Wolves back onto Endangered Species List. What does this mean for Colorado introduction efforts?

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Until hunting groups adopt similar offensive tactics, sue, do PR, and fight…we will lose.

Outside of buying licenses, hunters and shooters are Uber stingy with money and largely uninvolved with politics. So long as hunters get to hunt, they usually do nothing politically related to hunting.

The left is the opposite, they show up, loudly speak, and get their issues advanced…because they fight.

JjamesIII

WKR
I guess the quintessential expert in his field has spoken! Wtf? A judge from California is now calling the shots on wolf management??? I might as well ask a blind guy if he prefers blonds over brunettes.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I guess the quintessential expert in his field has spoken! Wtf? A judge from California is now calling the shots on wolf management??? I might as well ask a blind guy if he prefers blonds over brunettes.
Well known tactic of the antis: judge shopping. Find one sympathetic to your cause and file suit in their jurisdiction.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The agreed upon recovery number for delisting in Idaho was agreed upon by ALL parties at 150 wolves statewide. We're over 1500 confirmed in the state, who knows how many there really are, and they're still filing suits to have them relisted. Colorado is more screwed than they think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Hope it doesn't end up like Minnesota. There recovery goal was 1,250-1400 and we've been at that level or above since the late 1970's. Current number according to state officials is 2,700 and a few years back was over 3,000 and you can basically double that for the actual number in state which is the largest population in the lower 48. All the while not having a trapping/hunting season since 2014 but that state has no problem paying federal trappers & shooters to kill a couple hundred every year. The cattle farmers in northern MN are losing calves hand over fist and the DNR is only reimbursing them for less that 10% of them kills because they can't prove they were wolf kills. Now thanks to a judge in California there is NO end site.

Last edited:

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t wait till they put wolves in the wiminuche wilderness! As soon as all the elk migrate to all the Reservation land all my Ute and Apache buddies will nockem dead. Government can’t say nothing about that!

I'm all for apex predators being introduced into urban areas.

A wolf or cougar in downtown might make people a little more aware of what's around them.

tdhanses

WKR
The law that was passed says that they need to be reintroduced. What issue at the federal level would not allow this to happen? They’ve reintroduced them everywhere else..
They are now federally protected and the state law doesn’t matter, the feds will now decide on reintroduction and this has taken it out of the states hands.

It’s a federal matter now, similar to the grizzly in the lower 48.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Scroll to the 27 min mark from CPW's March meeting and you will hear that we need a Federal Permit to put paws on the ground in Colorado.

Scroll to the 27 min mark from CPW's March meeting and you will hear that we need a Federal Permit to put paws on the ground in Colorado.
THEY already have the permits had them a while they just aren't telling anyone else that

JjamesIII

WKR
They are now federally protected and the state law doesn’t matter, the feds will now decide on reintroduction and this has taken it out of the states hands.

🙄

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
So I listened to this past weeks CPW commission meeting. Hours of talking could be boiled down to this.

The state has applied for a 10 J status/authorization which would allow for the introduction of a non-essential population. This population group would fall outside the standard protections afforded by the ESA due to that 10 J status.

The USFWS now has the ball. The state has transferred the "several million dollars" to the USFWS. They must now contract a company to the environmental impact surveys etc etc.

CPW expects this process to move quickly. Their current timeline estimates putting wolves on the landscape Fall of 2023. In the interim, Stakeholder groups, working action groups, and public comment will have an "opportunity" to shape that introduction.

Ummm nope the reintroduction in colorado is still going to happen you wouldn't be able to hunt them in colorado to begin with even if they were not put back on the list
so no the feds wont decide anything other then when or if they will ever e hunted in colorado they were listed as endangered when
They were on the endangered species list when reintroduced in wy,mt &id the feds
Didnt decide for them they wont ve decideing the fate of wolves in colorado other then delising

So it’s documented that wolves are already in colorado. Would the feds use that a not introduce? Seems weird to spend so much to reintroduce something that is already here

tdhanses

WKR
Ummm nope the reintroduction in colorado is still going to happen you wouldn't be able to hunt them in colorado to begin with even if they were not put back on the list
so no the feds wont decide anything other then when or if they will ever e hunted in colorado they were listed as endangered when
They were on the endangered species list when reintroduced in wy,mt &id the feds
Didnt decide for them they wont ve decideing the fate of wolves in colorado other then delising
Feds can stop any reintroduction, who knows if they will but they can overrule the state. Otherwise we’ll see grizzlies next.

They won't. Colorado is going to proceed as planned
I dont know if they can overrule the state or not
On this subject

Colorado Parks and Wildlife said it will continue planning efforts to meet the reintroduction deadlines directed by Colorado statute and that reintroduction and management of gray wolves will require close partnership with the federal agency since it is assuming management control of wolves in the state.

As i understand it the feds can take over management as far as hunting seasons but they have no say as to reintroduction that is up to the state