Wolves in Colorado

In Idaho last year we had wolves following us pretty much the whole trip. Everyday on the hike back out we would find fresh tracks in our boot tracks from the morning. We think they were following us waiting to scavenge any kill. Unfortunately for both hunting parties there was no meat to be had :|

Okhotnik

WKR
Who are we to stop a migration of a wild animal that historically encompassed everywhere in the lower 48? Why do we as humans need the control of wildlife completely? Wolves should be hunted just like any other predator and that’s how we manage but what gives us the right to decimate and stop a population from doing what they are literally made to do which is spread and occupy territory and survive? To say “it takes the control out of human hands” blows my mind. We manage through influence and tweaks to “manage” but when I hear control it makes me think that why wouldn’t you want ecosystems to recover back to the way they were for eons before we came here and wrecked a lot of things? I’m 100% for the hunting and culling of wolves “culling when needed” but to stop them from movement of where they always were because hunting will get a whole lot harder is ridiculous. These creatures were here before us and will be long after us. A hunter should care about healthy natural historic ecosystems...., once again this is MY Opinion and my flag remains planted in rewilding and historic natural ecosystems as well as I’m a huge hunter, not a day goes by that I’m not researching or thinking about my next adventure or hunt but I also can recognize where animals need more thought and interest in their existence than that of only, (well this might mess with my hunting). Hunting is going to still be here it’ll just get harder for a while.

Wolves wiped out moose and mountain caribou in N IDaho and BC

Do you have wolves near you?

260madman

WKR
As a hunter one should be concerned about wolves. I live in wolf central. MN and WI have more wolves than the west combined. It’s quite ridiculous what the wolves have done to the deer herd in the northern part of my state. They are beginning to work their magic where I live and deer numbers are down compared to 10 years ago.

Wolves are great to see and watch but don’t get cozy with them. Let the states open a season to hunt them. My regret is not putting in for a tag when we had one season to hunt them before the judge shut it down and changed the rules for reintroduction.

I’m extremely careful calling coyotes because the wolves will come in to the calls. Nothing like having a stare down with an apex predator that weighs 120 pounds. I’m always armed when I’m in the woods because they will follow you. The DNR took out a whole pack that was a little too friendly and ate a couple dogs, this about 15 miles from me. The pack was well known.

CO has gone the way of California and its heading down fast. There are no experts calling the shots. It's liberals pushing their agendas getting stuff passed. Meanwhile, all the hunting groups are nowhere to be found. Over 40k bowhunters hunt this state every year, yet we have less than 2k members.

Sorry guys, cancel XMAS on CO, it's already begun. Gay Govenor, Legalized Weed, giant influx from California, Liberal front range. In march there is a hearing on a ballot iniative to stop hunting bobcats. Why is this even being heard? Because CO is dead!

Wolves? Just a matter of time. This is the last generation that will enjoy hunting in CO, count on it.

tuffcity

WKR
They brought in Yukon wolves which are a larger more aggressive sub species.

Here's one from my trap line 3 weeks ago they won't be importing from the Yukon. :)

E79P2Rg.jpg

Introductions are best done as fur trim on winter jackets or as wall hangers IMO. I'm not anti-wolf but support the hunting and trapping of them

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Here's one from my trap line 3 weeks ago they won't be importing from the Yukon. :)

E79P2Rg.jpg

Introductions are best done as fur trim on winter jackets or as wall hangers IMO. I'm not anti-wolf but support the hunting and trapping of them

Nicely done! Since coming back to BC I'm missing being able to trap. We had one year where we had 12 wolves trapped on my uncle's trapline in Saskatchewan with a few lynx as well (tried finding some of pics, but no luck).

AKBorn

WKR
Yep, no wildlife whatsoever left in AK, zip zilch nada....wolfies got em all....:p
Hmm...if wolves aren't a little too plentiful in some areas of Alaska, why can I, as a non-resident, shoot up to 10 wolves in unit 20 without having to even buy a tag?

