Winter plans

Things are wrapping up here. Yesterday I had to mothball my trailer because the river froze over and my goose hunting got curtailed a little. Now comes the three months between seasons but I have to stay home to feed stock and plow snow. So--- what is on the table to fill those months.

Of course there is some reloading to do. My partner got gifted a Marbles knife and asked me to design and construct a scabbard for it. There is always gun and saddle maintenance. I have some finish work to do on the kitchen remodel. Maybe some horse work on a new filly if it warms up. And of coarse some permits and design work with my consulting business. (Note the priorities!)

What projects do the rest of you have to fill the frozen months?

AZ8

WKR
Archery deer if my unit doesn’t close. So far, the quota hasn’t been met, so I’ll try and get out in January.

Quail hunting.

Predator hunting.

Going back to Mekoryuk helping someone on their Muskox hunt end of January.
And then tagging along on a desert sheep hunt in Mexico a week later.
Should be an interesting swing of temps/clothing in 6days!
Been 6yrs in a row I’ve had at least one Jan/Feb hunt to go on…it’s really been nice.

Decker9

WKR
I use to trap in the winters for marten and lynx, but since the pine beetle and logging, not much fur is around anymore. I picked up a new hobby a few years ago, my warm basement is where you’ll find me in the cold months now. My lady has a late season goat tag still also, we’re shooting for the end of February.

A190DBE7-C584-42C2-9414-E6B51EAF1967.jpeg

*zap*

WKR
Fitness and strengthen knees #1. Camping. Deer hunting till 2/1, then small game. Trapping. Dehydrating food & canning. Figuring out life.....

hunterjmj

WKR
Finishing the interior of our shop, build shelving, coyote hunting, ice fishing, outside projects weather permitting and lots of things that don't get done in the warmer months.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I need to build some new chaps before summer, possibly a new saddle scabbard. We’ve got a young mare that needs worked and ridden so I can have her ready for the summer/fall season. I’ll fit in some coyote hunting and shooting throughout the winter as well. Need to get down to my folks in Texas and do some hog/sheep hunting as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
Ice fishing, play hockey couple times a week when I find drop ins, buddy rentals, lift , hike the local hill. Fly fish a local bite when warm spells hit. Maybe trap marten a couple weeks, kids would like to snowshoe a little for that. (they claim😂)
Load some ammo and shoot some to iron out some loads for the 6.5 and 22 Creedmoor.
Predator calling and ice fishing trip to the east side would be fun.
Should plan another trip to Galveston or other place ( any suggestions?) on Texas coast for fishing and hopefully warmer than the 40 degrees we had there last year when we arrived! Fly rod and or surf, spinning fishing suggestions allowed! 👍🏼 Got some nice sheep head and specks on a clouser last year.

49ereric

WKR
Snowshoe for health
reloading the 8mm/338 for once
borescope a problem barrel
reforming brass

N2TRKYS

WKR
Rifle deer season until February 10th, then get ready for the start of turkey season in March. I’ll wrap up turkey season towards the end of May. That’s when the long 3 months starts before it’s time to get ready for deer season again.

So my plans for the off season…..fishing. 😎

Winter steelhead, calling lions, a little coyote and goose hunting, we are going to Hawaii end of January, and still need to can and grind a bunch of meat, maybe cut a little wood too, though I think we’re pretty good for the winter

Gonna do some diving too, and ditch land work and get back on the ocean full time, I have decided that’s what I’m made to do. Life is too boring when I’m not jumping in the ocean to pay bills

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Snowshoeing, fitness, snowmachining, long range shooting, hopefully winter moose and spring bear.