Woodstove

Brooks

WKR
I’m going to buy a new woodstove, been looking at the Jotul F500 V3 my brother has one and it really puts out the heat, has a nice blower on it too. Man those things aren’t cheap !! What kind of Woodstove y’all using ?

49ereric

WKR
accucraft insert in the split rock fireplace built long ago. Heaviest duty until I could find.

We put a Kuma in our house a few years ago. They’re built in North Idaho. It’s been a great stove so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
Blaze king is a good stove.

We run a Quadrafire 4300--EPA approved, super efficient overall. Personally I wouldn't waste a dime on a stove that isn't EPA-approved with the country we're living in right now. We enjoy the clean burning nature of it, but more importantly we don't worry about bureaucratic bullsh!t due to the smoke or ash output.

The 22' pipe throws some heat too!
g0ox3cF6Se2H%9I5KhabdQ_thumb_1f9f.jpg

EdP

WKR
I have an older Oslo without the side door. It is just ok. I think it would work better if I had better draft but the upper combustion manifold is ineffective. I had to enlarge the air inlets by drilling additional holes to get it to draw enough air. I had a Vermont Castings stove in another home and it was fabulous. I wish there had been a local dealer for Vermont Castings when I bought this stove. The Jotul insert I replaced with the Oslo worked perfectly, the upper manifold burned like a natural gas burner but required power to move heat to the house via the blower so I wanted a free standing.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Lopi that I have been using as my only source of heat for over 10 years. It gets heavy use with only a few replacement parts. One thing to look at is the weight of the stove. The heavier stoves are typically made better, but it will also hold more heat so it will heat your home for longer.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Something else to consider is a coal stove. Unless you enjoy splitting wood. I will consider one next.
As I split wood throughout the year, I see my brother having a ton of coal delivered once a year and he’s ready. Fills five buckets up on Sunday and he has a week of fuel in garage. Stove looks nice also. Has a gravity fed hopper that doesn’t need electricity. He can also burn wood if needed.

Elkbelch

FNG
Quadra fire 4300 since 2006. It’s an insert but pretty much heats 2600. Since covid my wife works from home and she burns 24/7 so usage has increased. Ran 5 or so cord through ours last year

Shawn

Last edited:
I bought a Lopi two years ago. It's an insert but does a great job for our needs. Super efficient and was very clean when I cleaned it from top down with the brush and flex rods. Honestly didn't have a lot of choices due to where I live but have zero regrets.

Jotul fire place insert in the great room, the front room has a small vermont casting stove in it also, it has to be super cold out to burn both. Nothing like a warm fire to come home to after a cold day hunting.

Broomd

WKR
@Broomd
That railing is beautiful! I assume that's a custom piece & not an off the shelf product?
Thanks, that was a design by Naturerails that we added to our DIY build in 2007.

There were many different designs and motifs, but the elk just seemed to fit here in north Idaho. Told them what we wanted in size and design and they did the rest. I installed the finished product.
The railings are all to 4" code.

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Kuma. Beautiful little stoves, highly efficient, not sure there's one better.