Windproof rubber raingear

PiperFM

FNG
Foes anyone make rubber rain gear with a wind stopper layer like a lot of gore-Tex jackets have? I like my rubber rain gear for sitting, since I don’t have to worry about it wetting out, but I hate that on warmer days when the wind picks up and I don’t want too many base layers you get cold quick.

EdP

WKR
Rubber raingear is windproof by its very nature. You may need to focus on the closures if you are having a problem (cuffs, bottom, neck area).

OP
P

PiperFM

FNG
Is it really tho? I’ve had a gore Tex shell and a rubber raincoat out in the wind with a hoodie underneath, and whenever the wind gusts, the rubber rain gear and hoodie would always wick away FAR more heat than the gore Tex wind stopper garment on top of the hoodie would.

Rubber may be somewhat windproof but it doesn’t tell the wind to F-off like a good gore Tex rain coat, be it Arcteryx, Sitka, or my Jetstream jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EdP

WKR
You are conflating windproof and thermally insulating. Heat doesn't "wick away," moisture does. Take your rubber rain jacket, stretch a section over your mouth and try to blow thru it. If you can't blow air thru it is windproof. If you can it has holes in it and isn't windproof or waterproof anymore and you can throw it away.

You can't reasonably expect pure rain gear to provide much in the way of thermal insulation. If your rubber raingear is right against your body the wind is going to strip heat away. Goretex Windstopper is a highly breathable windblocking fabric. Not waterproof, breathable so you stay dry from the inside and protected from the wind. The fabric of your rubber raingear does not breath at all so you will be damp inside it even sitting still. That alone will cause you to be colder when the wind blows.

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
Rubber is 100% wind proof. You won’t find any kind of rubber with an extra wind proof layer. The surface of the rubber just gets colder than other fabrics when it’s windy and wet.

Ron.C

WKR
Agree with whats being said above. Rubber rain gear is a closed layer. And it can feel very cold and clammy if its snug fitting. It doesn't breath and will not allow wind to penetrate. That said, rubber rain with bad cuffs, collar and closures will allow both water and wind inside.

I use HH Imper techs here on Vancouver Island for blacktail/black bear and it works very well for long glassing sits in snotty weather even waterfowl hunting in out local alt marsh. The jacket can manage moisture as well as any rubberised rain gear can with its ability to Velcro cuffs closed, main zip with buttoned storm flap and overlapped back vent.

It's not overly heavy and I've worn it goat hunting with nothing more than light merino wool LS T and johns and felt quite comfortable and dry when moving through soaking wet slides or layering up to sit up high and glass in freezing temps.

All that said, after years of using this stuff in a variety of harsh environments, I have never once thought "I wish it were more windproof"