Winter house heat setting?

AKDoc

WKR
67 for us in the winter, but the bedroom is kept lower (60'ish) with the window slightly open unless it's single digits or below or crazy wind blowing.

We also have a small wood burning stove in the family room, which is great...we burn a lot of wood every winter that we cut and split to keep the wood shed full each fall.

aer21

FNG
73 during the day, 69-70 at night. I heat with wood during the winter and try to keep it around 73.

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Seeing lots of comments with two settings…..a high setting for the daytime and a lower setting for the nighttime.

i recall hearing (or maybe an urban legend) that it’s more cost efficient to keep the hvac set at a constant setting instead of varying it over day and nighttime settings. The theory (or urban legend ) is that whatever you save with a lower nighttime setting, you lose bringing the house up to the daytime setting.

anybody have any insight
Hvac guy here

Nonsense.

I would caution some folks to use some higher setpoints if they want long term reliability from their equipment, but what you posted is not true

Hvac guy here

Nonsense.

I would caution some folks to use some higher setpoints if they want long term reliability from their equipment, but what you posted is not true
Another hvac guy, there is no "correct" temp. Set it at whatever temp is comfortable for you. You won't notice a difference between a setting of 68 or 69 degrees.
I always recommend a maximum 3 degree difference between schedules. Example: 66 at night and 69 during the day.
Smart thermostats are a waste of money and are hot garbage.
However ductless and variable speed heat pumps are meant to maintain temperature so keeping them at a constant setpoint is desired.

Pro tip for those with spouses that focus on the number. Some thermostats can be programmed to display an offset temperature. So you can set it for 68 but the display says 70. Everybody wins

z987k

WKR
Do you guys that use almost exclusively wood just have a ton of acreage you can harvest from?
Even if I did, the time involved, I'd have to give up a hobby or work less.

I love my wood burning stove, but at least here, wood to keep the place 70 all winter is significantly more expensive(by the cord) than the natural gas to keep it 70. The wood is for extra toasty evenings and ambiance more than cost savings.
I know we can get permits from the FS to cut trees, but the time involved in that, it's far cheaper to pick up an extra shift at work and pay for the NG or wood.

49ereric

WKR
What are you guys setting your temp at in the winter? I'm set at 67 and my wife says it's freezing? Ha!
split rock fireplace so whatever I want… front room 83° & up to keep the other rooms warmer than cool. I keep a fan in the front room when it gets above 83°.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Sometimes it's 64 in the house and the wife thinks it to warm, then when it's 67 it's to cold. I just don't know???????