Wind, Thermals & Topography

jcmupar

FNG
I have an area that I want to get into for a morning and evening glass but I am struggling with how to approach glassing the basin. The only way to access basin is to gain a ridge from the east side. The ridge runs north to south and then J hooks to the west. I will be able to glass northwest, west and southwest from the ridge down into the basin. The prevailing winds in the area are consistently blowing east to west, but my concern is morning thermals funneling west down into the basin (same for the evening when the sun starts to set) when the prevailing winds die down. All things be equal in this scenario what is my best plan of attack?

How far are you able to stay on your entry and exit from where you believe animals are going to be? I know I spent a lot of my early career being much too concerned about the wind blowing hundreds and thousands of yards away towards animals when realistically by the time the scent made it to where they were it was so dispersed they would not clock it.

Not to say you cannot get unlucky with how scent travels, but I spent way too much time worrying about it and not enough time sending it.

Wind rules the day more the closer you get to an animal. Pay particularly close attention to geographical features that will convey your wind in a narrow band, i.e. avoid crossing a steep Canyon channel uphill of an animal around when thermals are shifting, that will pull your scent much more directly to an animal than a wide open hillside will.

Jakerex

WKR
How far are you able to stay on your entry and exit from where you believe animals are going to be? I know I spent a lot of my early career being much too concerned about the wind blowing hundreds and thousands of yards away towards animals when realistically by the time the scent made it to where they were it was so dispersed they would not clock it.

This ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jcmupar

jcmupar

FNG

Not to say you cannot get unlucky with how scent travels, but I spent way too much time worrying about it and not enough time sending it.

Wind rules the day more the closer you get to an animal. Pay particularly close attention to geographical features that will convey your wind in a narrow band, i.e. avoid crossing a steep Canyon channel uphill of an animal around when thermals are shifting, that will pull your scent much more directly to an animal than a wide open hillside will.
Exactly the answer I was looking for. I should be at least 800 yds away from where I think they will be. Noted on the geographical features causing micro climates, I don't think those get talked about enough mainly because it is so nuanced. Appreciate the insight!

Mcribs

FNG
I also over thought it for a while.
Exactly the answer I was looking for. I should be at least 800 yds away from where I think they will be. Noted on the geographical features causing micro climates, I don't think those get talked about enough mainly because it is so nuanced. Appreciate the insight!
you can use micro climate to your advantage too. Some cool timber pockets can down draft while the adjacent sunny avalanche chute is going up. Stalked up the timber early afternoon before thermals shifted. Sometimes you just never know what it’s doing until you’re in it.

I also find if you're either on the top of the ridge or the backside of the ridge less scent may make it to the opposite face. This is a good picture, you can see how the second blue line from the top, as it goes left to right, it should go over the top of the animals you're worried about spooking.

mw_turb_002.jpg

Mcribs

FNG
Another thought that I often have, is that unless you are hunting pristine wilderness way the f back, all these animals pick up scattered human scent from time to time. I think when the scent becomes stronger and specific for them is when they start to spook. Obviously dependent on where and when you are hunting.

OP
jcmupar

jcmupar

FNG
I also find if you're either on the top of the ridge or the backside of the ridge less scent may make it to the opposite face. This is a good picture, you can see how the second blue line from the top, as it goes left to right, it should go over the top of the animals you're worried about spooking.

mw_turb_002.jpg
this is awesome. Much appreciated!

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
800 yards is a non-issue. Even if you've been hunting for 10 days straight sweating your rocks off with the wind smoking right at them.

I exclusively bowhunt. So, getting the wind right is the #1 concern every time. Get the salient data points on the thermals and prevailing winds, then manage it the best you can and be aggressive.

Don't worry about getting winded from a half mile away. You'll bag way more critters being too aggressive than overly timid, especially if you're packing a boomstick.

Good luck. Show us the success pics!