With the ever increasing price of a North American Sheep hunt, where are the best values internationally?

jmart5687

FNG
I called Gana River about booking a dall hunt after seeing their price list. They are booked through the 2028 season right now and told me to figure on adding at least 10% to the listed hunt price annually for every year leading up to the year you are booked.

2026 = $41,800
2027 = $45,980
2028 = $50,580
2029 (Next available opening) = $55,635
I decided to take the leap into sheep hunting in 2019. Covid happens and I was stalled on multiple waiting lists. Fast forward to 22' WSF Sheep week and the prices I was told had doubled. I was at a fork in the road. Go for it or pass? I have seen far too many people exit this world prematurely and one thing is consistent; nobody cares about the vehicle you drove, or how much money you had in your bank account. Don't get me wrong, we all have obligations that come first, but I decided to drive my truck a few more years and pass on the smaller trips here and there. I leave for the Yukon this August and I am ecstatic. There were some moments when I thought I had made a mistake, but in the end we only get one shot at this living thing.

Also, just an observation, but there is no shortage of new trucks driving around, so in my opinion it comes down to a won't and not a can't afford a sheep hunt.

FAAFO

FNG
I decided to take the leap into sheep hunting in 2019. Covid happens and I was stalled on multiple waiting lists. Fast forward to 22' WSF Sheep week and the prices I was told had doubled. I was at a fork in the road. Go for it or pass? I have seen far too many people exit this world prematurely and one thing is consistent; nobody cares about the vehicle you drove, or how much money you had in your bank account. Don't get me wrong, we all have obligations that come first, but I decided to drive my truck a few more years and pass on the smaller trips here and there. I leave for the Yukon this August and I am ecstatic. There were some moments when I thought I had made a mistake, but in the end we only get one shot at this living thing.

Also, just an observation, but there is no shortage of new trucks driving around, so in my opinion it comes down to a won't and not a can't afford a sheep hunt.
Why not have the new truck and the sheep hunt? Neither matters when you’re dead, debt doesn’t matter either when you’re dead.

DIY NZ hunt for Tahr/Chamois- Cost of getting there, hire car and fuel, food, a few nights in motels.
Is there any low key guides that backpack with you. All I ever see is the big outfits and I think for both mountain species it’s usually 15-20k

ozyclint

WKR
Is there any low key guides that backpack with you. All I ever see is the big outfits and I think for both mountain species it’s usually 15-20k
Yes there is. You need to talk with Rokslide member Joseph, AKA- JP100. He runs an operation in NZ that caters for just want you are looking for.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
So I've been browsing several hunts on Bookyourhunt.com and have included a handful of them below for reference to compare some domestic vs international options(all prices in USD).

Dall's Sheep in Alaska, $40,000.

Rocky Mountain Bighorn in British Columbia, $65,000.

Desert Bighorn in Mexico, $65,000.

Stone's Sheep in British Columbia, $125,000.

Blue Sheep in Nepal, $31,000.

Snow Sheep in Russia, $19,000.

Marco Polo in Kyrgyzstan, $27,000.

Mouflon Hunt in Austria, $4,500.

Tur in Azerbaijan, $6,900.

Urial in Pakistan, $20,000.

Mouflon hunts in Europe seem to be the most affordable by far of the sheep hunts, many well under $5,000.
It depends on how big of a ram you shoot. Yes in theory you could shoot a ram in the 80 cm range for that. If you shot a ram in the high 90's or over 100 CM's he will cost as much as the Nepal hunt.

OP
N
How many here put in for the monthly GSCO hunt draws? Those slim odds might be the only chance many of us will get to hunt a North American sheep.

I think I'm going to sign up.

Mojave

WKR
I am not currently very serious about sheep hunting, outside of mouflon as I have so much in the way of ibex, chamois and mouflon here in Europe at good prices.

When I move back in 2027, I'll get serious about the raffle ticket programs. There are a lot of them. The state ones, the private company ones, and the wildlife charity ones. Your odds are not much different between the state tags and the raffles. Cost of entry is lower on the raffles. They have a lot of folks that only buy one chance.

I normally do that.

OP
N
Well I am looking to make this trip happen for 2026 and have narrowed it down to New Zealand (Tahr & Chamois) and Europe (Mouflon & Ibex).

Both will be guided, I'm leaning towards NZ for a true mountain hunt experience.

It seems pretty pricey in NZ to go guided on public land for animals with no season. 10k+ quite a bit more than prices in the states for something similar.

What is similar for a mountain hunt in US? Genuinely curious
Guided Mule deer hunts, which are often done up to 11k ft arent that expensive relatively, 3k ish. Here in CA if you draw a sheep tag the guide fee isn’t terrible, 5kish and you often get a bunch of guys helping, then I’d add coues deer in there as well at under 5k. It’s not elevation pushing but similar to desert sheep country.

Last edited:
The other one is throw in the mix as an example would be mule deer in Catalina, gorgeous steep terrain. They’re trying to get rid of them like tahr and the logistics are pain similar to NZ and I believe the price for that hunt is 3.5k

CB890

FNG
Guided Mule deer hunts, which are often done up to 11k ft arent that expensive relatively 3k ish, here in CA if you draw a sheep tag the guide fee isn’t terrible, say 5k ish and you often get a bunch of guys helping, then I’d coues deer in there ask well at under 5k. It’s not elevation pushing but similar to desert sheep country
Ok interesting info.

I suppose there is also though variables around number of days hunting, food, equipment, logistics etc