Women’s 20GA Recommendations

Considering buying my wife a 20GA for Xmas. She loves to shoot clays and has been using my old Mossberg 500 and shoots it well. It’s a pretty old gun and I’d like to get her something new, but I can’t really drag her to the store to check size and fit since it’s a surprise.

Any recommendations out there? Leaning towards a pump or an O/U for ease of use.

I second the semi auto. Softest shooting shotgun out there was the remington versamax. If you can find one of those, even in 12ga, they are awesome. Mine is completely adjustable, LOP and Comb etc.

Bachto

WKR
For an O/U I love my 20g Stevens 555. It weighs right under 6 pounds which chasing chukar around is great. My dad has an 1100 in 12g and I can vouch for how easy it is to shoot but as far as weight it's heavy-ish but not sure how much lighter a 20g would be.

Reactions: WCB

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
The 20 ga 1100 is built on a smaller frame. It's somewhere between 6.5 and 7 pounds. Not as light as the lightest semiautos, but it feels a hell of a lot lighter than the 12 ga.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
My 19 year old daughter has used an11-87 youth since she was 14 and loves it. The great thing about the semi auto's is the lack of recoil.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I was discussing this recently with a friend that is a professional gunsmith. For a semi-auto shotgun he recommended one of the new Benelli or Beretta inertia operated guns over a gas operated semi-auto. Mainly he felt like they have a simpler easy to clean and maintain design versus gas operated guns. I also have another friend that although not a gunsmith he is extremely knowledgeable about shotguns and shoots a lot of clays. He also made the same recommendation. His assessment is that newer designed inertia guns do not have that "chunking" feel when they cycle like the older inertia guns developed a reputation for and are actually quite smooth. I am leaning towards a compact Benelli Monteltro Compact. It is a little more expensive that some other options though.

WCB

WKR
I'd recommend a Stevens 555...We have 4? of them now. 2 20 guages, 28guage, and .410...I am going to pickup a 16 gauge here shortly.

We have put cases of shells through each of them and zero problems. Decent looking wood on them and the price is right. My wife loves her 20 ga. super light and points and shoots well.

I am of the opinion that a semi-auto would fit the bill nicely. You did say a pump or O/U for ease of use but I think that the learning curve with a semi-auto isn't very steep. My son has been shooting a Mossberg SA-28 and I really like the platform. So my first suggestion would be an SA-20. One thing you didn't mention was the budget. I can agree with the above comments on the inertia drive shotguns being a little easier to operate and clean however the price seems to make the case against them when the budget is limited. If looking at an O/U, I like the Stevens and the CZ lines.

Maki35

WKR
O/U- Beretta silver pigeon
Auto loader- Beretta A300

if you're on a budget, go with the 555.

For clay, I prefer an O/U.

Bad habit

FNG
Considering buying my wife a 20GA for Xmas. She loves to shoot clays and has been using my old Mossberg 500 and shoots it well. It’s a pretty old gun and I’d like to get her something new, but I can’t really drag her to the store to check size and fit since it’s a surprise.

Any recommendations out there? Leaning towards a pump or an O/U for ease of use.
A gas operated semi auto 20 ga

OP
Rusty Shackelford
I am of the opinion that a semi-auto would fit the bill nicely. You did say a pump or O/U for ease of use but I think that the learning curve with a semi-auto isn't very steep. My son has been shooting a Mossberg SA-28 and I really like the platform. So my first suggestion would be an SA-20. One thing you didn't mention was the budget. I can agree with the above comments on the inertia drive shotguns being a little easier to operate and clean however the price seems to make the case against them when the budget is limited. If looking at an O/U, I like the Stevens and the CZ lines.
I had the same thoughts and actually just placed an order for a Mossberg SA-20. I changed my mind on the O/U and decided a semi was a better idea. I looked at the Weatherby Element, the CZ 720 and a Tristar model. I wasn't impressed with any of those models but wanted to find something under $800 (if money wasn't an issue I would have gone with a montefeltro right away.)

Lots of great reviews on the Mossberg SA-20, even by Randy Wakeman. I think it'll fit the bill nicely and if she hates it then I guess I'll be forced to enjoy it by myself...darn.

Hunterbug

FNG
You don't say how tall your wife is. My daughter shoots a Browning A5 Light 20ga and she loves it. The semi auto soaks up the recoil. If she's on the smaller side a youth model would be a good choice.

dtrkyman

WKR
Whatever you choose take it to a qualified gunsmith and have it fitted to her properly!

I like a semi auto, Benelli ultra light would be awesome!

qwerksc

WKR
My wife shoots a Benelli supersport in 20ga with a few upgrades. It is light and a very nice shooting gun

Beretta A300 Ultima now available in 20 ga with a standard Kickoff recoil reducing unit. Cabelas shows them for $750 US. It will be very soft shooting! Comes with adjustable length of pull components for the stock that should allow a decent fit for most women.

They show a weight of 7# on the Cabela website but read they were a bit less. Heavy enough for clays and still OK for bird gun.

Wassid82

WKR
I bought my daughter a Stevens 555 and it is a great swing gun and fits great. She's 5'8" and it is just a sweet shooting gun.. I even shot it from time to time