Wolf Reduction Bill

Deadfall

WKR
All that stuff hasn't put a dent in coyotes.
I believe most people underestimate just how smart a wolf is. Might get a few off snowmobiles and airplanes but they wil smarten up real quick. As for trapping, that's a real tough way to get a wolf. Unless there are a lot of folks long lining won't make much of difference.

Personally I like what idaho is doing. Hope it works. 90 percent reduction is awfully optimistic

Squincher

WKR
How about you educate yourself on the whole wolf situation in Idaho before you start running your mouth. How many wolves did Idaho want? Zero. USFWS dropped them off and said there you go. Gtfo with your nonsense about Idaho failing to manage wolves properly. You spent any time trying to help? Doubtful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When did IDGF start managing wolves? 2009? And no reduction toward the target. Failure.

Squincher

WKR
You midwesterners make cheese to go with your incessant whining. Perfect match.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's rich. What have you guys whined about just in the last few months? Not enough deer. Not enough Elk. Too many wolves. Too many non-residents. Non-resident tags don't cost enough. And now, someone else is trying to do something about the wolves.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
That's rich. What have you guys whined about just in the last few months? Not enough deer. Not enough Elk. Too many wolves. Too many non-residents. Non-resident tags don't cost enough. And now, someone else is trying to do something about the wolves.
Nah.
Plenty of deer.
Plenty of elk.

Age class and quality is what's suffering.

There is TEN TIMES the amount of wolves we were supposed to have, seems like a legitimate complaint

There was too many NR in certain units, stepping on each other, blowing bugles at each other, parked on top of each other at trailheads. Needed a change.

Idaho was far, far cheaper then other states for NR and much more forgiving, all Idaho did was make a little adjustment. Needed to be made.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Plenty of elk in the Lolo zone? And surround zones?

just food for thought, wolves should be culled in there somehow soon. Along with fire/habitat work...

Zappaman

WKR
Politicians Vs. wildlife biologists (several who I have hunted with much of my adult life)... I'll take the biologists.

I remember 20 years back in NM when everyone was bitchin' about wolves and cattle/elk mortality and the science finally came back: black bears were proven to kill WAY more elk calves (and cattle) after a long-term study (that took almost a decade to finish).

I'm a 7th generation cattle, sheep, and Angora goat rancher (retired) and I 100% approve of killing ANY predator eating my stock when I see it happening (including Mexican eagles that devastated our sheep in NM and West Texas on SOME years). BUT, making it illegal for me to protect my animals during those PEAK years is THE problem. On the other hand, giving me the political "go ahead" to wipe out a species (that provides balance during normal years) is not the way to do it either.

Kansas (where I live now) has a coyote problem because there are no wolves to keep them in check and many species of upland birds (and rabbits, etc.) are no longer here-- but I can hear coyotes EVERY night- just wish I had more time to help "cull" the herd ;)

The BEST way to reduce coyotes (or wolves) is put the bounty on them (like we did for years via the pelt market- paying $ for hides). Feds support markets with subsidies and so if we could get the biologists working REAL-TIME (in each state) with PRO-ACTIVE programs-- that would work for BOTH land-owners and hunters (and we've done it before, with success). But get the politicians OUT of it and GET the science caught-up to real-time management and we won't be "sitting in meetings" but instead cleaning house WHEN we need to; then letting nature do it's thing after getting things back in balance.

Ya... I also argue with those same biologists hunting buddies about process and it's a damn shame how the bureaucracy (and politics effecting it) stops us from solving problems we used to with simple, easy to find talent like the excellent state government trappers that kept coyotes OUT of SE NM for about 50 years- using traps and long-range rifles... it worked. Then, we "fixed" it and now that talent is gone BUT could come back if we give science based (but real-time) "range management" a chance (again).

I'm not suggesting breaking the law, but changing it to let those most talented fix these problems RIGHT NOW (and with JUST what's needed). There are plenty of public and private resources ready to go to effect this change- but getting politicians OUT and science IN (with programs for both PRIVATE and PUBLIC hunters) is the right way given fed, state, and regional agencies can all agree on the objective.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a great step in the right direction hope it works to some degree sad to see so much incredible elk country void and empty these days when it once flourished in a manner that any hardcore elk hunter dreamed of each ever year for decades until the arrival of the plague…

Attachments

• AA13CA9F-566E-4AF5-8DCA-2DA7197FCBD6.jpeg
    AA13CA9F-566E-4AF5-8DCA-2DA7197FCBD6.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 24
OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
This is a great step in the right direction hope it works to some degree sad to see so much incredible elk country void and empty these days when it once flourished in a manner that any hardcore elk hunter dreamed of each ever year for decades until the arrival of the plague…
Don't forget a huge decline in moose.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
I had hunted western Montana for a couple decades, incredibly great hunting. Then the wolves. The areas I hunted (southgate of the Bob) is now what I would call, "sterile". Quiet. Devoid of game. In comparison to what it once was. There is only one difference maker. There had always been bears, lions, and yotes. Now add wolves. They are shot on sight by everyone year round, not even a dent made in their growing population. The country is too big, and they are not only smart but very nocturnal.

I now hunt eastern Montana. No wolves, and they eliminate them immediately there if one ventures in.

All that stuff hasn't put a dent in coyotes.
I believe most people underestimate just how smart a wolf is. Might get a few off snowmobiles and airplanes but they wil smarten up real quick. As for trapping, that's a real tough way to get a wolf. Unless there are a lot of folks long lining won't make much of difference.

Personally I like what idaho is doing. Hope it works. 90 percent reduction is awfully optimistic
I can show you ranches that aerial hunting, trapping and thermal have been very successful in keeping population of yotes and pigs in check.

Laws are the only thing limiting success on any animal or fish.

Game Laws are supposed to be set in reference to a predetermined sustainability herd number... But they often get weaponized by anti’s.

Last edited:
OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
Don't be afraid, the world is going to keep spinning while they complain and throw their fits, nothing will happen except hurt feelings.