Hmm...if wolves aren't a little too plentiful in some areas of Alaska, why can I, as a non-resident, shoot up to 10 wolves in unit 20 without having to even buy a tag?
You can also shoot any bull moose, OTC, with a 30-ish% success rate....that's kinda my point....😁

Wolves wiped out moose and mountain caribou in N IDaho and BC

Do you have wolves near you?

I’m in Fountain, Colorado so not yet as far as I’ve read or seen ....... there is something to be said for numbers though.... mountain caribou and moose have significantly lower numbers than elk and deer already so I can see your point if a population is very low and haven’t experienced wolves in generations I imagine they would take a hit before adaptation....but since moose and mountain caribou are already low then yes that is an issue..... since the first few points I tried to convey were concerning elk and deer I believe once again IMO their populations are large enough to adapt to wolves...... who knows (going out on a limb here nobody have a heart attack) maybe wolves being around would help kill off some of the CWD infected deer who knows

elkduds

WKR
The sky is definitely falling in CO. Better get out quick. Then you can watch from, say, UT how public lands and their many values, including hunting, contribute to a vibrant lifestyle and economy; how the largest elk herd on the continent remains a natural and economic resource; how nonresidents play a substantial role in the hunting hierarchy, how fearmongering in politics and public policy get the scant attention they deserve.

Its the wolf nuts. No, its the gun grabbers, no, its the pot billionaires. Wrong, its the CaliRefuggees, the snowflakes, the manbuns, the gay governor, the scientists, the immigrants, the Subaru crowd, the mtn bikers, the Sierra Clubbers, the libtards, the solar and windies, the women. Run, run for your lives!

Or stay and take part in a state where everyone can participate and contribute. Where public lands are valued and protected, not ravaged and auctioned to the biggest belt buckle.

I feel better, yielding the rant podium now.

Titan_Bow

WKR
https://blog.eastmans.com/mexican-wolves-in-colorado/

My guess is this the story the OP was talking about? From my understanding, CO CPW already determined CO was never original habitat for Mexican grey wolves, and took an official stance against any reintroduction efforts. Am I right?
Wolves have been here for a while, especially in the northern part of the state. There have even been wolves hit by cars on I-25. I think the problem comes if CPW officially announces there is a Colorado population established, because then, SSS or "I was just coyote hunting" becomes a much more serious offense.
As a CO resident, I dont have a kill-em-all mentality on wolves. I have hunted places where wolves exist, successfully, and heard the nearby howls at night. What I am deeply opposed to however, is not allowing states to manage them, and run regulated seasons, just like any other animal,

OP
pumatom

pumatom

FNG
Unfortunately it's the Federal government that would bring them
Idaho fish and game were completely against it when the feds dumped them into Idaho

Idaho fish and game were completely against it when the feds dumped them into Idaho
No they weren't:

Attachments

• letterDirector.pdf
    311.3 KB · Views: 24

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider

FYI - the Federal government does not manage game species - that is left up to State fish and game departments. The Feds manage 'habitat'.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
FYI - the Federal government does not manage game species - that is left up to State fish and game departments. The Feds manage 'habitat'.
That being the case, how did a federal judge decide the grizz hunt will be on hold?

R

tracker12

WKR
Well those diseases did have a way of controlling the population in the world. So maybe you are right.

Billinsd

WKR
The sky is definitely falling in CO. Better get out quick. Then you can watch from, say, UT how public lands and their many values, including hunting, contribute to a vibrant lifestyle and economy; how the largest elk herd on the continent remains a natural and economic resource; how nonresidents play a substantial role in the hunting hierarchy, how fearmongering in politics and public policy get the scant attention they deserve.

Its the wolf nuts. No, its the gun grabbers, no, its the pot billionaires. Wrong, its the CaliRefuggees, the snowflakes, the manbuns, the gay governor, the scientists, the immigrants, the Subaru crowd, the mtn bikers, the Sierra Clubbers, the libtards, the solar and windies, the women. Run, run for your lives!

Or stay and take part in a state where everyone can participate and contribute. Where public lands are valued and protected, not ravaged and auctioned to the biggest belt buckle.

I feel better, yielding the rant podium now.
You forgot the liberals from the East Coast and NY. That's where it all started. Spread to California where it was perfected and jumbo sized before exporting again.