Winterkill Update: Utah, Idaho, Wyoming

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I were looking the front range units and eastern plains is about the only place there will not be impactful winterkill in Co.
Ya, and those areas are still in severe drought. We've had maybe 7" of snow all winter so far at my house, but that's pretty common unfortunately. We've had a couple winters in the last 15 years where we only got 3". The last real winter we had was 2006-2007.......and before that.....who knows.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Peak line is 1993, the black line stops and is this year or 2023. Next closest for height is 2008 and 2017 is quite a ways behind. All years w definitive and impactful winterkill for mulies.

I am in the pagosa/Durango/silverton area the next few days. Pry 2-4’ of snowpack more than normal everywhere animals normally winter. Hope the deer made it down to NM if they did not I doubt they made the winter.

Folks we are hanging out with just were up at Jackson for the snowmobile hill climb and they said it is worse up there in wyo than here but not by much. 10” of snow here again last night..

Gunny is slightly better than 08’ I would say just due to the way the storms came through. So not as bad but still a big winter kill for deer.

More snow all next week so I will be burring my head and enjoying the best sled access snowboarding in the past 15 years.

If I were looking the front range units and eastern plains is about the only place there will not be impactful winterkill in Co.

Since I only post pics of dead bucks here is one buck from this past Nov that made it through the late season slaughter just to die in the winter. A friend found his deadhead on his private land. To bad he had that “look”. Guess he measured 34.5” wide to that kicker. When older bucks are not making it = it is not good!!

View attachment 537184
thanks man

Always wondered if SWE in '93 beat '08, looks like it did.

I just had the Gunni Bio (Diamond) on the podcast last night. It should be up today.

And that buck!!!!

I just talked to the Bio regarding Region G deer and he said they are expecting 30% winter kill on 1+ year olds and total loss of the fawns.

CorbLand

WKR
Peak line is 1993, the black line stops and is this year or 2023. Next closest for height is 2008 and 2017 is quite a ways behind. All years w definitive and impactful winterkill for mulies.

I am in the pagosa/Durango/silverton area the next few days. Pry 2-4’ of snowpack more than normal everywhere animals normally winter. Hope the deer made it down to NM if they did not I doubt they made the winter.

Folks we are hanging out with just were up at Jackson for the snowmobile hill climb and they said it is worse up there in wyo than here but not by much. 10” of snow here again last night..

Gunny is slightly better than 08’ I would say just due to the way the storms came through. So not as bad but still a big winter kill for deer.

More snow all next week so I will be burring my head and enjoying the best sled access snowboarding in the past 15 years.

Since I only post pics of dead bucks here is one buck from this past Nov that made it through the late season slaughter just to die in the winter. A friend found his deadhead on his private land. To bad he had that “look”. Guess he measured 34.5” wide to that kicker. When older bucks are not making it = it is not good!!

View attachment 537184
I have loosely followed the hill climbs since 2004 and I can’t remember the last time they were able to do it without it being a dirt track up the hill by Sunday. They didn’t even open up the rock faces this year.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone set sights on finding some of these deer & elk? First year out west and, although sad, I’m looking to go find some antlers/deadheads once the shed ban lifts.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone set sights on finding some of these deer & elk? First year out west and, although sad, I’m looking to go find some antlers/deadheads once the shed ban lifts.
The shed hunters will be busy when the ban lifts although I’m sure a few outliers already are. Be interesting to see what’s picked up.

I’ve learned there can be a bad winterkill yet an individual hunter may see that many dead animals. Just depends on where you end up on their winter range.\

Let us know once you get out.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
The shed hunters will be busy when the ban lifts although I’m sure a few outliers already are. Be interesting to see what’s picked up.

I’ve learned there can be a bad winterkill yet an individual hunter may see that many dead animals. Just depends on where you end up on their winter range.\

Let us know once you get out.
Will do. In Utah & absolutely love hiking in rough spots. Limited shed hunting experience but I find sheds/deadheads back in MN 1:1. Based on some skiing trips and mountain drives I have a few ideas where I might see something on public ground. Saw a clobbered cow elk on a drive who was looking a bit lean. Just wish so badly they could cart the game down to the low-elevation part of town or create game corridors so they could cross town without crossing I-80

Will do. In Utah...
Illegal to pick up deadheads in UT. You can try and get permission from the DWR though, I think. I believe if you find one you have to leave it there and report it to the DWR. They may give permission to take it. Not sure how it works exactly.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Illegal to pick up deadheads in UT. You can try and get permission from the DWR though, I think. I believe if you find one you have to leave it there and report it to the DWR. They may give permission to take it. Not sure how it works exactly.
That’s exactly how it works. I will be pinging them, with the winter loss I’d be shocked to hear “oh let us send an agent…” maybe I’m wrong. I’d be happy to find even if I don’t collect. I come from bass fishing tournaments & I think catch and release antlers are cooler than nasty collections of old bone buried in a garage. Actually rubs me raw why so many people have giant collections. This stuff is all a slippery slope and great should not fuel our passion, ruins things for all of us.

CorbLand

WKR
I got about 9" overnight in Davis County. I'm at 4,800 feet. We had about 15" on Monday. It's crazy. My kids were sleeping in the yard tonight.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I have been helping feed about three miles up from my house and there was about 10 inches up there.

This was on the 24th.

D9983162-BB76-42A5-92E1-4F5E2DFE7B4E.jpeg

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
It really is brutal to see even though it's just part of the cycle. Been starting to see some rough critters and have seen some dead in central Idaho. As others have said, winter just won't quit. We are supposed to get another 16 inches tonite and tomorrow but it looks like FINALLY there is a break at the end of next week with Temps in the 50's and some SUN!
Couple of photos last couple days.

Randy20230330_110903.jpg20230330_095140.jpg20230330_095132.jpg

CorbLand

WKR
Thanks for helping them.

How are they looking?
Not terrible. We have lost 5 that I can see. I am sure that there are a few more down in the ditch. Only lost two of those in the last month or so, which is a good sign.

Need the snow to melt and let them be on their way.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Not terrible. We have lost 5 that I can see. I am sure that there are a few more down in the ditch. Only lost two of those in the last month or so, which is a good sign.

Need the snow to melt and let them be on their way.
One of the reasons winter feeding is controversial is people will say “well, you can’t feed them all”. True but the ones you can feed sure do a lot better. Thanks Corb.

CorbLand

WKR
One of the reasons winter feeding is controversial is people will say “well, you can’t feed them all”. True but the ones you can feed sure do a lot better. Thanks Corb.
Can’t save them all but about a week ago I had to drag one out of the road. It was too weak to walk and couldn’t hold its own head up. I gave her about 5 pounds of feed and left. Fully expected to find her dead the next day. I saw her yesterday, still going strong.