Woodstove

Rokbar

WKR
I have a quadrafire 4300 we bought back around 2009. At the time the goverment had I believe a 40 % rebate on epa approved stoves. Mine listed $2400 and paid $1600. Plus quadrafire gave a $150 coupon for a stihl saw. Dad has a blaze king with the catylic convertor. Probably got it in 1985. GREAT stove. Kind of wish I had went with a blaze king. But the 4300 does a good job.

Jotul F 100. Nice stove and it heats my little house pretty well. I’d go a bit bigger if I did it over again because the small firebox is a PITA sometimes.

Maybe a dumb question, but, how do you circulate the air to heat all that sq ft? Don’t the rooms with outside walls get cold?
Not a dumb question. We have central air/ a furnace for when we don’t run it. That system circulates air 35% of the time year round to keep things from getting stale. The basement is a walkout with concrete walls on 3 sides so they don’t change temperature much. Upstairs the outside walls I’m sure are cooler than inside but both upstairs and down have fairly open floor plans so heat can disperse easily. Behind the stove is a stairwell and heat rises up that freely. We also have pretty good insulation on our outside walls.

49ereric

WKR
Maybe a dumb question, but, how do you circulate the air to heat all that sq ft? Don’t the rooms with outside walls get cold?
Ceiling fans help a lot but yes the farther away from the fireplace the cooler rooms are.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
We just let the heat naturally move through the house. It’s 1200 sq.ft. It’s a little warm in the main areas, and the bed rooms stay around 65-68.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
when we moved into our current place i had a blaze king princess installed, i like it, wanted the king but didnt have the floor joist clearance as it i in the basement, good burn times and pumps heat.

This stove is an absolute furnace. Incredible operation.

Blaze king is also a fantastic Stove as are the Jotul you mentioned.
I'll put a 3rd vote on the vermont castings. Mine is an older model but a friend of mine has one of the brand new models and its amazingly efficient.

Wood is a primary heat source in my house. I plan to top off my oil tank but it will take me probably 5 years to use it all. I might use 50 gallons a winter now that we have wood

My central air system has a "Circulate" function where it runs for like 10 minutes very 20 minutes. During the winter, the house is regularly at 75 degrees

Bobbyboe

WKR
My central air system has a "Circulate" function where it runs for like 10 minutes very 20 minutes. During the winter, the house is regularly at 75 degrees
I have the circulate function too. I dont have a wood burner, but rather a fireplace. Even with the circulate on, my living room could be 75 degrees and the furthest bedroom would be 62-63 degrees. This would be with outside temps in the 10 degree range.

I have the circulate function too. I dont have a wood burner, but rather a fireplace. Even with the circulate on, my living room could be 75 degrees and the furthest bedroom would be 62-63 degrees. This would be with outside temps in the 10 degree range.

yeah you might need to get some sort of extra air flow going. My wood stove is in the basement and one of the intake vents for my system is almost directly at the top of the stairs for the basement so the stove almost directly feeds the system

I never thought I’d see the day but there was an ad for firewood in McCall @400 a cord! Granted, this was primo split red fir/ tamarack mix. My mom and her husband just bought a log truck load of red fir for 2k.

Rokbar

WKR
I never thought I’d see the day but there was an ad for firewood in McCall @400 a cord! Granted, this was primo split red fir/ tamarack mix. My mom and her husband just bought a log truck load of red fir for 2k.
I saw an ad here for hardwood at $160 a cord dumped at your house within 30 miles.

I remember buying truck loads +/- 15 cords for $1000. A decade ago could not find any deals.
Nobody really logs anymore in this part of SW MT, and the guys selling trucks loads are far and few between.

We have a Kuma Classic. Puts out heat and keeps a 3000 sqft house toasty warm burning fur and pine. Designed HVAC system return to take heat from the stove and pump it through the house, if needed. Average inside temp is around 78 in the dead of winter if I do my part feeding it.

I have an old Fabco insert. They were a good stove, built in Eagle ID. They knuckled under after the first round of EPA regulations. It doesn't get that cold where I live, but I still go through 5 plus cords a year. It's interesting how much difference a 10 degree drop in outside temps make in wood consumption.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I never thought I’d see the day but there was an ad for firewood in McCall @400 a cord!
When we lived in Monterey I had a neighbor that would poke his head over the fence to watch me split wood. He'd ask why I would mess with all that work, and I'd tell him I enjoyed it. Then he'd proceed to tell me that he could have a cord of oak cut, split, and delivered for $350. That was in the 90's. I told him "that's another reason why I do it myself". :)

When we lived in Monterey I had a neighbor that would poke his head over the fence to watch me split wood. He'd ask why I would mess with all that work, and I'd tell him I enjoyed it. Then he'd proceed to tell me that he could have a cord of oak cut, split, and delivered for $350. That was in the 90's. I told him "that's another reason why I do it myself". :)
I was logging in the '90s and had access to all of the wood I wanted to cut. Split, and delivered red fir was going for $80 a cord. I'd stack it for an extra $15.

Bobbyboe

WKR
I remember buying truck loads +/- 15 cords for $1000. A decade ago could not find any deals.
Nobody really logs anymore in this part of SW MT, and the guys selling trucks loads are far and few between.

We have a Kuma Classic. Puts out heat and keeps a 3000 sqft house toasty warm burning fur and pine. Designed HVAC system return to take heat from the stove and pump it through the house, if needed. Average inside temp is around 78 in the dead of winter if I do my part feeding it.
Can you explain how the HVAC was designed to move the stove heat? That sounds amazing.