Wine connoisseur's

Bobbyboe

WKR
Need some help from the local Wino's. My wife's birthday is coming up and she enjoys wine on occasion with dinner. Do any of you recommend a wine club or bulk (case) variety to get as a gift? She opens a bottle many once a week. It seems that she prefers red's, but also drinks blended wine too. So, does anyone know a company or site who offers variety cases? Or is a club membership the way to go?

boom

WKR
i joined a few clubs. its usually because i let my guard down because i had a few. i live in Sonoma Wine Country.
wine clubs will only mail to you during the cool months. (i pick up)

i feel the wine comes in kinda fast and furious. it was a bit much. you have an allotted amount you have agreed to buy. i have since quit all the clubs and just buy as needed.

btw, its approaching the warm months. i would call a company she likes and order up a case and let her enjoy.

idig4au

WKR
Have a look at some of the wineries in Napa Valley as many offer wine club memberships. I belong to Jarvis Estates Winery as I'm quite fond of their Merlot Reserve and Petit Verdot

16Bore

WKR
Maybe a different option:

Buy her the “World Atlas of Wine”. It’s a great coffee table book and about as informative as it gets. Then write her date coupons for a few wineries in your area. Do the whole picnic thing when you go. You prepare everything. Taste and enjoy together.

She’ll love it and it’s pretty damn fun.

Just a thought.

I’m not always a grumpy asshole...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd skip the clubs and such, she'll end up getting a bunch of wine she doesn't like. Figure out what her favorites are and then go from there. There's a lot of crap out there.

wesfromky

WKR
Do you all have a local vineyard? Might be cool to arrange a visit/tasting or just buy something local for her.

Other options would be gear to preserve wine for a couple days vs having to drink it all in one sitting or letting it degrade.

See if you can get her a bottle of Thumbprint Cab assuming Cabs are in her wheelhouse. A friend brought a bottle of that over for dinner last week and it was one of the best bottles we have had.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you it is one of the best spots to find gems for under $10 a bottle, sometimes even around $5 - but no I would not recommend 5 buck chuck.

Wolf13

FNG
Any idea what type of red she likes? That is a very broad type, if you can narrow it down towards a few types and a rough budget it would help a lot. Not all "cheap wine" is bad, and not all expensive wine is worth the price.

Maybe a different option:

Buy her the “World Atlas of Wine”. It’s a great coffee table book and about as informative as it gets. Then write her date coupons for a few wineries in your area. Do the whole picnic thing when you go. You prepare everything. Taste and enjoy together.

She’ll love it and it’s pretty damn fun.

Just a thought.

I’m not always a grumpy asshole...

Now it’s my turn @16Bore, you just need to say phuqit and buy a Bota Box... after enough rounds you realize the shit ain’t as complicated as you think 🤣

Pro953

WKR
What would you consider a reasonable price point. 10, 15, 30, 60 for the wine. Hard to give any feedback with out that.

Something to consider would be a company like VineBox for a chance to try some new stuff or Winc for a curated mix. On the higher end, bounty hunter has some programs with a solid wine mix.

I would steer away from a winery specific club unless she has a winery she is a fan of already, if not it can be a bit monotonous.

What state are you in, shipping laws on wine can complicate things a bit and add a bit of cost as well.

As we are in a support local business mode here. I would consider finding your local bottle shop and tell them what you are trying to do. Ask for them to put a cool case together of wines for you both to try together. I bet they will find a good mix and cut you a deal at the same time. Just make sure you give them a total spend. 200,400,600 etc... so you do not get stuck with sticker shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now it’s my turn @16Bore, you just need to say phuqit and buy a Bota Box... after enough rounds you realize the shit ain’t as complicated as you think 🤣

Now the smartass remark is out, but her one of these. Promise you won’t regret it. You too 16bore, I’ll buy you both a bottle.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. I sent the afternoon and evening looking though and going over the suggestions mentioned above. As far as price goes, she typically spends no more than $20 on a bottle, typically around $10-15.
We do have local wineries, but many tend to be of the fruit variety, not specifically grapes. Some are good, but tend to be very sweet, which she describes as a dessert wine.

After looking through different clubs and their makeup, I decided to make my own case, picking bottles based off of a combination of local and professional reviews. My target price, which I stayed within, was were anywhere from $10 to $30 a bottle. Something I may also add to the gift is a nice, possibly leather bound, book to keep track of the good and bad she tasted. My thinking is she can keep track and continue to experiment or stick with a favorite if/when she finds one.

I appreciate all the help guys!

16Bore

WKR
$10-15/bottle is about the right price point for most palates and a lot of good wines there, IMHO. $30-$50 and you’re either trying to impress somebody or know what you’re talking about. Over $100 and you’re on your way to being a sommelier.

Had some business with the owner of a vineyard who told me “over $20/bottle and you’re just buying a label”. Not that his stuff was in Wine Spectator though.

Anyway, it’s pretty fun stuff and I’ve never met a gal that doesn’t like visiting vineyards.