Wolves back onto Endangered Species List. What does this mean for Colorado introduction efforts?

tdhanses

WKR
As i understand it the feds can take over management as far as hunting seasons but they have no say as to reintroduction that is up to the state
Pretty sure states can’t just decide to snatch up some endangered species from other states and move them without federal oversight but I could be wrong and maybe endangered species are free for the taking.

How does the gray wolf’s removal from the Endangered Species List affect this effort?

Advocates say that the delisting will actually make this reintroduction simpler. A federal permit will not be needed for this reintroduction since states are now scheduled to manage their own populations.

Wrench

WKR
Look on the bright side, here in Washington we used to have several hundred draw tags in some elk units, but thanks to the wolves we're down into the single digits....less crowded hunting. No animals compared to the old days....but less crowded.

Pretty sure states can’t just decide to snatch up some endangered species from other states and move them without federal oversight but I could be wrong and maybe endangered species are free for the taking.
Wolves WERE native to colorado so they are just reintroduceing a species that was once found in colorado thats the loophole around te feds stopping it

Last edited:
Look on the bright side, here in Washington we used to have several hundred draw tags in some elk units, but thanks to the wolves we're down into the single digits....less crowded hunting. No animals compared to the old days....but less crowded.
there are several things that contributed to game decline in washington wasnt just wolves same thing in montana & idaho many different contributeing factors
Habitat loss climate change preditation by not only wolves but lions & bears and humans as well are all. Part of it so blameing just wolves
Is bullchit

Wolves WERE native to colorado so they are just reintroduceing a species that was once found in cokorado thats the loophole around te feds stopping it
Wolves ARE native to Colorado.

Extrapation and your inconvenience doesn't change that.

I was qouteing the article I was reading it clearly
Stated they WERE native ,before being eradicated

2ski

WKR
Animal rights group shop for judges and introduce lawsuits in courts where they know they will receive a favorable opinion. Surely you knew that? Why do you think they are always going through the 9th Circuit Court? Colorado will most likely never have the ability to manage wolves in the state. They'll have to deal with 15-20 years of exploding wolf population growth while protected, and by then the state will be firmly blue and management will never be given over to CPW. The agreed upon recovery number for delisting in Idaho was agreed upon by ALL parties at 150 wolves statewide. We're over 1500 confirmed in the state, who knows how many there really are, and they're still filing suits to have them relisted. Colorado is more screwed than they think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Everyone shops for judges and localities. Case in point...Johnny Depp.

wapitibob

WKR

You're not wrong. Wolves haven't been delisted and until they are CO has zero say in how they're managed.