber 1911 frame cracked at about 1500 rounds. Nothing but excuses from Kimber CS and they walked away from that too.

My friend bought several new Cooper rifles in everything from 17HMR to 375 H&H. Almost all had problems ranging from bolt lug contact (or lack there of) to bolt stops falling out and sights falling off. None of the repeaters fed worth spit.

1980’s vintage Charter Arms AR7
in 20,000++ rounds it never got through a full magazine without jamming. Thankfully coon are patient enough to wait for a fella to clear a jam before you shoot them.

JLW66

FNG
Winchester 70 Shadow in 7mm WSM. i had it out again last night trying a diff powder and bullet combination. Its me against it and its winning. I am just too stupid or too stubborn to send it down the road. Ive put enough powder and bullets down it to pay for another barrel. I've tried three different scopes and two kinds of bases. Its latest trick is to put two very close together to give you hope and then throw one. I can hear it laughing at me from the safe even now..........:)

Remington model 7 7mm-08. That gun shot most ammo horribly (literally 4-5 inch groups sometimes) and consistently send fliers even with the ammo it would group respectably. I sold it and moved on.
Same. Sold one and never regretted that decision. Maybe you ended up with it !?! LOL

I've never had real good luck with Ruger 77 Hawkeyes. Just not up to my expectations for consistent accuracy, even after doing quite a lot of work on all three that I (once) owned.

MT257

WKR
Kimber hunter. For being an advertised sub moa rifle it never got close. Like others said cs didn’t wanna do much with it. Never own another.